Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Pope Francis Demotes Highest Ranking US Cardinal over LGBT issues

Started by Jera, January 12, 2015, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jera

It's Finally Official - Pope Francis Demotes Highest-Ranking US Cardinal Over LGBT Issues

By Lesliue Salzillo, Daily KOS
Nov. 10 2014

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/10/1343748/-It-s-Official-Pope-Francis-Demotes-Higest-Ranking-US-Cardinal-Over-LBGT-Issues?detail=email

It's been in the news. Now it has been confirmed. As of this past weekend, Raymond Leo Burke, America's highest-ranking cardinal at the Vatican, was officially removed from the Vatican's Supreme Court, and demoted to chaplain of the Knights of Malta, where he will reign with much less responsibility. The ultra-Conservative and anti-gay cardinal, continuously challenges the jurisdiction of Pope Francis, and the Catholic Church's new receptive stance on homosexuality.

Post modified by hews staff to meet posting requirements
  •  

suzifrommd

Actually, for the first time, I'm impressed. Up until now it's been cryptic words. But this is real action. Thanks, Francis.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Myarkstir

Quote from: Jera on January 12, 2015, 06:52:17 PM
I'd be super proud of this guy, if I was Catholic. At the very least, I'm surprised, and I can't wait to see more.

Post modified by news staff to meet posting requirements
Sylvia M.
Senior news staff

•  

Ms Grace

Wow. Interesting development! Wonder how Australian arch conservative Cardinal George Pell (now kicking around the Vatican) and our very own conservative Catholic Prime Minister Tony (uncomfortable with gays) Abbott feel about these developments!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

LoriLorenz

•  

ImagineKate

I am not at all surprised.

In discussions with my priest, I was told that there is really not any church doctrine on transgender.

I have also noticed how Pope Francis wants to welcome people into the church, not condemn them. That is a good thing. We have support ministries for divorcees and women who have had abortions, for example.

However, I don't know if there will be openly gay vatican sanctioned priests or same sex weddings in church anytime soon. I was also warned that as soon as I change my gender, our marriage will be invalid in the eyes of the church. I'm not sure exactly what "change my gender" means, I mean I am already female, and I can get the official designation changed legally without surgery. Does he mean change the marriage record?
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 13, 2015, 10:48:42 AM
I'm not sure exactly what "change my gender" means, I mean I am already female, and I can get the official designation changed legally without surgery. Does he mean change the marriage record?

That's a misconception a lot of cisgender people have - that at some point our gender "switches over". Another thing we need to educate them about.

IMO, if your marriage is invalid in the eyes of the church, the church needs to have its eyes checked!
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Jera

Quote from: suzifrommd on January 13, 2015, 12:02:49 PM
That's a misconception a lot of cisgender people have - that at some point our gender "switches over". Another thing we need to educate them about.

IMO, if your marriage is invalid in the eyes of the church, the church needs to have its eyes checked!

The delusion I usually see is that we're a "biological impossibility" (and I'd quote it, except for the hateful comments). Cis can't see beyond genitals, for whatever reason.

I love this Catholic development, even if I'm not catholic.
  •  

big kim

It's a start,still a lot of house cleaning to do.He could start by throwing out all the kiddie fidlers
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: big kim on January 13, 2015, 12:46:55 PM
It's a start,still a lot of house cleaning to do.He could start by throwing out all the kiddie fidlers

I think he may have started something along that line. Benedict XVI shielded them, I don't think Francis is doing the same.

Pope Francis really warms my heart. I know that choosing a pope from Latin America was a good choice too.
  •  

LoriLorenz

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 13, 2015, 10:48:42 AM
I am not at all surprised.

In discussions with my priest, I was told that there is really not any church doctrine on transgender.

I have also noticed how Pope Francis wants to welcome people into the church, not condemn them. That is a good thing. We have support ministries for divorcees and women who have had abortions, for example.

However, I don't know if there will be openly gay vatican sanctioned priests or same sex weddings in church anytime soon. I was also warned that as soon as I change my gender, our marriage will be invalid in the eyes of the church. I'm not sure exactly what "change my gender" means, I mean I am already female, and I can get the official designation changed legally without surgery. Does he mean change the marriage record?
First, an earlier article on this particular forum points towards the possibility of at least an openly transgendered Nun/Sister, so there is a possibility. I could argue that the major thing any priest should be doing is maintaining their promises of celibacy as the deciding factor, regardless of gender or sexual attraction.

Second, your priest is wrong. Your marriage is only null if you didn't fully commit to the marriage or at the time of the marriage you knew you were trans but hid it from your wife-to-be. Just changing your gender marker is not going to be grounds for annulment.

Third, there are some LGBT* support groups within the Catholic Church: Courage is one based in Vancouver and supported by the Archdiocese (perhaps not financially, but in the sense of allowed and encouraged). EnCourage is the support group for friends and family of LGBT* connected to this group. Caveat: I only know about these groups, I have not gone into them in depth, so I do not know the details of their mandate(s).

Cheers :)
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 12, 2015, 08:47:49 PM
Wow. Interesting development! Wonder how Australian arch conservative Cardinal George Pell (now kicking around the Vatican) and our very own conservative Catholic Prime Minister Tony (uncomfortable with gays) Abbott feel about these developments!

Hopefully, they're so disgusted that they burst into flames and are never seen or heard from again.
Don't stop to ask;
Now you've found a break to make it last.
You've got to find a way,
Say what you want to say;
Breakout
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: LoriLorenz on January 14, 2015, 07:06:38 PM
First, an earlier article on this particular forum points towards the possibility of at least an openly transgendered Nun/Sister, so there is a possibility. I could argue that the major thing any priest should be doing is maintaining their promises of celibacy as the deciding factor, regardless of gender or sexual attraction.

Second, your priest is wrong. Your marriage is only null if you didn't fully commit to the marriage or at the time of the marriage you knew you were trans but hid it from your wife-to-be. Just changing your gender marker is not going to be grounds for annulment.

Third, there are some LGBT* support groups within the Catholic Church: Courage is one based in Vancouver and supported by the Archdiocese (perhaps not financially, but in the sense of allowed and encouraged). EnCourage is the support group for friends and family of LGBT* connected to this group. Caveat: I only know about these groups, I have not gone into them in depth, so I do not know the details of their mandate(s).

Cheers :)

He could very well be wrong, but he didn't tell me this directly either, so my wife may have misinterpreted what he said.
  •  

LoriLorenz

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 14, 2015, 07:17:18 PM
He could very well be wrong, but he didn't tell me this directly either, so my wife may have misinterpreted what he said.
Yes, in that case, misinterpreted is the way I'd go. Your marriage should remain valid as far as I know.
  •