Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

US: Faith-based leaders ask Obama to minimise religious exemption

Started by Olivia P, July 12, 2014, 07:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia P

11th July 2014, 9:06 PM
Katie Dupere

Over one hundred faith leaders have signed a letter addressed to President Barack Obama urging him to minimise a religious exemption in his upcoming executive order, which serves to protect LGBT people from discrimination.

If included, the exemption would allow companies and service agencies with federal contracts, including some big-name corporations that do business with federal government, to fire LGBT people for religious reasons.

Signers of the letter include five seminary presidents, four former members of the President's Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, and five members of a presidential taskforce to reform The Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

More:
To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. - Thích Nhất Hạnh
  •  

Jess42

Wow this is really getting rediculous. Where is the tolerance and live and let live attitude. Really they better watch out if they are truly believers because there are a lot of churches that will be judged in the "end" according to the Book of Revelation in the Bible and most are not true to Christ. If they believe in the Bible. Just something to think about especially when seeing yourself as Righteous and judging others as evil doers.
  •  

Alaia

Quote from: Jess42 on July 12, 2014, 09:19:45 AM
Wow this is really getting rediculous. Where is the tolerance and live and let live attitude. Really they better watch out if they are truly believers because there are a lot of churches that will be judged in the "end" according to the Book of Revelation in the Bible and most are not true to Christ. If they believe in the Bible. Just something to think about especially when seeing yourself as Righteous and judging others as evil doers.
They are asking that Obama minimize the exemption, not make it worse. I was thown off a bit at first too until I went and read the article:
Pink News - US: Faith-based leaders ask Obama to minimise religious exemption

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

― Rumi
  •  

Eris

Personally I see this as a positive sign, actions like this help you remember that there are many people out there whose religion isn't solely based around insecurity and hatred for those who are different from them.

It might be enough to restore your faith in humanity :laugh:
Hopefully further actions like this will help mitigate the growing resentment towards religion in general.

I'm afraid that I can't see a link on your Post Olivia, I had to google it to read the article.
I refuse to live in fear! Come hell or high water I will not back down! I will live my life!
But you have no life.
Ha. Even that won't stop me.

I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

•  

Jess42

Quote from: Alaia on July 12, 2014, 10:44:49 AM
They are asking that Obama minimize the exemption, not make it worse. I was thown off a bit at first too until I went and read the article:
Pink News - US: Faith-based leaders ask Obama to minimise religious exemption

Alright I must hav misread it. So nix what I said before, I blame Olivia for gettin' me all worked up. ;)
  •