Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Has the T-word been used against you? (trigger warning)

Started by mandonlym, May 27, 2014, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandonlym

•  

AnnaCannibal

So I read through the entire thread, then I read your article.  The fact that gender does not equal sexuality is really hitting home.  So you have 3 letters, LGB, all sexuality related, then T, gender related.  Gay is gay, lesbian is lesbian, bi is bi, but transgender can mean so many different things to different people. 

I think the first step is to make it clear that not all m2f were gay men before, or all f2m were lesbians, etc.  It should be firmly planted that the T in LGBT should not actually be lumped together in the category of sexuality.  In my own opinion, I don't think the T should be there at all. 

How can we come to gaining all the privileges and rights any opressed group fights for when within our own group there are so may differences on individual basis?  Gays can because it is their sexuality and romantic interest in the same sex.  A very clear and concise thing to understand.  Transgender to me, however, may be different than transgender to you.  In rudimentary form, it is of course, transitioning gender, but isn't so much more than just that?  I may be fine with stopping with just HRT, while you may need to have SRS to feel fine.

Try explaining that to people who aren't trans.  It is simply overwhelming and confusing.  I mean, IM trans, and yet still I get confused from time to time on folks' personal decisions in their own transitions.  I guess I view that T in LGBT as a bit of an anomaly.  it's a very personal experience and literal journey and a hard concept to describe to someone. 

Either way, its a rough road ahead.
Is it progression if a cannibal uses a fork?
  •  

Tori

Superbly written!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

•  

stephaniec

only half way through your article. didn't quite understand how bad it was thanks for the info.
  •  

mandonlym

Thanks everyone! In terms of LGBT I don't think most people constitute the T being there as the T's being formerly lesbians or gay men. It's more that gender and sexuality have an intermingled relationship with each other. Though I agree personally that T needs to develop its own advocacy according to our own priorities, not necessarily against but adjacent to LGB.
  •  

Tori

The way I see it, the vast majority of trans folk are considered homosexual or bisexual at least before or after transition.

•  

Ltl89

I read your article during my lunch break today and wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed it.  However, while I do think the lgb community needs to get more supportive of the T subgroup, I think things are improving.  A lot of the progress the gay rights movement has made has also led to a lot more acceptance of us.  And I even though the hrc does focus heavily on gay rights, they do care about trans rights to.  For example, they were providing money in NY to fund canvassing/lobbying groups to help get genda passed.  Sure more could be done and it should be, but I think the lgbt community has provided us much more benefits than costs.  Still, I get your point.  It's time the lgbt community realize that we are an equal partner in the movement and not the irrelevant aspect that some see us as.  I'm just not in favor of breaking off from the larger group as it helps us all to be in this together.  It's just time they rallied for us as well as you pointed.
  •