Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What does this all mean?

Started by Wolfy, June 08, 2014, 12:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Hi everyone. I sent in court paper work 2 weeks ago for a name change. I got a letter in the mail today that has this

http://puu.sh/9jSBl/75d70e08a6.png (if i insert the image its too small)

I know track 1 is for a name change but im not sure what all this other stuff says. for the :Re thing it says Re: last name vs last name and my friend told me it should say INRE: (insert my legal name)

I sent in a waive form for my documents so I don't need to spend 200 dollars. so could anyone help me out with this? me and my mom don't know and we're going to call monday but im real curious now.

EDIT:
In the part for last name vs last name it's both my mom and my own last name.

Could it be because im a minor that it doesn't say INRE:
  •  

Felix

I don't know why I'm even answering because I'm kind of baffled, but I assume this has a lot to do with your being a minor. With any family law situation, multiple people might have a legal right to intervene. Still, the language seems intense.

I just read over part of this info packet from your state, and it's all pretty intense, but I still don't understand why "vs" would even be on your paperwork, or whether the RE/INRE thing is an important detail.
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10552_namechg_minor.pdf

Good luck though. As long as you have your custodial parent supporting you I can't imagine they would deny the request.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

DriftingCrow

Oh, I wouldn't worry about, especially if you're calling for clarification on Monday. It looks like a standard form they send out acknowledging the docket.

Some cases in family/probate courts do have "defendants" (though not always a "defendant" in the standard form of the word) which requires notice. Such as, since you're a minor, if your biological/legal father isn't on the paperwork, he's entitled to notice that you're changing your name. He'd either need to sign an assent form, or be served according to the laws of service in your state (usually either first class mail, using a process server, or hand-delivery by a disinterested party). Sometimes, even siblings need to be given notice.

Anyways, it does look like an "In Re" case, it's hard to tell since you blacked it out, but I am guessing it says your name under your black-out. If it wasn't In Re, it would say X vs. Y right on that form.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Wolfy

I was looking over some stuff and I feel like this might of been more of an 'acceptance' letter to state they got the paper work and given us our docket. Because I was reading the packet papers for the name change and what the process is and it said they should return all that paper work back to me with the court date, and the docket numbers all attached and the judges signature and all that. I'm not exactly sure but I'll be sure to update tomorrow when I speak to someone on the phone.
  •  

Wolfy

So me and my mom called the number they left for us and basically they said they accepted all of our paper work and are reviewing it. So now we need to wait for the second letter that will come in the mail. Which should have the court date as well as the directions for what paper to put it into and all that jazz. So I'm getting really excited! I'll keep this updated. I'm not sure if any other minor has had any concerns with name changes so I assume this can help out the minors on the forum. But all places are different.
  •