Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Beliefs and shame

Started by Edge, June 20, 2014, 01:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

What you believe in and how much that matters is not up to anyone but you. You get to decide how your values align and you get to change them as your opinions evolve.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Edge on June 24, 2014, 08:08:09 PM
I'll readily admit I'm a huge fan of chaos. Every time my life gets topsy turvy, I always come out of it with more experiences and, therefore, more knowledge. I almost always come out of it stronger than before and closer to being who I feel I am meant to be which is a fantastic feeling. Even though things tend to be destroyed, the almost always needed to be. I thrive in chaos.

I also have a thing for the wild. It's like... civilization is more convenient to live in (and has internet), but the wild is what feels like home. And I sound sappy. Sorry.

You know Edge, the way I see it everyone is looking for the secret of life and its meaning. Most people it eludes them and they keep looking and it will always remain a mystery to them. We look to God or gods or some supenatural force but what you said in that first paragraph is truly what I tihink the answer of life is. To delve in it to gain experience and make a part of ourselves stronger. That feeling that you get is not there for nothing and there is a reason why you get that feeling.

I really don't think Christianity has influenced as much as has been influenced by other beliefs.

That last paragraph really stikes a chord in me. I love the wilderness. Somehow feeling like becoming part of the food chain really heightens the feeling of being alive. Me alone with a weapon powerful enough to protect myself is one thing. I can only imagine what ancient man with spears and rocks faced with a lot more predators roaming the wilds. Probably the whole reason for civilization and there being safety in numbers. Now the wilderness isn't as dangerous as the "civilized" world in a lot of cases.
  •  

Edge

Quote from: Jess42 on June 25, 2014, 07:39:38 AM
You know Edge, the way I see it everyone is looking for the secret of life and its meaning. Most people it eludes them and they keep looking and it will always remain a mystery to them. We look to God or gods or some supenatural force but what you said in that first paragraph is truly what I think the answer of life is. To delve in it to gain experience and make a part of ourselves stronger. That feeling that you get is not there for nothing and there is a reason why you get that feeling.
Oh I know. I know some people who pray to Thor for strength and, while that's all well and good for them, it doesn't sit well with me. I want my strength to come from me and not borrowed from someone else. If Thor ever were to meet me, I would rather impress him. If that makes sense. To me, those experiences and the way I handled them is reminiscent of Loki's way of manipulating situations to his (and sometimes others') advantage which is another reason why I like him.
I'm rambling. Sorry.

Quote from: Jess42 on June 25, 2014, 07:39:38 AMI really don't think Christianity has influenced as much as has been influenced by other beliefs.
I'd agree that Christianity has been influenced more, but it has had influence on other beliefs. As I mentioned before, far too many people are convinced that Loki and the jötnar are evil despite this not making sense according to mythology. Hades has also been demonized despite being probably the nicest of the Greek gods. Set makes more sense to demonize due to his conflict with Horus, but even he wasn't as evil in Egyptian mythology as people think. I've also talked to people who were convinced that Horus was some sort of Christ figure despite that making no sense.

Quote from: Jess42 on June 25, 2014, 07:39:38 AMThat last paragraph really stikes a chord in me. I love the wilderness. Somehow feeling like becoming part of the food chain really heightens the feeling of being alive. Me alone with a weapon powerful enough to protect myself is one thing. I can only imagine what ancient man with spears and rocks faced with a lot more predators roaming the wilds. Probably the whole reason for civilization and there being safety in numbers. Now the wilderness isn't as dangerous as the "civilized" world in a lot of cases.
You may have a point due to the effects we're having on the environment and other animals. Hurricane's, earthquakes, etc may kill a lot of people, but we may be causing mass extinction. Funnily enough, it's thought that the ancient man with spears and rocks are responsible for the extinction of megafauna.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Edge on June 25, 2014, 10:17:50 AM
You may have a point due to the effects we're having on the environment and other animals. Hurricane's, earthquakes, etc may kill a lot of people, but we may be causing mass extinction. Funnily enough, it's thought that the ancient man with spears and rocks are responsible for the extinction of megafauna.

