Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

FTN - Help on achieving Androgynous voice?

Started by EchelonHunt, July 18, 2014, 11:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EchelonHunt

Hello everyone!

I have originally identified as FTM and been on hormones (T) for four years. My voice has deepened significantly and recently, it has caused a disconnect with my mind.

My inside voice (the voice you speak inside your head with thinking and reading sentences) is for the most part a soft androgynous voice. I didn't pick up on this until I had discovered my identity lies along the non-binary spectrum. Whenever I think a sentence in my head, and then speak, my voice throws me off completely.

My default voice is deep and masculine - it rumbles in the chest area. When I'm irritated, it gets more deeper and more gruff - if that makes sense (think caveman style). I can do high pitch and/or falsetto very easily (which I suppose anyone can do really). I have tried to do a voice in the middle range but I can't hold it for very long. It cracks and returns to the deep voice.

How would I go about achieving an androgynous voice? Would I be better off learning how to get a female voice but just sticking to the androgynous ranges? If I wanted to go for an androgynous voice with a more female tone/pitch than male, would that be possible?

Thank you!
  •  

AmyBerlin

Hi EchelonHunt,

the problem is: when the voice has deepened under the influence of T, there's no going back. And you don't want to go back all the way, anyway, pitch-wise. Quintessentially, you're in the same position as an MtF who needs to feminize her deepened voice. I guess the best you can do is try one of the standard MtF voice training programs – most likely "Finding your Female Voice" by Andrea James

– and do the exercises that focus on resonance, not those on pitch, in order to speak with female resonance, which will take the boominess out of your voice, and see if you desire any further modification afterward.

Regards,

Amy
  •  

Ms Grace

It's a problem many trans women face, once testosterone lengthens the vocal cords the only way to a more feminine voice is through surgery. It is however possible to learn to speak in a more feminine voice but depending on how deep your voice is that can be hard and require lots of tuition and practice otherwise you might damage your vocal folds.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

EchelonHunt

Quote from: AmyBerlin on July 19, 2014, 01:52:27 AM
the problem is: when the voice has deepened under the influence of T, there's no going back. And you don't want to go back all the way, anyway, pitch-wise. Quintessentially, you're in the same position as an MtF who needs to feminize her deepened voice. I guess the best you can do is try one of the standard MtF voice training programs – most likely "Finding your Female Voice" by Andrea James

– and do the exercises that focus on resonance, not those on pitch, in order to speak with female resonance, which will take the boominess out of your voice, and see if you desire any further modification afterward.

Hi Amy,

Thank you for the youtube link, it was very helpful! I will be sure to focus on resonance rather than pitch. :)

Quote from: Ms Grace on July 19, 2014, 04:03:16 AM
It's a problem many trans women face, once testosterone lengthens the vocal cords the only way to a more feminine voice is through surgery. It is however possible to learn to speak in a more feminine voice but depending on how deep your voice is that can be hard and require lots of tuition and practice otherwise you might damage your vocal folds.

Hello Ms Grace,

I have thought seriously about Yeson Voice Center as an option but I'm not sure if I would be allowed to since I'm not MtF. I think I would be better off training my voice, seeing whether I like or not first. It's going to be a lot of hard work and patience on my end but I'm willing to do anything at this stage! The last couple of months, I have watched many MtF voice videos, it makes me smile and have hope that if a feminine voice can be possible, an androgynous voice can be too!

I find that I am sympathizing with transwoman a lot in terms of voice issues and seeking electrolysis/hair removal. Whenever I hear of successful voice surgery results, I get teary and feel immensely happy for them!

Thank you for responding :)
  •