Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Left-Hand Path Religions

Started by Satyrane, October 19, 2014, 08:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothic Dandy

Weird to see myself talk about old thoughts I don't remember sharing...and did I actually get misgendered on Susan's? lol

Just popping back in to say that I have a better grasp on Luciferian philosophy as it pertains to me. If anybody wants to discuss anything in particular, I'm willing, but I don't have anything specific to add to the conversation right now.

Quote from: SiobhánF on February 21, 2017, 09:39:07 AM

So, to get things straight, in case people are not aware, Satanism isn't the worship of Satan, or anything like it. Satan literally means "adversary," as in the adversary to God or to some supreme authority. It's the antithesis to flock-like mentality (group think) and any person who would fashion themselves as an authority over another person's life. Organized religions do this to people and are seen as slavery chosen over complete, individual freedom. As you can imagine, this sparks ideas in the minds of many who are tired of living under such authority and wish to buck the system. Anything that may be considered adversarial to the status quo or socially acceptable way of life falls under Satanism.

By your definition I'm a Satanist after all, lol.

I still see Satan and Lucifer as separate and sometimes opposite entities, but that's just me. I like how this collection of philosophies encourages individuals to craft their own versions.
Just a little faerie punk floating through this strange world of humans.
  •  

SiobhánF

I also see them as separate. I only named two of the eight that are discussed in it. I merely mentioned the two because people tend to think of them as only being one and the same, even though they represent two different ideas.
Be your own master, not the slave to illusion;
The lord of your own life, not the servant to falsities;
Only then will you realize your true potential and shake off the burdens of your fears and doubts.

•  

SiobhánF

Also, people can interpret it as they see fit and come up with multiple ways to be a satanist. Some believe in magick, some believe in deities, while I don't believe in either. It is what you make of it, but it's the ideas represented within that make it Satanism.
Only then will you realize your true potential and shake off the burdens of your fears and doubts.

•  

SiobhánF

For those who wish to know more about what I mean by the representations discussed within Satanism, I have taken the brief explanations provided within a book that I've read, called "The Satanic Narratives," by Damien Ba'al (obviously not is actual name). I do this not to try and convince others to take this path, but to educate and help others understand that Satanism isn't about evil; it's more about loving and respecting yourself, as well as doing so for others. It would seem that people love to demonize things that they do not understand. Here, I merely go over the symbolism for each aspect.

Satan

"Satan literally means 'adversary'. Satan is primarily opposition and rebellion. It is the unbowed will in the face of oppression, the eternal rebel versus the ultimate dictator. It is an unrelenting rebellion waged against the antitheses of Satanic ideals and deeply held beliefs."

Ba'al

"Ba'al is the outcast, the outsider, the hated other, and the one who perseveres. The Lord of the Sky was demonized and renamed the Lord of the Flies. The implication being that he was a piece of ****. Ba'al, Baal, Bel, or other variations simply translated as 'lord'. Therefore, there were many mythological beings that could be called Ba'al, and no doubt, many were demonized. This is about the Lord of the Flies though, Ba'al Zebub, who is best known as Beelzebub."

Lucifer

"Of all the aspects of Satan, we get the most from Lucifer. Lucifer is the bringer of light, wisdom, and knowledge. The intellectual focus, critical thinking skills, and the valuing of human beings come from this aspect. The literary Satan is very Luciferian."

Baphomet

"Baphomet symbolizes balance, human nature, and the natural world. The human-centric focus of Lucifer works in conjunction with this to give us a robust, naturalist morality, with a proper basis for our normative values."

The Leviathan

"The Leviathan symbolizes life, health, community, and creativity. The first two things are fairly self-explanatory. It is the other two that will be the focus. Community, and our instinct to live that way, come from our evolution as a social species. A group of like-minded individuals can find mutual benefit in association. The sharing of the joys of life with companions makes those moments all the more sweet. Sometimes you might find yourself doing things to help others, but when you need it, you should find these others coming to your aid."

Belial

"Belial symbolizes individualism, independence, and accomplishment. This aspect is an animated and anthropomorphized representation of the Left-Hand Path. This path is about discovery, acceptance, and fulfillment of self."

Pan

"Pan symbolizes indulgence, hedonism, sex, music, drink, food, celebrations -- everything that makes life fun and enjoyable. Traditional religions view all these things as evil. It is the exact opposite for the Satanist. There is nothing to be gained from deprivation. It is not inherently virtuous. Indulgence and making the most of this one life that you have is the thing that is truly virtuous."

Loki

"Loki symbolizes humor, fun, wit, and cunning. Loki is the prankster. Even when working toward serious goals, one cannot be serious all the time. The characteristics of the Loki aspect of Satan can be very useful."

•  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

I know this topic hasn't been posted in for a while, but I still feel the urge/need to reply.

I started off as a Modern/LaVeyan Satanist. I studied LaVey's "teachings" and philosophy of Satanism. But I noticed that, for me at least, something was missing. I felt the need to belong to something. I wasn't willing to join the CoS because under the Gilmore regime, I feel that it has lost all credibility and deserves no respect.

