Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadieBlake

I just finished Desert of the Heart by Jane Rule and am starting Ann Bannon's "I am a Woman", the second in her series of lesbian pulp fiction.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Kylo

The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness - Erich Fromm
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

GCHR88

I am currently reading Modern Loss  edited by Rebecca Soffer and Gabrielle Birkner.
  •  

islandgirl

I am reading Yellow Vengeance by Liz Bugg. A fun mystery.
  •  

Liam_Robin

I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear. It's the second book in The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.
  •  

Cindy

Spirals in Time: The Secret Life and Curious Afterlife of Seashells by Helen Scales

It describes the evolution of Mollusca, how they evolved shells and how humans have used them. Surprisingly easy to read and very well written.
  •  

amrisa loftus

Mistborn: The Bands of Morning book 6 by Brandon Sanderson. I very much recommend this bock series. I like to call it an offshoot fantasy series. follow the link to the wiki page to find out more info. I don't want spoil anything. Its such a fun read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn
  •  

SamuelR77

Im reading "no one wants you" be Celine Roberts
  •  

SadieBlake

New and classic #queer writing.

She of the Mountains by Vivek Shraya

I'm currently reading

The Charioteer by Mary Renault

Next will be

Spring Fire by Vin Packet

Then I'll get back to Ann Bannon's Beebo Brinker series which I absolutely adore and set aside to work through the current titles.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

islandgirl

I presently reading a series of books by Ellen Hart. Her 'Jane Lawless' series. Easy reads. Fun!
  •  

epvanbeveren

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on March 19, 2018, 03:31:00 AM
Bought the book just now, mentioned by epvaneveren. much needed book on the actual physiology and anatomy of organsms. :)

Dr. Christine McGinn contributed to this book in chapter "Atypical Orgasms". <3
I am a K. MacPhee girl, re-born on October 4 2017 in Raleigh/Durham NC. USA
I was AMAB on May 6 1963 in Dordrecht, the Netherlands.

OUT and proud - 2014
HRT - 2015
Legal - 2016
GRS - 2017

Full Time - 01/01/2015:
first day (01) of new life (01), '15 = opposite of 51 (my age at the time)

•  

Kylo

Jack Shaeffer's The Canyon.

Something I read in my childhood and still enjoy today.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

CHILDREN OF TIME by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I do like science fiction but normally prefer many types of non fiction especially history.

This fiction piece blew me away. It is a spectacular study in human nature, tribe against tribe & the war of the sexes. The zenith of human achievement results in a return to base tribal instinct. In fact humans end up interacting with and going to war with another intelligent life form of highly evolved arhtropods mutated by the nanovirus. Brilliant read.!
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

epvanbeveren

Not so much transgender related, but I though it might be interested to read and know a couple of things.

Estrogen matters, a 300 pages book about hormone related stuff, for cis woman, but as a post-op trans woman I thought part of this might be true for me as well. And possibly for pre-op trans woman as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Estrogen-Matters-Hormones-Menopause-Well-Being/dp/0316481203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537805464&sr=8-1&keywords=estrogen+matters
I am a K. MacPhee girl, re-born on October 4 2017 in Raleigh/Durham NC. USA
I was AMAB on May 6 1963 in Dordrecht, the Netherlands.

OUT and proud - 2014
HRT - 2015
Legal - 2016
GRS - 2017

Full Time - 01/01/2015:
first day (01) of new life (01), '15 = opposite of 51 (my age at the time)

•  

LizK

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on September 23, 2018, 08:41:40 PM
CHILDREN OF TIME by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I do like science fiction but normally prefer many types of non fiction especially history.

This fiction piece blew me away. It is a spectacular study in human nature, tribe against tribe & the war of the sexes. The zenith of human achievement results in a return to base tribal instinct. In fact humans end up interacting with and going to war with another intelligent life form of highly evolved arhtropods mutated by the nanovirus. Brilliant read.!

I cannot agree more this has to be one of the best books I have read(listened to) in a long long time, probably since I stumbled across the Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill. another stunningly brilliant book that will catch you quite off gaurd.

I was wary because I am certainly not a science fiction type reader but as Audible were having a sale I paid for this book. This was nearly 16 hours long and I expected to take at least a week or two to listen to during my morning walks, but like any great book once you pick it up you are helpless to do anything but finish it as fast as you can read ....as I was with this book. Being an Audible book there was nowhere it couldn't go and so I listened to the entire book in a little over two days.

