Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Why does it seem like doctors refuse to run tests?

Started by NightshadeVixen, November 11, 2014, 09:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightshadeVixen

I've only recently serious started to suspect that I might be intersex. It would answer a lot about me but really the big thing is the periods I'm getting. They're induced by progesterone and it's taken me a while to piece it all together but yea I'm getting period symptoms. I remember before with my first doctor my mom wanted me to get tested but my doctor then refused saying it wouldn't matter. I kinda feel like that would be important to know but it wasn't like I thought I might be intersex back then. I simply did it to please my mom.

Fast forward to when I start progesterone and yea now I'm getting a period that is physical. I thought it might just be my body getting tricked so I asked if anyone else had similar side effects. Now after that threat it has me thinking I could very well be. I had read a bit on intersex stuff and knew about some of the issues they face but I didn't really ever go in depth and research it. I've done my research now and it fits me rather well and I brought up the period issue with my doctor but all she did was offer me meds to reduce cramping. I turned them down and later called back asking for an ultrasound. She refused saying that unless it was a hernia or a mass she can't get insurance to pay. I was offered the cramping meds again and refused pursuing imaging. I wanted freaking answers not to cover it up. Pretty much she refused to even try and get my insurance to cover it and wouldn't let me pay myself. I called another doctors office which charged 150 for it but I had to have my PC in that office they had to put in a request. Tried an imaging center but that was 600 and while they offered payment plans I need half up front. I have hormonal labs in the works but those aren't baseline so they aren't gonna be much help.

What has me ticked is that I can't seem to get tested unless I pay an insane price. I'm on disability so I can't do that without going hungry. I'm thinking ER but it seems like a huge waste and idk if they would do an ultrasound or MRI. I just want answers but all I get offered is band-aids. I don't mind the periods that much really. They kinda suck but they aren't something I can't deal with. I need to know for more reasons then just an explanation too. If I am what does it mean for surgery later on? How developed am I? Are there any health concerns I need to know about? Why is it so hard to just get one stupid test? I've barely slept over the last week due to all this damn stress. Maybe I should give up idk. It'll take me till half way into next month to get a new doctor and maybe they test me. I'm seriously starting to hate the medical community. This kinda thing has happened to me before and overall I've had a bad experience with the medical community which is why I don't go to the doctors unless there's something wrong and I tend to look for answers online before the visit. I'm feeling very upset and pissed so I might call them again today. Could be the lack of sleep idk. This was my third night in a row where I couldn't really fall asleep and I'm having a hard time focusing.

Edit: So it turns out 2 ciswomen I've been talking to/venting my current issues have been snickering a lot. My emotions are currently out of whack and I don't have much control over them. I almost puked for no reason at all and my sleep is screwed up. Well one finally pointed out it sounds like I'm currently going through PMS. I'm not due to start progesterone for another 10 days and I've kept up on my hormones. I'm seriously entering another period within 2 weeks of my last one... This one is happening naturally it seems though. Should I just go to the damn ER now and tell this to them so maybe I can figure out what the hell is going on? At the very least describe my issues and the feelings I'm getting. My doctors useless. I'm seriously starting to get desperate for an answer.
  •  

Indoctrinated

Unfortunately I feel I'm unable to give you proper advice... Because I'm dealing with the same very issues you describe...

I too hate doctors. Seems like they prefer to ignore IS people like we don't even exist...  After studying the subject for 1 year I'm quite sure I have some sort of 45,x or 46,xx mosaicism. Probably your case as well... I'll keep trying until I get all proper tests done, including karyotype. Suggest you keep trying as well...

Good luck!
"Freedom, I must say,
Exists within unconditioned minds"

Dead Can Dance - Indoctrination (A Design for Living)
  •  

Allyda

I never understood why Doc's are reluctant to test myself. In my case the only good thing my adopted father did (and he didn't know he was doing me a favor) was use his bullheadedness to insist to have me tested because he wanted to know why I was built and acted so girly. So that is after a 2nd and 3rd opinion cause he didn't get the answers he wanted, I knew solidly what my physicality was, and why my genitalia is so different from both males and females at the age of 9. But if it wasn't for his pushy bullheadedness, they would have never tested me. And I'd have had to push for the tests myself after coming of age and getting out on my own.

The only advice I can give here is that if you suspect your intersex, is to push for the tests you need to have to find out. A Karyotype is one but there are a few others. I just don't remember them offhand.

Best of luck to you hun! :icon_bunch:
Ally :icon_flower:
Allyda
Full Time August 2009
HRT Dec 27 2013
VFS [ ? ]
FFS [ ? ]
SRS Spring 2015

•