Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Binary privilege.

Started by Dread_Faery, September 22, 2014, 02:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

✰Fairy~Wishes✰

Privilege isn't a bad word. Having privilege doesn't make you a bad person.
It just means that things are unfair for other people.

And I think that there is privilege for people in the gender binary.
It's very hard for people to be genderqueer, like agender and stuffystuffs like that when most people are expecting you to be a man or a woman.
Look up in the sky, it makes you feel so high!
  •  

Jen72

I feel the perfect solution would be an evaluation by a therapist and the individual to discover the path to which they should proceed.  However there are two points that really make this not perfect.

Fear:

Society what ever group faction or whatever fears other groups and breaking those fears takes time a lot of it. As to conforming to a binary aspect one would fit into the general population better then non binary so from the mental aspect of the person a non binary would struggle more due to societal fear of something different/unknown. Which is probably why the current system leans to binary more so there for yes privilege.

Honesty:

Lets face it how many are going to be 100% honest to their therapist and the therapist to the individual as well as the individual to themselves.  From my perspective I have not been totally honest with myself getting better mind you. In order to counter dishonesty however it comes a criteria is set forth to weed out said dishonesty.

Really yes things need to change the tricky part is the how to set forth criteria that fit. Only things I can think of is to make sure the person is of sound mind of course and they are truly honest with themselves and evaluator. Lastly to spend some time to at least research and look at what that change will really mean (RLE). As for the RLE for non binary it should work in such away to fit them not as it sits. Perhaps a MTF must wear prosthetic breasts for 6 months to experience it before they get real ones. Bottom aspect well that of course more difficult not sure what maybe again MTF wear chastity or FTM wear a packer as experience to what that really feels like before said surgery/change.

As far as privilege itself to some degree it will always exist and some not so I can think of one in Canada that is a funky example of what should or should not be allowed.  East Indian males are religiously allowed to wear a ceremonial dagger all the time.  However in Canada you are not allowed to be carrying a weapon.  So which is right the privilege of religion or the privilege of societies safety. Unless this has changed society safety has the privilege over religion in this matter. So to some degree rights and privilege should be warranted and some denied. I emphasize to some degree as what should perhaps be done with non binary is a more detailed evaluation as far as how they can cope with not fitting into general society. This is not to make the non binary any less privileged due to more intense evaluation but to better prepare for the life they are about to embark upon which is to fight society more so then a binary transgender. Since a binary transgender in theory blends into society.

Lastly to be honest my path is just begun but I can see both sides and make a decision from what others have said and think upon said issue.
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

helen2010

Jen

I think I know what you are saying and agree that binary society (cis and Trans) struggles with understanding NB.  While it is right for this to be questioned and explored by the individual and by their therapist, this is just as true for the binary identified trans.

Therapy and the journey for self discovery and acceptance is the search for authenticity, for the tools and confidence to live your truth.  If the discomfort experienced by others appears to be of concern there are a number of mechanisms and skills that can be applied or developed.

In society it has never been a good idea to force integration with the majority, whether it has been with religious, political or indigenous groups.  Harm results when diversity is forcibly attacked.

We have to be very careful that a patriarchal approach which seeks to achieve conformity is not just lateral violence in disguise.  I am uncomfortable with the example of the dagger that you have used.  The presence of NB does not pose a physical threat to any part of binary society.  Education is needed for the majority, not misguided attempts at 'reeducation' or forced conformity with the binary model.  Indeed such an approach isn't too dissimilar to that which CIS society originally tried to apply to the broader trans community, reeducate, deny and hide, because we made them uncomfortable, and in some cases were perceived as a threat to the staus quo of cis society.

Safe travels

Aisla
  •  

Taka

i see no ned for rle as far as i am concerned. but then again, i've already worn green hair, and even pink as a teacher. can i cope with not fitting in? totally. in my case i'm more likely to not even remember that i stick out until someone reminds me. and i won't let them get away with doing it impolitely.

the lack of available treatment options is still what worries me most, and feels most unfair.

great to have grown up at the bottom of every kyriarchy... the fight for equal rights never ends for me. hopefully it will be easier for my daughter, but with the way these discussions seem to take, i fear for her generation as well.
  •  

Jen72

Sorry perhaps bad example with dagger but was not my point to be about threat.  '

Actually transgender in a sense do pose a threat to CIS In that they fear what they cannot comprehend which is why someone is so different from themselves. I am not saying transgender intend this whatsoever but some peoples ego can get threatened by something that throws them off guard and then in a sense they have a fear that their own identity is threatened (insecurity). However in reality the threat is truly non existent but fear is in the mind not truly real if that makes any sense. This will probably change in time to a degree as people learn what transgender really are but some will always be threatened such as an alpha male looking at a MTF going why/how could you do that?

My point was basically when two sides clash a compromise must be met and within that compromise most likely one party will face some degree of privilege or disadvantage.

On the conformity yes not my intent to assimilate but NB being able to cope with oppression from the majority (if need help). On the latter I see Taka can and does cope well with it my idea was for someone who needs help to get to that stage if need be of course.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. Sometimes bad at conveying what I mean:)
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

Taka

when you put it like that... part of successful treatment may be help to not only be oneaelf, but also find ways to meet society that don't make a person break down in anxiety. finding out what the needs really are and consodering pros and cons of different presentations, as well as having support while trying it out, would be a good strategy.

but hormone treatment may be necessary even before changing presentation. finding out if this is necessary, and whether side effects, like changing voice or breast growth are acceptable to a person, is also of importance. but many don't really know until they've tried. there really is no one size fits all for non-binary, and every treatment must be worked out between the person and their doctors.

but health authorities are unfortunately not yet willing to take this step, not in all states and countries. it's frustrating and damaging to an already marginalized group. and many binary transsexuals unfortunately care more about what rights they may lose (unlikely to happen) or the possible invalidation they may face, than the benefits that also many binary transsexuals would get with a possibility for better tailored treatment.
  •