Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Mixed Documents in Canada?

Started by beaver, October 29, 2014, 12:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaver

I'm in the process of changing my name and gender now. However, I have recently applied for my Canadian Citizenship (I'm a permanent resident), where I've changed my name, and the federal stuff is gonna take a while to come out. I just changed my gender marker on the Ontario side of things, and is about to submit my new name change. Has anyone found difficulties in this awkward period? For example, doing taxes, or traveling, etc.

I'm also wondering if ANYONE has experience trying to transition while applying for citizenship, because there is no information on that whatsoever and I'm scared I've screwed it up by changing my provincial documents, which I kind of regret doing now, because I didn't think everything through. :O
  •  

kinz

Your name change form makes any documentation with your old name on it still legal, you just need to make sure the Immigration Canada people have your name change information so they know everything is the same person.

The gender stuff actually matters less because while it's on every document, it isn't used for ID purposes (isn't used for almost any purpose). I've flown with not matching documentation--didn't make any difference other than a few surprised looks. Taxes was no big, just needed to submit with a copy of my name change form.

And congrats on your application! Hope everything goes smooth.
  •  

beaver

Thanks for your reply kinz, that's some big weight off my shoulders!
  •  

jfong

For us immigrant, to apply for Canadian passport, we will need the updated citizenship cert. So make sure your citizenship cert info is correct before getting your pasport.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

•