Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Seoul (Going to Yeson)

Started by kim27, August 12, 2014, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kim27

Hi, I have an operation booked in November - can't wait  ;D  Anyway, I am looking at flights and accommodation at the moment, and I was wondering which part of Seoul is best to stay in - more for the time between surgery and the follow up appointment - so touristy I suppose.  Also, from what I have seen on the web it seems quite easy to get everywhere in Seoul with the underground - is that the case?  Finally, is it easy to get from the airport into the city?

Thanks for any advice :)

Kim.
Kim x 

Full time: 1 April 2013
HRT: 29 April 2013
VFS: 11 November 2014
  •  

MeganChristine

If you want the more touristy part of the City, I do recommend staying at the north side of the Han River.

The Metro is fantastic, and there is nowhere you can't go with it :D Just make sure you get the city pass and top it up :D

I stayed in Gangnam and that suited me quite perfectly, but I must admit I did miss the more quiet areas which can be found north of the Han River... But nothing more than a metro trip away. :D
  •  

kim27

Quote from: MeganChristine on August 12, 2014, 02:09:47 PM
If you want the more touristy part of the City, I do recommend staying at the north side of the Han River.

The Metro is fantastic, and there is nowhere you can't go with it :D Just make sure you get the city pass and top it up :D

I stayed in Gangnam and that suited me quite perfectly, but I must admit I did miss the more quiet areas which can be found north of the Han River... But nothing more than a metro trip away. :D

That help - thanks for the reply :)  Just saw your thread - definite improvement and i cant wait for the next update x
Kim x 

•  

Jess42

Quote from: kim27 on August 12, 2014, 02:05:47 PM
Hi, I have an operation booked in November - can't wait  ;D  Anyway, I am looking at flights and accommodation at the moment, and I was wondering which part of Seoul is best to stay in - more for the time between surgery and the follow up appointment - so touristy I suppose.  Also, from what I have seen on the web it seems quite easy to get everywhere in Seoul with the underground - is that the case?  Finally, is it easy to get from the airport into the city?

Kim.

When I was in Korea, it was in Buson but I went to Seoul quite a bit. In any major city in Korea taxis were cheap, busses were fairly easy to get from one place to the other and plenty of them and subways will take you anywhere and then catch a taxi from there. Korea has plenty of public transportation that is really affordable. As where to stay in Seoul, sorry can't help you there. Just on the transportation issue.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: kim27 on August 12, 2014, 02:05:47 PM

Kim.

I am not sure about hotels in Seoul. Hotels in Gangnam are expensive, but comfortable. For Gangbuk (north of Han River), most hotels are old, but relatively cheap. You may also find a surprisingly nice hotel in other areas. In any case, hotels are expensive in Seoul like other big cities of the world.

It takes less than 1 hour from the Incheon airport to Seoul station located in the center of Seoul: http://english.arex.or.kr/jsp/eng/main.jsp

Also there are several buses from the airport to the major hotels of Seoul, but the fare is far more expensive than subway (but it is still far less expensive than other big cities around the world.)

Taxi (cab) fare is fairly inexpensive compared with other big cities around the world.

Anyway, you can get most of information on Seoul tour at: http://www.visitseoul.net/en/index.do?_method=main

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

Dash

What's the level of English like in Seoul? Is it difficult to get around if you haven't at least partially studied some Korean? That's my biggest concern apart from the surgery itself. Being able to get around easily during the recovery phase should I go alone.
  •  

nayuki

all the signs are in English from what I remember when I was there but hardly anyone can speak English at least I found.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Dash on August 20, 2014, 12:06:39 AM
What's the level of English like in Seoul? Is it difficult to get around if you haven't at least partially studied some Korean? That's my biggest concern apart from the surgery itself. Being able to get around easily during the recovery phase should I go alone.

Do not expect the levels of English of European countries. However, better than Japan.
If you show your written note in English on paper or smartphone, then most people in Seoul can read it.
For spoken English, only a few people in hotel or information desk will understand.
Young people are more fluent in spoken English than aged people in Seoul.
Thus, first try speaking to a person, and then try writing if they do not understand.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Dash

Thank you both very much. : )
  •  

kim27

Kim x 

•  

barbie

Quote from: kim27 on August 20, 2014, 12:52:15 AM
Thankyou all, very useful :)

As you will not be allowed to speak after the surgery, communication via written note would not be a big deal.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

lala_tgirl

Kim,

I am also booked in November...pre op 25th, op on 26th!
  •  

kim27

Quote from: lala_tgirl on August 21, 2014, 11:53:30 PM
Kim,

I am also booked in November...pre op 25th, op on 26th!

Bet you can't wait too :)  I should be back in the UK by then recovering in silence lol xx
Kim x 

•  

kim27

Well had my voice op 2 days ago - all went well. There are 2 things that I am struggling getting used to for now. 1 is the not talking - harder than I thought it would be. 2 is the camera up the nose lol - twice so far and I presume once more on my follow up appointment next week [emoji40][emoji40][emoji40]
Kim x 

•  

lala_tgirl

Congrats Kim!! hope you have a speedy recovery.  Hang in there, you will have a great result just like other girls.  I will have my surgery in 2 weeks.  A little nervous..cross finger..  How are you manage not to cough? thats something i worry most..
  •  

kim27

Hope all goes well for you too. Every time I want to cough, just take a drink of water - seems to help [emoji4]
Kim x 

•  

barbie

Quote from: kim27 on November 13, 2014, 06:37:08 PM
Hope all goes well for you too. Every time I want to cough, just take a drink of water - seems to help [emoji4]

It suddenly became cold here. Just returning from Nagasaki, Japan, I felt it is like winter. I heard that the first snow fell in Seoul.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •