Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamboe89

I've been trying to read more recently. I have just read Unmastered by Katherine Angel, which I liked, a poignant part of which she describes a time in her life when she was pretty torn up about having had an abortion - and am well into Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson now, which I'm enjoying too, I've never read it before! I also came across my Don Juan book by Lord Byron, completely dog-eared up to just before the last canto, so I thought I might as well finish reading it all now (perhaps after Treasure Island). We're talking about at least 3 years I last read Don Juan! A great poem, definitely a pioneer of rhyme, which on the one hand seems quite rigid, yet on the other gives it excellent structure. I'm sure I read somewhere that Shelley said he thought it was one of the best poems he'd ever read, or at least the first cantos, since he died before Byron wrote the further cantos to it.

Threads like these are great because it brings together everybody's different tastes, and so is a great place for inspiration for what to read next.
  •  

GenTechJ

I just finished the last Heroes of Olympus book, Blood of Olympus. It was goooood, like, wow. Going back to Allegiant (Divergent series) now and then the follow-up/spin-off/in-between book Four (from what I can tell based on the cover it's Four's time in Dauntless before Tris, then the other parts take place in parallel to the rest of the series but through Four's eyes).
"Keep your head down, and inch towards daylight" - Blade of Tyshalle, Matthew Woodring Stover
  •  

Natalie

I seem to be reading about 4-5 books at any given time. Now I am moving onto finish this book:

Dubber, M.D. (2002). Victims in the war on crime. The use and abuse of victims' rights. New York, NY: New York University Press.
  •  

Ellie_L

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
This book ties in to the movie Argo - it was what they were making the movie of, and they had Jack Kirby doing the concept art for it.
  •  

Jessika

My Fantasy is having Two Men at once...

One Cooking, One Cleaning.  ;D 

•  

Eldon

Yesterday I started The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf.
  •  

akegia

I am a huge Star Wars fan, so I am re-reading Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan. Great book, based on great games :)
  •  

Catherine Sarah

............ this post; silly !!!  What else could I ??

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Tysilio

I just finished reading Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth, by Gitta Sereny. Oof -- it took me forever, but it was worth it. It's one of the best biographies I've ever read.

I needed something light after that, so now I'm re-reading one of the Hornblower books (C.S. Forester). Nice, uncomplicated fun with the British Navy.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

Amato

Jeez I've picked up and started at least 5 different books so far. The most recent one I've picked up is "The Sicilian" by Mario Puzo.
I'm into the second chapter now and so far it's pretty good.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

I'm with GenTechJ... I'm also a fan of the "Divergent" series by Veronica Roth.  I read the trilogy ("Divergent", "Insurgent", and "Allegiant") in October and very much enjoyed them all.  I have not seen the movie though.

Yesterday I finished "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Foer.  I saw the movie some time ago, and I absolutely loved the movie... not so much the book.  Even though the book did fill in a few holes in the story that the movie failed to illuminate, I just found the narration, which jumped from charactor to charactor and back and forth through time, a bit too cumbersome.  Still, I don't regret reading it.

I'm presently reading 3 books (as I do).  I'm re-reading "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller; this is one of my all time favorites!  I'm also reading "Villa Incognito" by Tom Robbins; it's a little slow going and not as funny as I'd hoped, but I'm enjoying it.  And I'm reading "Matched" by Ally Condie, another girl-against-the-world trilogy (like "Divergent" and "Hunger Games") that I'm throughly enjoying it so far.

Hugs,
Miharu
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

Miharu Barbie

As it turns out, I did finish "Villa Incognito" today.  I wouldn't say it was an awful book; I did enjoy the story.  But I feel that the book lacked substance, even for a silly humor book.  This is not my favorite Tom Robbins story.

I think I'd better get back to "Catch 22" to ensure that my funny bone has not sustained any permanent damage.

Hugs,
Miharu
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

Catherine Sarah

This thread; I believe.

( Can someone please pass me my meds? )

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Catherine Sarah

...............  although, immediately prior to that previous outrageous outburst of insanity; I believe it is "The Alchemist" by Paul Coelho.

Certainly worth a re-read every year. Helps keep me on track. (at least when I don't forget my meds)

Happy reading for 2015

Huggs
Catherine

•  

Skyler

im reading Queering Anarchism my history teacher gave it to be as a graduation and coming out gift :)
  •  

ClaraJo

I got Robinson Crusoe for Christmas  :D and I'm reading I Am Legend and The Haunting of Hill House.  8)
  •  

islandgirl

I am just about to finish 'The Lacuna', by Barbara Kingsolver. I have found it a very good read. It is the second of her books that I have read, the first being Animal Dreams. I will be taking a look at 'Bean Trees'.

I have also just finished 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton. I am looking forward to 'THe Distant Hours' whenever I can get my hands on it.

The next book on my reading list is 'Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Verghese. It is supposed to be fairly gritty but it comes very highly recommended.

Happy reading everyone!
  •  

urchin

In just a few days, when it comes in, I will be reading Battle Royale! Much gore. Very excite.
  •  

Elsa Delyth

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Emma Goldman.
  •  

adrian

•