Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukeDAP

Unfortunately, I started a zombie series a couple weeks ago. I say unfortunately because I thought I'd love these books... and now I despise them, but I HAVE to finish the series.

So, if you like zombies, but would like to avoid countless women being sexually abused over and over again, stay away from T.W. Brown's "Dead" series. Seriously.
  •  

Mariah

Last Spring I started a reading a book series and even got into the second book and I thought it might improve, but it didn't I just never finished it. I have never felt the need to finish something I didn't care for. I just drop it and move on to another. This was the first time in a long time that I had started a series like that and just didn't care for it.
Mariah
Quote from: LukeDAP on February 16, 2015, 12:00:33 AM
Unfortunately, I started a zombie series a couple weeks ago. I say unfortunately because I thought I'd love these books... and now I despise them, but I HAVE to finish the series.

So, if you like zombies, but would like to avoid countless women being sexually abused over and over again, stay away from T.W. Brown's "Dead" series. Seriously.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

LukeDAP

Quote from: Mariah2014 on February 16, 2015, 12:05:26 AM
Last Spring I started a reading a book series and even got into the second book and I thought it might improve, but it didn't I just never finished it. I have never felt the need to finish something I didn't care for. I just drop it and move on to another. This was the first time in a long time that I had started a series like that and just didn't care for it.
Mariah

Hey, Mariah! I have no idea if this some sort of OCD or if I'm just too stubborn (and slightly masochist), but I cannot stop in the middle of a book series. I've forced myself to stop after the first book in a couple cases, but it's just TOO hard.

Maybe I ought to make this my NY resolution: drop books/series that suck.

Will let you know how that one goes! :eusa_think: :icon_razz:
  •  

Mariah

Who knows maybe the book series will eventually grow on You. Here is to hoping anyway.
Mariah
Quote from: LukeDAP on February 16, 2015, 12:42:33 AM
Hey, Mariah! I have no idea if this some sort of OCD or if I'm just too stubborn (and slightly masochist), but I cannot stop in the middle of a book series. I've forced myself to stop after the first book in a couple cases, but it's just TOO hard.

Maybe I ought to make this my NY resolution: drop books/series that suck.

Will let you know how that one goes! :eusa_think: :icon_razz:
  •  

Ferretty

I'm reading the testing trilogy, a bit cheesy, but still likable...

Also I'm a sucker for dystopian
A merry christmas to all

What's that? Oh but it's too early for christmas you say? BLASPHEMY
It's never too early.

~Skye
  •  

Mariah

Same here and I agree, but so am I. I just need to finish the last book now.
Mariah
Quote from: Ferretty on February 16, 2015, 06:49:13 AM
I'm reading the testing trilogy, a bit cheesy, but still likable...

•  

LukeDAP

Quote from: Mariah2014 on February 16, 2015, 06:37:52 AM
Who knows maybe the book series will eventually grow on You. Here is to hoping anyway.
Mariah

Thanks! :icon_biggrin: I'm not holding my breath, but one can always hope!

Quote from: Ferretty on February 16, 2015, 06:49:13 AM

Same here, dystopian stories are fascinating to me! :icon_joy:
  •  

Miharu Barbie

"The Devil Wears Prada" was a pretty good book; I enjoyed it much better than the movie... and I liked the movie.

I started reading Steve Martin's "An Object of Beauty".  I'm enjoying it, but I find that his writing style is a bit obtuse.  He seems to have a habit of vaguely alluding to plot twists that he never resolves, as if these are references to an inside joke that I just don't get.  But overall it's a pretty enjoyable read.

I still have about 400 pages to go in William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".  I'm still really enjoying it, but 1300 pages of Adolf Hitler is a bit much for anyone to take in all at once.

I'm having a really difficult time getting through Laurie Notaro's "There's a Slight Chance I Might Be Going to Hell".  I think she tries way to hard to be funny, and she just isn't... at least, not to me.

As soon as I finish "An Object of Beauty", I think I'm going to start in on Mario Puzo's "The Godfather".  I saw the movie eons ago, but I've never read the book.  I think it's high time.

I sort of lost steam with Ally Condie's book "Crossed", which is book 2 of the "Matched" trilogy.  I'm nearly done with it, but it just doesn't have the spark of "Hunger Games" or "Alligiant".  But I'm determined to finish the trilogy... it just might be a little slow going.
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

Muffinheart

Currently reading Gone Girl which is ok.

As soon as I'm done reading this, will begin "A Man of Honor" by Joespeh Bonnano. This autobiography is by the founder of one of the 5 NY mafia families.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

Quote from: Muffinheart on February 19, 2015, 10:31:06 AM
As soon as I'm done reading this, will begin "A Man of Honor" by Joespeh Bonnano. This autobiography is by the founder of one of the 5 NY mafia families.

I look forward to hearing your impressions of this book.  I may have to put it on my list.  I'll finish "The Godfather" today.  It's a surprisingly good book.  Mario Puzo sure can tell a good story; I blazed through this book... simply couldn't put it down.

I  hope you'll let us know what you think of "A Man of Honor".

Steve Martin's "An Object of Beauty" was better than I expected in the end.  But it was still a pretty flat story.

I think I'll start "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella today.
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

PaperShips

"The Testosterone Files" By Max Wolf Valerio
"Are we human or are we dancers?" :-\

T Day:Thursday, March 27, 2014

•  

DriftingCrow

King Phillip's War: Civil War in New England 1675-1676 by James D. Drake
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Muffinheart

Quote from: Miharu Barbie on February 19, 2015, 11:34:00 AM
I look forward to hearing your impressions of this book.  I may have to put it on my list.  I'll finish "The Godfather" today.  It's a surprisingly good book.  Mario Puzo sure can tell a good story; I blazed through this book... simply couldn't put it down.

I  hope you'll let us know what you think of "A Man of Honor".

Steve Martin's "An Object of Beauty" was better than I expected in the end.  But it was still a pretty flat story.

I think I'll start "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella today.

Will do. Probably TMI, but I have an infatuation with the Mafia.
  •  

islandgirl

I have just finished 'Breakfast with Buddha', by Roland Merullo. Fun book that is thought provoking. I am now starting 'Green Grass, Running Water' by Thomas King.
  •  

Cheska

I've just begun reading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey.
  •  

AbbyKat

"The 7 Secrets of Awakening the Highly Effective Four-Hour Giant, Today"

It's a self-help book written by the characters in Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Then I'll go back to my normal stuff.
  •  

Muffinheart

Quote from: Abysha on February 20, 2015, 09:14:16 PM
"The 7 Secrets of Awakening the Highly Effective Four-Hour Giant, Today"

It's a self-help book written by the characters in Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Then I'll go back to my normal stuff.

Is the book a self help book in the general sense, or is it funny?
I ask, because It's Always Sunny is by far my favourite TV show.
I love Dee lol
  •  

AbbyKat

Quote from: Muffinheart on February 21, 2015, 05:37:14 AM
Is the book a self help book in the general sense, or is it funny?
I ask, because It's Always Sunny is by far my favourite TV show.
I love Dee lol

Well... if you want to be a narcissistic megalomaniac, I suppose it's a self-help book.   ;D

It's pretty much what you can expect from the Always Sunny crew.  It's done pretty well and you'll get a few chuckles.  Mainly, the humor is lost unless you can really inject their voices into your brain as you read it.  If you are a fan, you'll probably dig it.  Definitely not regretting the purchase as it's worth it just for Charlie's chapters alone.
  •  

Alissa16

XY factor by Karin Bishop..you'v gotta read her series "on the rad again"..!!
  •  

Alissa16

Just have to add this new one.. I seen a number of you enjoy the hobbit series and similar types..The best, after Tolken is
George R R Martin and his fire and ice..Game of Thrones.The HBO series is great but, you know the books are far better.
Just picked up from the library ..The world of fire and ice..The untold history of westeros and the game of throne..
This should be some enjoyable reading......
  •