Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Wearing makeup when I don't pass

Started by Makenzie, October 23, 2014, 05:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makenzie

•  

VivianK

I currently present as male full time, but still wear varying amounts of makeup depending on my expected company.  I've even been known to get longish acrylic nails, for which I receive as many compliments as I do awkward stares.  Most people tend to assume I'm a gay cis-male, but I don't particularly care unless it's a girl I think is cute (Like, really?  Is that a thing now?  Of course!  All the gay guys are getting long ass fake nails now, right? Let's name a few, shall we... *eye-roll*)  If you live in a fairly liberal area, there's not much reason to worry about wearing whatever makes you happy or comfortable.
  •  

Makenzie

•  

Jessica Merriman

Performed correctly it can help you pass. There are great tutorials on YouTube. Here is one of my favorite girls. Her skills are so amazing.

•  

Makenzie

•  

VivianK

Yikes.  It's hard for me to say, but if you're already presenting as female, wearing makeup isn't likely to make you any worse off.  I'd think if anything, light makeup would cause fewer people to clock you than before.  What are your concerns about wearing makeup in the first place?  Being noticed?  Insulted?  Embarrassed?  If it's to do with anything but being physically assaulted, personally, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
  •  

Jessica Merriman

You may not realize it now, but confidence in yourself is 80% of passing. If you are on the passing border confidence sells you to others where before (nervous) they would pick you out instantly.  :)
  •  

Makenzie

I'm still presenting male.Im pre HRT because I need advice on coming out
  •  

Jessica Merriman

I don't know your situation so bear with me.

I went full time before HRT. That is where the confidence I told you about passes you. Now 10 months later on HRT I know it was better for me to socially transition before physically transitioning. What do you need to know about coming out specifically?
  •  

Makenzie

I made a different thread for that,it was kinda off topic
  •  

KarynMcD

If you want to start off easy, go with lip gloss, a light mascara, and clear nail polish. If you are adventuresome, try some sheer foundation.
Then work your way up to tinted lip gloss, a darker mascara and sheer nail polish.

When you think people are used to it, start adding more obvious makeup: lipstick, eyeliner.
  •  

Hikari

When I presented male I was goth and that gave me huge leeway in my makeup, granted I wasn't wearing pink lip gloss I was wearing black lipstick but still it gave me lots of makeup practice and I got use to putting it on and not rubbing my eyes, etc.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Lyric

One of my favorite online fashion pundits was recently asked how to start out with makeup. I liked her advice. She suggested taking one thing you like, such as mascara, for instance, and learning to use it until you're comfortable with it. Then experiment and add other things as you desire, but gradually. The most important thing is to know it's far better to underdo makeup than to overdo it.

For we M2F folks, I think the most important thing to start with is looking for a good way to cover the beard shadow. To my tastes, anyway, if you got a beard, obvious makeup looks don't really work. There are a number of products and methods and many are discussed around this forum.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

ashley_thomas

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on October 23, 2014, 06:58:41 PM
Performed correctly it can help you pass. There are great tutorials on YouTube. Here is one of my favorite girls. Her skills are so amazing.

That gal has beautiful skin, it's a shame she wears so much make up. Her routine is not very practical in my view.
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on October 23, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
I went full time before HRT. That is where the confidence I told you about passes you. Now 10 months later on HRT I know it was better for me to socially transition before physically transitioning.

This +1. I did the same and am SOOOOOOO glad I went full time before I started HRT etc.
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: ashley_thomas on November 02, 2014, 04:12:51 PM
That gal has beautiful skin, it's a shame she wears so much make up. Her routine is not very practical in my view.

Why would anyone use foundation that doesn't match their normal skin tone? What she is using isn't even close and it's obvious when she is done cause the skin on her neck is a totally different color. Plus she goes through an insane amount of steps..

I have a makeup routine each morning that takes me less than 10 minutes (now that I have lots of practice) and the foundation I use is very light and smudge proof. Doesn't really feel like I'm wearing anything. Eyeliner/shadow/masc to make my eyes look larger (and makes my green eyes pop) and some lipstick just slightly darker than my natural lip color so I can shape them. All I carry in my purse is lipstick and mirror/powder to kill the nose shine for touch ups. I know when I'm wearing some makeup I feel more confidant about my appearance + I just look better. I'm sure I would still be seen as a woman, but just a more homely example :P
  •  

ashley_thomas

Yeah her foundation color is odd. I have a primer, foundation and powder that match my skin, blush, and then add mascara and very little eye shadow and finish with lip pencil and a light gloss.  Takes about 15 minutes.
  •