Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

11 Things an Atheist Can't Do

Started by dalebert, May 16, 2014, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I talked about this on the air recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/16/atheists-discrimination_n_4413593.html

QuoteHere are 11 things atheists couldn't -- and in many cases still can't -- do because they didn't believe in God.

Quick summary:
1. Live
2. Run for office
3. Be trusted by their peers
4. Be respected by their leaders or neighbors
5. Have a job
6. Get custody of their children
7. Volunteer in their communities
8. Advertise their beliefs, or lack thereof
9. Participate in life without violating their beliefs
10. Create an organization
11. Become a Boy Scout

Umiko

BS! i was a boy scout (at least i liked the hiking  ;) and i was an atheist at the time!
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: dalebert on May 16, 2014, 01:58:13 PM
I talked about this on the air recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/16/atheists-discrimination_n_4413593.html

:o

After reading that list I think that the best thing about the USA is the 3,500 miles of ocean between me and it......

•  

JamesG

Yup. Can't trust those Godless bastards.

Quote from: vukapg on May 16, 2014, 02:09:42 PM
After reading that list I think that the best thing about the USA is the 3,500 miles of ocean between me and it......

Intolerance is a universal human condition. If the situation were reversed, the religious would be bitchin' about being discriminated against instead. And they would be right.
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: Umiko Liliana on May 16, 2014, 01:59:47 PM
BS! i was a boy scout (at least i liked the hiking  ;) and i was an atheist at the time!

Maybe your troop decided not to enforce the ban, but there is a ban on policy. Did you actually read the article or at least that part?

Quote from: vukapg on May 16, 2014, 02:09:42 PM

The list isn't about the U.S. in particular. Some of those points address other parts of the world more so.

Jess42

Hey dalebert, that radio show you cohost, is it on SiriusXM or is it something local in your area. From reading some of your post it sounds like it would be an interesting show.

BTW I never wanted to be in the boyscouts anyway.
  •  

Umiko

Quote from: dalebert on May 16, 2014, 02:13:50 PM
Maybe your troop decided not to enforce the ban, but there is a ban on policy. Did you actually read the article or at least that part?

The list isn't about the U.S. in particular. Some of those points address other parts of the world more so.
never told the troop. the council had actually asked me to take over my old troop since the scoutmaster had retired
  •  

JamesG

If you never told them you were never an atheist. Ignorance being bliss and perception being reality.
  •  

Umiko

Quote from: JamesG on May 16, 2014, 02:35:45 PM
If you never told them you were never an atheist. Ignorance being bliss and perception being reality.
i see it as none of their business what my belief is or not. i in act the "don't ask, don't tell" system in my everyday life as well as "if its not my problem, i'm not getting involved" type of deal
  •  

JamesG

•  

Umiko

Quote from: JamesG on May 16, 2014, 02:40:56 PM
Strange how that works out eh?
its works well if your master ninja like myself. i can do some major defection that the subject is just tossed and we just move on with our lives. if i have to, i just say yes i do and i get what i need accomplished than move on with my life. like i went to a christian school. i was atheist but i still went and no one asked me or i gave off the persona that i was atheist. pretending could really help sometimes unless it irritates you to the point you need to speak up.
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: dalebert on May 16, 2014, 02:13:50 PM

Point #1 did not apply to the US, but all the rest of them did. All the examples were USA based although #8 mentioned British Columbia after the US example.
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: Jess42 on May 16, 2014, 02:24:28 PM
Hey dalebert, that radio show you cohost, is it on SiriusXM or is it something local in your area.

It's replayed by lrn.fm and they apparently have a satellite option. Other than that, it's available in the normal podcast ways, either downloaded directly from my website (linked in my sig) or through the RSS feed or iTunes. I'm experimenting with posting episodes to YouTube soon actually. The first episode is rendering right now. Cross your fingers.

Jess42

Quote from: dalebert on May 16, 2014, 03:30:05 PM
It's replayed by lrn.fm and they apparently have a satellite option. Other than that, it's available in the normal podcast ways, either downloaded directly from my website or through an RSS feed or iTunes. I'm experimenting with posting episodes to YouTube soon actually. Cross your fingers.

Oh yeah the youtube deal would be nice. I am definately gonna try to find it on the SiriusXM. Do you have any idea what category or station and times your show is on if it is on XM? My fingers are crossed.
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: Jess42 on May 16, 2014, 03:56:46 PM
Oh yeah the youtube deal would be nice. I am definately gonna try to find it on the SiriusXM. Do you have any idea what category or station and times your show is on if it is on XM? My fingers are crossed.

It's not a consistent time anymore. We're part of a line-up of shows that play in between live shows. We used to do a live show on LRN but then we needed to change times and they didn't have any time slots available that we wanted to be on. We're still live via UStream right now but are considering switching to Google Hangouts.

Jess42

Well I'll definately start checking, with a face like that in your avatar, who could resist listening. :)
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Jess42 on May 16, 2014, 04:39:04 PM
Well I'll definately start checking, with a face like that in your avatar, who could resist listening. :)

You have no idea how much I just needed to laugh a bit right now.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Jill F on May 16, 2014, 04:44:04 PM
You have no idea how much I just needed to laugh a bit right now.

Now now Jill. I definately didn't mean anything bad, but I love that expression, kind of like controlled insanity. So I can only imagine the show.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Jess42 on May 16, 2014, 04:49:09 PM
Now now Jill. I definately didn't mean anything bad, but I love that expression, kind of like controlled insanity. So I can only imagine the show.

Sorry, I used to do some radio in college and joked about how I had a face for it.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Jill F on May 16, 2014, 05:09:37 PM
Sorry, I used to do some radio in college and joked about how I had a face for it.

Ah there isn't anything wrong with your face now and I bet back then either. But I gotta love the edge of insanity whether its facial expression, voices, actions and so on. I guess that's why I am a fan of Ozzy, Jim Morrison and now dalebert.
  •