Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Why are voices different in the two sexes or genders

Started by anjaq, November 10, 2014, 08:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

Hi.

We have discussed a lot on practical advice how to make a voice that is perceived as male in females with transsexuality more female/feminine. The main changes involve resonance, pitch and prosody (intonation, melody). A lot of emphasis is put by voice trainers on prosody, some on resonance and littel to pitch. Voice surgeries adress mostly pitch and in a indirect way the other parameters as one does not have to watch ppitch anymore.

What I am interested now is how these differences come to be. Clearly pitch is a product of body changes by testosterone/DHT - the vocal chords get longer and thicker. Resonance seems to be at least to a part physiologcal because the larynx is enlarged and positioned differently. But resonance to a degree and prosody almost exclusively differ due to reasons i am not sure about.

A common tips for example is to bring the voice "to the front" "into the mouth", use a head resonance and not a chest resonance, use more melody when speaking and other things similar to that. So how does this difference come by? Do women generally use their voice in a different way, so would any woman be able to to a male and female resonance, prosody etc but choose for some reason at some age to use their voice in a certain way and not the other? Or is it somehow founded in physiology - does the different larynx or vocal fold length influence these parameters as well - something we have to work against constantly?

I wonder about this because there are so many things people here seem to have to learn about how to use their voices and change it, push it, use it differently, that I wonder, if this is because we have to work with a different body or if a lot of it is basically mainly psychological/socially trained because we grew up having to pretend to be someone we are not. I can to a degree recall that I was using my voice in a way that made it sound more male, but not to the degre that I feel I had to and have to unlearn it.

•  

Alexis2107

Quote from: anjaq on November 10, 2014, 08:06:59 AM
Hi.

We have discussed a lot on practical advice how to make a voice that is perceived as male in females with transsexuality more female/feminine. The main changes involve resonance, pitch and prosody (intonation, melody). A lot of emphasis is put by voice trainers on prosody, some on resonance and littel to pitch. Voice surgeries adress mostly pitch and in a indirect way the other parameters as one does not have to watch ppitch anymore.

What I am interested now is how these differences come to be. Clearly pitch is a product of body changes by testosterone/DHT - the vocal chords get longer and thicker. Resonance seems to be at least to a part physiologcal because the larynx is enlarged and positioned differently. But resonance to a degree and prosody almost exclusively differ due to reasons i am not sure about.

A common tips for example is to bring the voice "to the front" "into the mouth", use a head resonance and not a chest resonance, use more melody when speaking and other things similar to that. So how does this difference come by? Do women generally use their voice in a different way, so would any woman be able to to a male and female resonance, prosody etc but choose for some reason at some age to use their voice in a certain way and not the other? Or is it somehow founded in physiology - does the different larynx or vocal fold length influence these parameters as well - something we have to work against constantly?

I wonder about this because there are so many things people here seem to have to learn about how to use their voices and change it, push it, use it differently, that I wonder, if this is because we have to work with a different body or if a lot of it is basically mainly psychological/socially trained because we grew up having to pretend to be someone we are not. I can to a degree recall that I was using my voice in a way that made it sound more male, but not to the degre that I feel I had to and have to unlearn it.

I can see voice being one thing a lot of trans women stress over, but in all honestly, I don't know.  When started HRT, I was advised that hormones won't change my voice but will change inflection over time.  I have known cis women with deeper voices than mine.  I am told a lot my voice is feminine enough already, maybe sometime I make a recording and ask for opinions here.  But for most part, I try to keep focused on other things about transitioning and try to make this little stress bug not so stressful :)
~ Lexi ~

HRT 11/5/14
Full Time woman 3/12/15
  •