Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

losing weight on oestrogen

Started by ToniB, February 26, 2014, 09:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToniB

I desperately need to lose at least 7lbs in weight .The biggest trouble I have found was I used to be able to control my weight with exercise I am a keen cyclist and used to ride at least a hundred miles a week on any terrain .But now I have started taking Oestrogen I have lost so much muscle tone and strength that I can hardly manage a 5 mile ride and if there is a hill I am realy struggling I used to pride myself on the fact that I never used any but the 3 highest gears on my 20 speed bike .but recently i have had to drop down by a further 2 gears just around town .This has realy hurt my pride .just 6 months ago seeing another bike in the distance was a target to overtake ,now I am the one being overtaken and I hate it LOL .How can i exercise to lose weight with my lesser muscle streangth or is starvation the only way foreward .Any advice gratefully recieved
The girl inside is just as important expecially to Yourself :)
  •  

Hikari

Regardless of the oil running the machine, physics still apply.

Lack of testosterone is going to certainly effect your ability to build lots of muscle mass, and it will lower your metabolism. It will not however change the simple facts that if you burn more energy than you take in you will lose weight. Now this equation has probably changed a fair bit, and it likely is that you simply need far less calories than you once did, but the basics are still the same.

I honestly haven't noticed such a huge reduction in strength from HRT maybe, 20% or so, but I hadn't really noticed any decrease in stamina. Perhaps some people react differently but, I have increased my exercise a fair bit to prevent from getting too weak. What I mean by too weak is that I don't want to need a man around to do things for me, especially since I am not attracted to men. Maybe opening jars and moving computers isn't exactly competitive cycling but I have managed to remain able to do any real domestic task I needed to do.

I would note that at least for me strength training still works, although it takes more time and effort to get results now, although I am sure my T level isn't 0, since I am taking a fairly small dose of Spironolactone, along with estrogen and Dutasteride. It seemed to me that killing the DHT is more important than T in general. Then again most women don't have 0 T as well. 

I think your best bet would be to try and figure out your resting metabolic rate, get a gauge on how many calories your eating, and then figure up a plan that lets you operate at a calories deficit great enough to lose those 7lbs in the time frame you want.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Alangender

Quote from: anita.brown on February 26, 2014, 09:07:42 AM
I desperately need to lose at least 7lbs in weight .The biggest trouble I have found was I used to be able to control my weight with exercise I am a keen cyclist and used to ride at least a hundred miles a week on any terrain .But now I have started taking Oestrogen I have lost so much muscle tone and strength that I can hardly manage a 5 mile ride and if there is a hill I am realy struggling I used to pride myself on the fact that I never used any but the 3 highest gears on my 20 speed bike .but recently i have had to drop down by a further 2 gears just around town .This has realy hurt my pride .just 6 months ago seeing another bike in the distance was a target to overtake ,now I am the one being overtaken and I hate it LOL .How can i exercise to lose weight with my lesser muscle streangth or is starvation the only way foreward .Any advice gratefully recieved

aerobics
  •  

Rawb

Look at how girls do it. Swimming, yoga, pilates, dance. Jogging is a good one.
I wouldn't recommend starving yourself, because in the long run it will actually make you more fat because it kills your metabolism.
  •