News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Wig care

Started by RebeccaZ, July 22, 2014, 09:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebeccaZ

Hey girls!
Is it okay to use regular hair spray on my wigs or is necessary to buy certain products?
Any other tips on wig care would also be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance!
Becca
Becca
  •  

Eva Marie

I have used regular hairspray on my wigs with no issue, but you will need to wash them occasionally to get the layers of built up hairspray off.

I use a wig shampoo that I bought at a wig shop and I wash mine in the sink when they are not looking fresh. I use lukewarm water and just swish them around gently in the sink for a few minutes, then squeeze as much water out as possible. I have some Styrofoam heads that I use to store my wigs so I just put them on the heads to dry. When they are dry I brush them out and they regain their original shape.

Easy peasy.
  •  

Evienne

Yeah, I read about wig care online, and it was saying that most products that you can use on your normal hair, you can use on a wig, especially if it's made with real hair. Synthetic hair, you might just want to be a little cautious with, and perhaps just google it to make sure before using a product. But normal shampoos at least should work on synthetic wigs. They say when washing them, to fill a sink of water and put soap in it, and lightly brush the wig through it with your hands, and let it dry out when done. I'm still yet to do it, but will probably have to eventually, I'm just sharing what I read online. Oh, and they said if it's fake hair, not to use an iron on it. Some say it will be safe if you keep it on a low setting, but if you mess it up, you can ruin the wig.
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

Ticking Time bomb: 533 days
  •  

Ms Grace

I recently saw a wig that was not well cared for and it was not a pretty sight. Matted and just plain yuck, it looked like a dead mop head. The more your wig costs and the more you wear it the more you should take care of it - combing/brushing, washing (wig shampoo and conditioner), etc.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

RebeccaZ

Quote from: RebeccaZ on July 22, 2014, 09:07:32 PM
Hey girls!
Is it okay to use regular hair spray on my wigs or is necessary to buy certain products?
Any other tips on wig care would also be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance!
Becca

Thanks for the help ladies! I am just somewhat leary with some of the information on the web and so I'll choose to  trust the knowledge of like minded friends!
Becca
Becca
  •  

Lyric

Well, wigs come in two types, human hair and synthetic and care for them is very different. A human hair wig can receive most of the same products you use on your own hair. It is wise to do so prudently, though, since wig hair doesn't receive natural oils from the scalp the way growing hair does, so it can dry out more easily. I've never sprayed a synthetic wig, but it's generally recommended to use a spray intended for synthetic wigs. You can buy this from any wig dealer. There are also special shampoos and conditioners sold for synthetic wigs, though I've washed them with regular baby shampoo with  no problem.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •