Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Pagan Forbidden from Opening Temple; Not Christian

Started by dalebert, June 20, 2014, 06:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/06/19/pagan-forbidden-from-opening-temple-in-beebe-arkansas-because-his-god-isnt-the-christian-god/

QuoteDahl claimed he also reached out to his alderman regarding city policy, but when we spoke to the alderman, the only comment he wanted to make on the record was "that man's God isn't my God."

Jess42

Well, so much for the freedom of religion. What exactly does this Pagan high priest believe? True Paganism? If so I wonder how many "Christians" know how the Romans blended Pagan beliefs in to the teachings or perceptions of the teachings of Christ in order to hijack Christianity and gain followers and control over those followers through all the threats of eternal damnation. Hmmm. I wonder where the Christmas tree comes from? And why we celebrate Christmas so close to the Winter Solstice? And the spirit of giving gifts during that time when it is pretty much historically believed that Christ would have been born during the spring according to some key indications in the Bible.
  •  

DriftingCrow

I hope he gets to open a temple soon. I am always surprised yet not surprised by the lack of support from other religions, not surprised since there's a history of not getting along, but surprised since you never know who'll be targeted or discriminated against next.

I am also waiting for the Church of Satan to place their statute next to the 10 Commandments Statute in Oklahoma.

Quote from: Jess42 on June 20, 2014, 07:35:58 AM
If so I wonder how many "Christians" know how the Romans blended Pagan beliefs in to the teachings or perceptions of the teachings of Christ in order to hijack Christianity and gain followers and control over those followers through all the threats of eternal damnation. Hmmm. I wonder where the Christmas tree comes from? And why we celebrate Christmas so close to the Winter Solstice? And the spirit of giving gifts during that time when it is pretty much historically believed that Christ would have been born during the spring according to some key indications in the Bible.

I read this article awhile ago, and this quote here seems relevant: http://bellejar.ca/2013/03/28/easter-is-not-named-after-ishtar-and-other-truths-i-have-to-tell-you/
QuoteReligious people! Being hypocritical! And crazy! And wrong! The 2,000+ comments were chock-full of smug remarks about how naïve and stupid Christians were, accompanied by pats on the back for all the atheists who smart enough to see through all the religious bull>-bleeped-< and understand how the evil church had slyly appropriated all kinds of pagan traditions. [. . . ]  Know what else? Most Christians know this. Or, at least, most of the Christians that I'm friends with (which is, admittedly, a fairly small sampling). They know that Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th, and they know that there were never any actual snakes in Ireland, and they know that rabbits and eggs are fertility symbols. But they don't care, because they realize that religions evolve and change and that that's actually a good thing, not a bad thing. The fact that many Christian saints are just re-imagined pagan gods and goddesses doesn't alter their faith one iota; because faith isn't about reason or sense, it's about belief.

I agree most Christians (okay, except maybe some like ultra-fundamentalists who are incapable of any independent thoughts) know that Christianity (as practiced in Western countries at least) is mixed in with European Paganism
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Nimrata (aka LH) on June 20, 2014, 02:07:00 PM
I hope he gets to open a temple soon. I am always surprised yet not surprised by the lack of support from other religions, not surprised since there's a history of not getting along, but surprised since you never know who'll be targeted or discriminated against next.

I am also waiting for the Church of Satan to place their statute next to the 10 Commandments Statute in Oklahoma.

I read this article awhile ago, and this quote here seems relevant: http://bellejar.ca/2013/03/28/easter-is-not-named-after-ishtar-and-other-truths-i-have-to-tell-you/
I agree most Christians (okay, except maybe some like ultra-fundamentalists who are incapable of any independent thoughts) know that Christianity (as practiced in Western countries at least) is mixed in with European Paganism

I liked that article Nimrata, we all know what rabbits do. Sometime freedom is an uncomfortable thing especially when we talk about religion or speech. I have no problem with the Church of Satan's statue next to the Ten Commmandments. According to the Bible even our Creator gives and instills in us Freewill. It's just man's will that men want us to bow down to.
  •