Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Gratitude?

Started by theadanielle, October 13, 2014, 11:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theadanielle

Having a rough time right now, I'm having difficulty finding a job and have faced some covert discrimination.  I was feeling kind of sorry for myself, so I thought I'd share some things I'm grateful for since transitioning. 

1.  I was sure at least some of my family would disown me.  I hid behind a gay male identity for over twenty years, believing if I ever did transition I'd be cast out.  Everyone, sisters, mom, nieces, nephews, have been 100% supportive and instantly accepting.
2.  Not a single rejection among my friends.  A few who occasionally stick their foot in their mouth but I kind of expect that.
3.  My neighbors are totally supportive.  A few strange looks when I first started going gender variant but generally fine once they got used to the idea and I started to look more and more feminine.
4.   I only lost one professional reference as a result of my transition, but still have four or five who are totally on board.
5.  My FFS surgeon, Dr. Spiegel, who really listened to my concerns.  He gave me such good care, and gave me what I wanted - to simply disappear in a crowd of strangers, but to be recognizable to the people I'm close to.  I feel safe in just about any crowd thanks to him.
6.  That I finally feel attractive and confident in my appearance.  I don't shy away from cameras and mirrors anymore. 
7.  I am still discovering girl things I've never had and deriving pleasure from them.  (Tonight I am wearing a nightie for the first time!!!)
8.  I am SO grateful to the program of Alanon.  Without it I never would have found the courage to do what I wanted for MYSELF all these years, and devil take the people who might object or be offended.

So - what things are you all grateful for in your transitions and in your lives?
  •  

devention

I'm grateful for all the support the people around me have given me, especially my friends and family. If anyone has negative opinions, they've kept them to themselves.
I'm very grateful that my mother has seen beyond herself and realized that transition is the path that is most likely to lead to my happiness, and I'm glad she's going to be coming with me to my top surgery.
I'm grateful to my Co workers, who have made transitioning on the job as easy me as they could--although it took some of them longer to catch on than others (several of them had just started picking up on everything right before my termination lol).
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

•