Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My SO (sorta) came out to friends/family last night (yeah, sorta)

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 02:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvie

Hi everyone. I just posted a brief intro, but wanted to say a bit more here. My spouse of 13 years is MtF, I've known about her gender dysphoria for most of that time (to be honest, I maybe suspected beforehand - we've known each other almost 20 years - but wouldn't have been able to put a name to it). We have one daughter (a kindergartner).

We've had some major ups and downs over the years, which is normal I'm sure, to recently things kind of came to a head. We've been in limbo for SO long. It is hard to keep this secret, and even though I'm only a SO, I've felt the stress of it myself. For the past few years, my SO has transformed so much. She presents as male in everyday life (work, out with friends, etc.) but at home, her body is really more and more feminine. I hate seeing my SO feel that she has to hide, I hate keeping secrets from friends and family, I hate not having the freedom to just BE who we are and fully enjoy ourselves, however that appears to others (I just don't care what people think anymore... God I love being in that place).

Anyhow, last night after a loooooong conversation, my SO basically came out on her Facebook account (you know, to just put it out there and not have to repeat things over and over and over). Almost 24 hours later... quiet as crickets on that post (save for 1 comment and 1 like), which is really unusual. So we're not sure if people read it (it was at a weird hour, though I "bumped" it during the day), if maybe they didn't take it seriously (could they have thought it was a joke?)... I don't know.

So I'm not sure how "out" things really are, but at least they're headed on a track to somewhere. I really feel we'll both be happier for it in the long run, but especially my SO, who has sort of reached a place where she can't transition any further and still pass as a male in public. I feel fairly confident that the family we are close to will be fine (they may not like it and it might be difficult for some of them, but I don't fear them giving us the silent treatment or being disowned or anything). The family that wouldn't be okay is already out of the picture anyhow. Friends are even less of an issue (our careers put us in GLBTQ-friendly circles), though we do live in the Bible belt, so there's that.

Okay, I think I'm starting to babble on and on. I'll end here. Really looking forward to getting to know people here, especially other SO's.
  •  

Crackpot

Welcome to the board. It is quite possible that people did think it was a joke. When my wife came out to some people over text she didn't realize they thought she was kidding at first. Luckily once they realized it wasn't they were still ok with it. For us it seemed to be once they really started SEEING things. Good luck to both of you and I hope things go smoothly once people start to process it all.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
  •  

Sylvie

Thanks for the advice, Crackpot! She feels like a weight has been lifted and said, even if people thought it was a joke, when they start seeing more changes at least there's something in the back of their mind that might go, "ohhh yeah, she mentioned that."
  •  

Sylvie

I just wanted to update... it's been almost a week, and holy cow, things have moved quickly!

Pretty much, nobody saw the Facebook post. So my SO sent messages to some closer friends, who've been amazing. She came out at WORK (!!) and that was fine, too. My family was confused at first, but is fine now. (SO's family isn't really in the picture). Then my mom sent the sweetest email to my SO, which included this:

"I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to grow feeling different inside than you do outside! We have always loved you for who you are and nothing will ever change that."

Wow, Mom!! You know, I expected my family to be just "okay" with things. To simply tolerate and otherwise keep silent about it/ignore. They are nice people, but I sooooo didn't expect the level of acceptance shown right there. [insert happy tears smiley here] ;)
  •  

Crackpot

Wow that is so fast but also so amazing. I'm so glad things have been going so well for you both! Sometimes family can surprise you in the best ways. I know a few of mine did. Congratulations to you and your SO!
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
  •