It had my interest by the end of the first "page" and from then on I was lost to it. I will go back and listen to it again because i am sure I missed some of the subtleties....I came here today to write a review on this book and I find someone else who loved it as well...brilliant  ;D

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: LizK on September 24, 2018, 08:40:00 PM
I cannot agree more this has to be one of the best books I have read(listened to) in a long long time, probably since I stumbled across the Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill. another stunningly brilliant book that will catch you quite off gaurd.

I was wary because I am certainly not a science fiction type reader but as Audible were having a sale I paid for this book. This was nearly 16 hours long and I expected to take at least a week or two to listen to during my morning walks, but like any great book once you pick it up you are helpless to do anything but finish it as fast as you can read ....as I was with this book. Being an Audible book there was nowhere it couldn't go and so I listened to the entire book in a little over two days.

It had my interest by the end of the first "page" and from then on I was lost to it. I will go back and listen to it again because i am sure I missed some of the subtleties....I came here today to write a review on this book and I find someone else who loved it as well...brilliant  ;D

Liz
Right that's it! I'm getting SEA OF RUST

Kirsten[emoji126]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on September 25, 2018, 03:04:42 AM
Right that's it! I'm getting SEA OF RUST

Kirsten[emoji126]

Love to hear your thoughts on this book... :D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Nuno Cardoso

Currently i have to do an assignment for my portuguese class in which i have to present a book that we have read for the first term of school. Me, being the philosofer i am ;D decided to read Animal Farm. I must say that its one of the best books i have ever read. Its written in a traditional fable still but unlike other fables, it contains humans (who are depicted to be worse than animals). Its a clear rant on the communist regime by a man who experienced it first hand in which he gave his opinion about what a communist state turns into if badly managed (restriction of knowledge, lying to the public and ultimately have the communist leaders turn into the rulers that they deposed and be even more terrifying). George Orwells, the autor, as written other books regarding the subject but i think this one is the best because it uses fantasy to separate the book world from our own(animals dont talk...i think) but at the same time making us wonder if what happened in the book could happen in real life. All in all its a great book and its not too time consuming or hard to read(it was nade for the common person to understand).

I hope you guys give it a try  ;)
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Nuno Cardoso on November 17, 2018, 03:18:54 AM
Currently i have to do an assignment for my portuguese class in which i have to present a book that we have read for the first term of school. Me, being the philosofer i am ;D decided to read Animal Farm. I must say that its one of the best books i have ever read. Its written in a traditional fable still but unlike other fables, it contains humans (who are depicted to be worse than animals). Its a clear rant on the communist regime by a man who experienced it first hand in which he gave his opinion about what a communist state turns into if badly managed (restriction of knowledge, lying to the public and ultimately have the communist leaders turn into the rulers that they deposed and be even more terrifying). George Orwells, the autor, as written other books regarding the subject but i think this one is the best because it uses fantasy to separate the book world from our own(animals dont talk...i think) but at the same time making us wonder if what happened in the book could happen in real life. All in all its a great book and its not too time consuming or hard to read(it was nade for the common person to understand).

I hope you guys give it a try  ;)
Its been a couple of decades or so since I've read it. The sort of book that leaves a lasting impression. The messages resonate for a long time afterwards.
Have you read 1984 and seen the movie with John Hurt?
What are you reading is a great idea for a topic by the way.

Kind regards, Kirsten.

•  

Nuno Cardoso

Yes, ive read it first actually. It was on my desk next to my fantasy novels and i thought"why is this thing here?". Next thing i knewbi was spending my first week of summer holidays reading it  :P But as i was only 12 at the time i didnt quite understand it, but when i turned 16 i reread it and was surprised to see the things i missed as a child.
But its not as good of a book as "The Little Prince". That one i recommend for its versatility. What do i mean? Its a book that changes its meaning acording to your age, emmotional state and life experiences. If you read it as a child it seems like a common childrens book, as a teenager i read it as a tale of being lost in a world where nobody understanda you and you dont undertand it back and when i feel in love it seemed like a romance of 2 lovers who couldnt be together (like Romeo and Juliette).
  •