There will always be earthquakes, hurricanes and other natural disasters. Earthquakes may be changing the areas and frequency just due to the earth's axis changing and the gravitational pull of the moon on the crust. Or it may very well be fracking in areas especially in Oklahoma. Personally I tend to think that some of these areas go for a long time with no activity until it builds to a point and the pressure builds and then it lets loose. The New Madrid Fault line is one that is overdue and that is a bad boy right there. Also we are overdue or coming upon that cycle for the supervolcanoe in Yellowstone. Not to mention Mt Ranier, Mt Hood, Mt Shasta. All of them are coming close to the timeframes of their cycles. Personally that big one in Chile surprized me it didn't set off a chain reaction but it may have something to do with that being in the southern hemisphere. But a chain reaction is sort of what worries me because I think if Yellowstone goes again with the same amount of energy it went last time it will set off all the others and will cause a mass extinction.

When it comes to the envorionment though. I believe that nature can take care of itself a lot better than we can. SE La and the levy systems and now they are complaining about losing marsh. It's not the hurricanes that is destroying the marsh it is the lack of floodwaters overflowing and creating new marsh and then land. Without the levy system the Mississippi River would make more new land per year than what all the senators and politicians could ever possibly think. Yes, there would be floods though so people would have to build accordingly. Forest fires out west. Seeds lay dormant for years until a fire comes along and kicks them off. Gets rid of the old growth and makes room for the new. Same way with CO2 and global warming. Plants thrive off of Carbon Dioxide like we do Oxygen. I read in a science magazine a while back that a lot of CO2 leads to a warmer climate by trapping the heat and keeping it closer to the surface and leads to a wider range of plants from algea to trees. Through photosynthesis these plants put out a lot more oxygen and a tipping scale is reached and oxygen suffocates plants and when there is too much oxygen plants die and the climate gets cooler or colder because Oxygen don't trap the heat and when the plants decompose it will build up more of the greenhouse gasses like methane and CO2 then the climate gets warmer and plants come back and begin to grow and puts out more oxygen. So nature takes very good care of itself even though it may seem Chaotic. The question is though when is humanity or mankind gonna reach the tipping scale and nature needs to cycle us? A lot of things that are just natural and not just natural disasters. If the Ebola virus ever got out and really took off, in less than a year the planet would probably be devoid of human life. Thing is no one knows where this virus actually originated. I read a book that a cave that was warmer than it should be with an unusually high amount of bat guano could be one source. Or why it will wipe out or used to wipe out whole villages and then dissapear. It is definately not a pretty thing. Pretty much people's insides turn to mush and they beled out from every orafice. If I'm not mistaken and can remember right from the time the virus is contracted to the bleed out is roughly 3 days to a week with a kill rate that is extremely high. But if not Ebola, then it may be even a more deadly virus that may make the Black Plague look like a walk in the park.

OK, enough of the doom and the gloom. Funny Edge, you talk about rambling but look what I just wrote.
Sorry.
  •  

Edge

I didn't mean to imply that nature doesn't cause mass extinction. It can and has before hence all the periods and eras before humans. Just that the next mass extinction is happening because of humans and the last extinction happened because of humans as well. Neither did I say anything about natural disasters being the only natural things. I was merely using them as examples of natural occurrences that humans consider dangerous. I also do not mean to imply that they're the only examples of natural stuff that humans consider dangerous. I just don't see the need to list all of them.
Nature is eternal. It doesn't need to take care of itself because it just is.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Edge on June 25, 2014, 04:42:04 PM
I didn't mean to imply that nature doesn't cause mass extinction. It can and has before hence all the periods and eras before humans. Just that the next mass extinction is happening because of humans and the last extinction happened because of humans as well. Neither did I say anything about natural disasters being the only natural things. I was merely using them as examples of natural occurrences that humans consider dangerous. I also do not mean to imply that they're the only examples of natural stuff that humans consider dangerous. I just don't see the need to list all of them.
Nature is eternal. It doesn't need to take care of itself because it just is.

I know Edge. I was pointing out that no matter how technologically advanced we are, we as a species are at the mercy of nature. Until we have enough technology to actually leave this planet in a type of mass exodus, whatever happens we have really no control over it. And definately there is no doubt that humans are helping it along.
  •