Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Speech Therapy Consultation

Started by EchelonHunt, August 06, 2014, 08:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EchelonHunt

It's tomorrow - I'm so excited but nervous at the same time. This speech therapist is the only one in my city who I've found that has listed on her website saying she can help those with voices that are too low, too high or not gender-appropriate. My private health insurance will be able to cover some of the costs too!

Hopefully this is the first of many steps with speech therapy. :eusa_dance:
  •  

EchelonHunt

Thank you, crowcrow223!

Update - I went to see her today and I was blown away by how professional and kind she was. We talked and she gathered a background history of myself in terms of health, my disability (being deaf) and my transition.

My voice is very monotone, gravelly and masculine. She tested my voice at its normal range and the results were 90-95Hz. She did some more tests, including trying to get my resonance to come out of the front of my mouth rather than deep in my throat without straining, the comfortable result was 160Hz which was in the middle of the gender ambiguous range. My end goal is to get a clear, expressive androgynous voice so this start is VERY encouraging! I was surprised by the quality and the pitch I heard, I think I could have cried!

She has four other transgender patients and I'm the first one she's had that wants to go to the androgynous range. She said it's not bad, it's just that she's excited to be able to help me reach my goal. If for some reason, after a few sessions, I'm not satisfied with the results or cannot improve my voice, she works closely with ENT therapists at a clinic and they can check my vocal cords to see if there are any underlying conditions. She would like to hear what my voice sounded like pre-HRT and luckily enough, my pre-HRT transition videos are still on Youtube.

She also suggested to find some androgynous voices that I would envision myself having - there's only one I've found that I like though. Ciel Phantomhive from the anime, Kuro>-bleeped-<suji/Black Butler. The Japanese voice actress is female but she speaks in (what I perceive to be) a very androgynous voice. So I have put my Pre-HRT voice samples together with the Ciel Phantomhive voice clips and all ready to go... even though I don't see her until next fortnight, due to financial restraints!

I'm excited, the first step has been taken - many more steps to come! I have to drink tons of water and practice recording myself using my resonance more... so exciting!
  •