Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

No animated GIF or moving/blinking avatars or sigs please

Started by Nero, June 21, 2014, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan Joanne

Quote from: Evelyn K on June 21, 2014, 10:04:24 PM
Got the message. FrancisAnn did seem upset about it thrice. Well she is dysphoria spittle flecked tirade inducing afterall to boot :D

* Evelyn K hit's the pause button

Hopefully better?

Ah, now I know why she's not putting on that lipstick anymore. This one always mesmerized me. :(
  •  

dalebert

I see this as basic netiquette. People ought to know not to do it. I love animated GIFs in a thread where they're appropriate but they get really obnoxious and distracting when they're in EVERY message by a person who posts regularly. I think this is a good call.

peky

•  

Blue Senpai

I get the whole no animated signature thing but no animated AVATARS either? Sigh.
  •  

crp512

I think this is a great policy.  It is very distracting to have moving pictures all over a forum
  •  

Marly

I'm no expert on accessibility, but asking someone to "just skip" a post a downright wrong. Every user should have access to the information and support that any post can provide.  And my thinking goes to what Ativan posted. Any kind of flashing animation can trigger seizures in some people.

Quote from: ativan on June 24, 2014, 07:24:37 PM
I get slight seizures from them.
I've asked people in the past to please stop them. Everyone understood when I explained why.
I can't go near strobe lights, even driving at sunset/sunrise by a long row of trees that the shadows strobe through the windows has almost caused me to crash a couple times. I've had to pull over and wait. Or drive very slowly on the shoulder.
When I see then on websites, I skip them. The info just isn't worth it.
HuffPo was doing this for awhile, but I think they have backed off for that very reason.
It's extremely uncomfortable and can put some people into a grand-mal seizure.
http://www.epilepsymatters.com/english/faqphotosensitive.html
If you've ever had this happen or seen it, you'd know.
I've learned to control them somewhat, but there is only so much you can do.
Ativan
  •  

CarlyMcx

I have to agree with FA on this one.  I have Asperger syndrome, and I find moving or blinking things going off in the corner of my vision to be seriously disturbing to my concentration.  It has gotten so bad that I keep a post-it note near the computer, and if I see something I really want to read, and there is a distracting animation on another part of the screen that I cannot scroll away from, I put the post-it over the animation to block it off.
  •  

Sarah Louise

Animation can be (and is) distracting, but it also uses extra bandwidth.  For someone like me bandwidth can be important I only get 10 G of data a month and currently use about 9G of it, anything extra cost extra money.  If I Want to watch a video, that is my decision, but to be forced to see animation that is totally unnecessary is frustrating.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •