Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My eyes don't like eyeliner

Started by tuuliu, October 15, 2014, 12:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuuliu

Hey I was just wondering if this is just me or if anyone else has the same problem OR if I'm doing something really wrong: I practiced some smokey eyes yesterday and right afterwards my eyes got irritated, in sort of a dry way if you get what I mean. They're still feeling quite dry and I need to close them constantly. If you've ever had dry eyes you know what I mean. I associate this with the eyeliner and now I'm thinking I might substitute it with black eye shadow and/or try liquid instead.

Monkeymel

Are you placing on the inside of lids? Or underneath the lashes? When i first started out i could not tolerate inside of the lids, so learned to place the liner carefully under / above the lashes and it worked well.
More recently i was able to tolerate inside the lids - but im using a very well defined eye-liner brush from MAC (not cheap but really good) and normal eye shadows to create the effects i want. And my eyes tolerate it mostly now.

Trying out brands and different brush types is well worth a saturday....
  •  

Anna-Maria

Hey  :D

Don´t know if I got you right. You did practicing with liquid eyeliner and after applying it to your eye lid, your eyes reacted on this with dryness? Or have you brought the eyeliner to your eye? In the latter case it´s quite normal to get a defensive reaction by your eyes. The times this happened to me it was as if my eye would run out of tears, it was like I was crying and couldn´t stop. Afterwards i recognized a redness but I guess, that´s just normal.

If the former is the case, it might have been an allergical reaction to the eyeliner and I would try to switch over to more natural products without too much chemicals in it.

xoxo
"Think pink, but don´t wear it"
Karl Lagerfeld

•  

tuuliu

Thanks for replying :) Mostly over the lashes, but I did use some inside the lower lashes. None of it got IN the eye luckily. The brand is Maybelline if I remember right. Oh and I've only used a dry eyeliner so far. It's still itching >.<

I'll just try if there's a difference if I don't put it inside the lower lashes either. If that doesn't work I'll just have to get a new one or a liquid one, maybe take a look at natural brands.

Jaime R D

You could try a good gel with a brush and stay just outside the lashline, not inside of it at all, upper or lower. there is a mucousy area right at the edges that might get annoyed at stuff like that.
  •  

tuuliu

Yeah I looked around and a gel really sounds interesting but quite difficult  ??? like it's for professional use.

kira21 ♡♡♡

Liquid is better than gel. You get cleaner lines. Your eyes will get used to it.

tuuliu

I tried eyeliner today again, so far it's not itching as bad and I actually went out to see a drag show wearing it ^^ so it looks like the coast is clear when I only use it over the upper lashes. I'll give liquid eyeliner a try though because the dry one gets smudgy and I'd like to see a more defined line. Thanks all :)

Leeloo_Dallas

You get used to it,  I put refresh eye drops in before I do my makeup.  I prefer Maybelline Master Kajal pencil for inside the lid, and MAC Fluidline gel for the top of the lid.  No eye irritation with that combo. :)
  •  

tuuliu

Eye drops actually crossed my mind but I didn't try them out.. I'll keep that in mind if the problem pops up again thanks ;) a local liquid eyeliner and a natural kajal seem to do the trick for me. Or then I DID get used to it!

Emmaline

Eyeliner is a bitch.  Grrr!

I use hydraveil primer from illamasqua on my eyes first to stop the power build up in creases, but I find as a result my eyes become less irritated (I wear contacts)- I suspect it gives better adhesion for the particles and they stay out of my eyes.  I have been using liquid eyeliner pens, but want to try gels and brushes.
Body... meet brain.  Now follow her lead and there will be no more trouble, you dig?

•  

Madison Bennett

I have the exact same problem.  I cannot wear eyeliner, even though I love it.  It also smudges horribly.  For this reason, I have sworn it off.

Hopefully you can find a solution though, so you won't have to!  Good luck!
  •  

Eva Marie

I had trouble with eyeliner with the irritated eyes and the incessant smudging. I tried several different eyeliners and finally settled on an eyeliner pencil called Silkissime by Loreal - if you sharpen it to a nice point it goes on smoothly and stays put, with no smudging.
  •  

Rainbow Dash

Some eyeliners irritate me but also, I've found eyeshadow makes my eyelids feel heavy. So I don't like to wear it every day.
"Maybe I really joined with them to keep the loneliness at bay.
Yet in the end, you couldn't make it go away. Others could rely on you, but you couldn't rely on them."

"She's a little scared to get close to anyone because everyone who said, "I'll always be here for you," left."
  •  

Emmaline

Must remember to buy waterproof soon.  Far too much crying of late.

A panda will take interest in me.
Body... meet brain.  Now follow her lead and there will be no more trouble, you dig?

•  

tuuliu

Madison,

I'm using a natural brand when I do wear makeup and it's stopped the itching. You should try one! I'll buy a primer at some point to prevent the smudging.

The main problem now is that there's a lot of visible blackness around my eyes the next day even if I use a makeup remover... so I can't wear it if I have work on the next day (still in guy mode :( )