As I looked I came across the Church of Lucifer. I read thru their site, and decided to apply. I was accepted as a member almost instantly. As the years went on I became a well respected member, a moderator on the forums, and a member of the CoL council. The website is unfortunately gone now, but the CoL is still very much alive.

I have this article written on my website, and I feel it can help people understand Modern/LaVeyan Satanism:

A Brief Definition of Satanism

When most people think of Satanism, images of Demons, Sacrifices, and Animal mutilations usually come to mind. After all that is what the media, and your local church has spoon-fed to the masses for years. Most people assume that Satanists embrace "evil", aren't capable of loving, and that Satanism is nothing more than inverse Christianity. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Satan by definition, it's true definition, is the Adversary, or the Opposition. We oppose the Status quo, and the closed minded herd mentality that fuels stupidity and ignorance like a social cancer. Instead we embrace Intellect, Objectivism, Individuality, and Rational self-interest.

You are the only person who has control over your life; no "God" will make your life better for you. It is much like Santa Claus; we are told as children that if you don't believe in him you will be punished by not getting any presents. Religions of all kinds work in much the same way, with the exception of Satanism. We do not believe in things we cannot see, and yes that includes "Satan." Why should we, that is not rational.

I'm sure you are asking yourself, "Then why the name Satanism?" The answer is quite simple. Throughout history all religions have only preached obedience and faith while Individuality, and rational thought has been condemned and called "evil". It wasn't that long ago that the Churches attempted to ban books that provoke thought, and make people think for themselves instead of buying into the church scams and guilt trips. Satanism is quite the opposite, hence the term "Adversary" (The definition of Satan)

A Crash Course History of Modern Satanism

The Origin of Satanism is traced back thousands of years in various false forms. In some literature Satanism is regarded as a literal worship of various Demons and Deity's, other times it shows up as Witchcraft where practitioners make pacts with Satan and are thus granted their powers. Yet in other forms, Satanism is akin to Voodoo or Necromancy, and even ancient Pagans were regarded as Satanists who again were given powers by "Satan." Nearly all of these cases are incorrect and had nothing to do with the true term Satan or Modern Satanism.

Modern Satanism can only be traced back to 1966 when Anton LaVey shaved his head, performed a ritual and declared the formation of the "Church of Satan." The religion (or anti-religion if you will) was composed as an answer to organized western religion and culture's repression of natural instincts and desires.

Major influences of the Satanic Philosophy are as follows:

The Magick of Aleister Crowley, and the works of the Abbey of Thelema.

The Cynical anti-theistic viewpoints and writings of Friedrich Nietzsche

The Objectivism philosophy of Ayn Rand

The Comical and Social viewpoint of people like P.T. Barnum

The brutal reality of Ragnard Redbeard's writings.

Prior to LaVey forming the Church of Satan, LaVey in the early to mid sixties would hold Midnight Masses at his Victorian home in San Francisco's Richmond District. It would attract many high profile figures from the San Francisco area, which made LaVey somewhat of a local legend. This is what caused LaVey to start the "Satanic Church" later renamed the "Church of Satan" (often referred to "CoS" for short).

In 1969 LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible, which would prove to be the bedrock for modern Satanism. To date it has sold nearly 1,000,000 copies worldwide and has been translated into several languages.

The Church of Satan thrived vigorously in the late sixties and early seventies attracting many celebrities including Sammy Davis Jr., and Jayne Mansfield to name a couple.

In 1975 many changes occurred within the CoS, LaVey had done away with the Grotto system. A network of sub-churches setup across the country. Some structural re-organization had also been done.

It was at this time that Michael Aquino, member of the Church of Satan, broke away from the Church and formed his "Temple of Set." Aquino maintained that LaVey had changed his stance from believing in an actual Satan to referring to it as more of a relative term. LaVey claimed that he had always referred to Satan as a "Dark force of Nature" rather than an actual deity.

Between 1970 and 1992 LaVey had written three other books. The Compleat Witch (Re-released as "The Satanic Witch"), The Satanic Rituals, and The Devil's Notebook.

During this period in the '80's there was a wave of Satanic panic as many talk shows, news media, and various papers across the country began reporting on Satanic Serial Killers, and Groups of Satanists that were opening day care centers, molesting, and sacrificing children. This sparked an FBI investigation, which concluded that there was no such activity taking place.

Just after the release of the Devil's Notebook in 1992 LaVey made a film entitled "Speak of the Devil" It was a documentary about the Anton LaVey, the history of Satanism, and the Church of Satan. It seemed to revive the Satanic movement a little but not nearly as much as would be seen in 1996.

A musician by the name of Marilyn Manson release an album entitled "Antichrist Superstar" which fueled a pop-culture trend of Goth teenagers proclaiming to be Satanists. Many of these children were nothing more than alienated teens that were simply rebelling against religion, and their parents.

This created a surge of attention for LaVey and the Church of Satan. A revitalized church had sky rocketing membership applications and a renewed interest in Satanism. Ironically in the midst of the Goth culture phenomenon LaVey would die of heart failure in his home on the night of Oct. 27, 1997.

The Aftermath of LaVey's Death

Not surprisingly the death of LaVey created a frenzy in and outside of the Satanic community. Detractors came out from rocks to demystify, or debunk nearly all parts of LaVey's personal and private life, and of course the Church of Satan itself.

Karla LaVey (Anton's eldest daughter) and Blanche Barton (LaVey's Biographer, and mother of his Son) had agreed to run the Church together as co-High Priestess's. It was just after this agreement that Blanche produced a handwritten will and claimed that the Church, LaVey's personal property, and all rights to LaVey's writings were the sole property of Blanche, and LaVey's youngest Son Xerxes.

Karla had contested the will citing a Doctors statement that LaVey was heavily medicated and had just come out of a death experience when he was coerced to write the Will. The Will was later invalidated and an agreement was made.

Feeling that her fathers personal items were more important than the organization itself Karla agreed to let Blanche have the "Organization known as Church of Satan" in return LaVey's three children (Karla, Zeena, and Xerxes) were to equally divide his personal belongings, and the rights to his works.

During this time Blanche and clergy of the Church had begun a vicious campaign against Karla claiming she was not qualified to run the Church, had not contributed to the Church, and went through long periods of not speaking to her father.

In reality Karla LaVey had gone on numerous lecture tours at University's regarding Satanism. Appeared on countless television talk shows and radio interviews, promoting the Church, her father's work, and the philosophy itself. She was even featured on the Cover of Brazil's most popular magazine giving an interview on the Satanism, and the Occult.

Karla then decided to form the "First Satanic Church" in 1999, an identical organization to her father's old Church in order to carry on the family tradition. Her church is operating out of San Francisco just as her father had run the Church of Satan.

Blanche currently resides in San Diego, California and has no longer handles CoS administration. The Church of Satan is now run mostly online, based out of New York where memberships are processed, while still maintaining the P.O. Box in San Francisco for personal correspondence to Blanche.

A large number of new Satanic Churches have popped up since the death of LaVey in 1997. Most of them Internet based and lacking any real substance. That just seems to be par for the course these days.

A Word about Satanism Today

Satanism has always been about being an individual; it therefore makes sense that regardless of organizational politics the primary focus should be on the individual. It has become a bit cliché yet it still holds true that you do not have to join any organization to be a Satanist. Only you can determine where you want to go in life.

In closing I would like to say that Satanism is the Bedrock philosophy of human existence. It is the philosophy that is your primer paint before you put several layers of other paints on the wall. It is the first stepping-stone in life's journey for infinite knowledge. In the long run it's really what keeps you grounded and your head out of the clouds.

I would encourage you to do your own research and studying on the subjects of Satanism & the Occult Sciences.

**********************************************************************************

If anyone wants, I will also post the 9 Satanic sins, the 9 Satanic statements, and the 11 Satanic rules of the earth.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

SiobhánF

By all means! I would do it, but I think you have the right idea. Educate! ;)

•  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

Some of the terminology used here is completely open to interpretation. For example on the 11th Satanic Rule Of The Earth, the word destroy can mean slap the person to you, while it means run them over with your car to someone else.

The 9 Satanic Sins

1-) Stupidity

The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.

2-) Pretentiousness

Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn't applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone's made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.

3-) Solipsism

Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses, and sensibilities onto someone else who is probably far less attuned that you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy, and respect that you naturally give them. They won't. Instead Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do onto you." It's work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian viewpoint) we are from that point.

4-) Self-Deceit

It's in the Nine Satanic Statement but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered is when it is fun, and with awareness. But then, it's not self-deceit!

5-) Herd Conformity

That's obvious from a Satanic stance. It's all right to conform to a person's wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of many.

6-) Lack of Perspective

Again, this one can lead to a lot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, everyday. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit the things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. So not be swayed herd constraints--know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.

7-) Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxy's

Be aware that this one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something as "new" and "different", when in reality it's something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the "creator" and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.

8-) Counterproductive Pride

The first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bath water. The rule of Satanism is if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow," then do it.

9-) Lack of Aesthetics

This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. It is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off it most of the tome so it is discouraged in a consumer society, but is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for magical effectiveness. It's not what's supposed to be pleasing--it's what is. Aesthetics is a highly personal thing, reflective of one's own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.

The 9 Satanic Statements

I
Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!

II
Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

III
Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

IV
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

V
Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!

VI
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

VII
Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those who walk on all-fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development," has become the most vicious animal of all!

VIII
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

IX
Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!

The 11 Satanic Rules Of The Earth

I

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

II

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure that they want to hear them.

III

When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

IV

If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

V

Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

VI

Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the person and he cries out to be relieved.

VII

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have used it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

VIII

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

IX

Do not harm little children.

X

Do not kill non-human animals unless attacked or for your food.

XI

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

If anyone has any intelligent questions about Satanism, that they feel have not been addressed, feel free to ask. I will answer them as best I can.

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•