Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Best way to build wardrobe

Started by ssneha23, November 17, 2014, 12:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssneha23

Hey everyone. Any suggestions on an economical and best way to build your wardrobe. I am a 28 year old girl from India..
  •  

Nicole

Many ways, but buy discounted.

Start with the basics, tank tops, jeans etc.

get an Little black dress, buy a few flat shoes and you'll be on your way
Yes! I'm single
And you'll have to be pretty f'ing amazing to change that
  •  

ImagineKate

Table saw, plywood, hammer and nails?  ;D

Couldn't resist...

Anyway, are there thrift stores where you are? In the US we have stores that sell gently used clothing for charity.

I also scout the clearance racks at department stores and big box stores like Kohl's, Wal-Mart and Target. I can find stuff going just out of season pretty cheap.

The supermarket sells underwear, tights and leggings, as well as flats to go. They are cheap and on sale, and often have coupons. Bras I buy from the big box stores or amazon. I can usually find them for less than $10, often less than $5.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: ssneha23 on November 17, 2014, 12:50:43 AM
Hey everyone. Any suggestions on an economical and best way to build your wardrobe. I am a 28 year old girl from India..

It's a bit difficult to help you without knowing for sure where you are. "From India" sounds a bit like you are in a different country now, but if you are in India, I suppose only a fellow Indian could advise you. These days many such wardrobe expanders start by shopping online, which makes it easier to sift though it all, but sizing and quality can be very uncertain. Second hand stores can be good sources if you are on a budget. I've bought many interesting clothing items on eBay.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

JoanneB

My favorite shopping grounds are thrift / charity shops. The prices tend to be low, the selection varies greatly. You can also experiment with different looks at low cost. You just need to take a reasonable look over for defects. Most times everything is OK.

For casual wear though, it sometimes is better to check out local discount department stores. Often the sale prices (end of season or post) are the same as a thrift store.

With the money you save, you don't feel as guilty buying that very occasional $60 dress
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Kamiki

For me, it began with thrift store shopping.

Over time I realized that the standard department store look was not for me and began experimenting. But it all began with conservative choices from thrift stores to build confidence.

After years of building said wardrobe and said confidence I am now able to wear neo-Victoriana everywhere I go. But I still have some fond memories of those early simple outfits and thrift store shopping.

Kami

•  

traci_k

My favorites are thrift stores. You can often even find new, never worn clothing for great prices.

Hugs,
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

Dalibar

I'm currently having a problem building a wardrobe, too. It is really frustrating because no mens clothes fit me and the boys clothes are so short its not even funny. Plus, clothes are just expensive in general, even at thrift stores. I love thrift stores and its always fun to find outfits (shhh I like shopping sometimes...) but you can't get a good shirt for less than $8 anymore and they are used! I can get new ones at walmart for the same price. It is usually such a hit or miss lately at thriftstores I don't even bother anymore. Half the time even if I do find something I like that I can afford I don't get it because it has a weird 'vibe' to it.

You can try craigslist, at least in my area, people are always offering free clothing. Most of the time it's women's or childrens.

I also recently discovered this site called Aliexpress and they sell super cheap clothing. I just ordered two binders, leg warmers, gloves, and two shirts for about $25 (free shipping from all the sellers). I made sure to see the seller and item ratings before I placed an order and if it goes well I'll get some more stuff because I have literally been wearing the same two pants and two shirts for months :I
"He viewed his own mentality as grotesque but useful, like a chair made of antlers. There was nothing he could do about it."
  •  

shanky

Quote from: ssneha23 on November 17, 2014, 12:50:43 AM

Hi, I am Shanky ( from India ). I would suggest buying from Myntra's website. I buy my clothing from there, which is at pretty reasonable price. Affordable, Variety and Quality. Hope i dont sound like i'm advertising..............
:D
  •  

ssneha23

Quote from: shanky on November 21, 2014, 12:41:55 PM

Hi, I am Shanky ( from India ). I would suggest buying from Myntra's website. I buy my clothing from there, which is at pretty reasonable price. Affordable, Variety and Quality. Hope i dont sound like i'm advertising..............
Hi Shanky that's what I am doing .
  •  

Lostkitten

You can quite easily cut male t-shirts into a female model t-shirt. That is what I did and suddenly my male closet almost completely swapped to female :D!
:D Want to see me ramble, talk about experiences or explaining about gender dysphoria? :D
http://thedifferentperspectives3000.blogspot.nl/
  •  

jojoglowe

+1 Thrift stores.

This might sound odd/mean but beware of some online sites based out of asia, the sizes run SUPER SMALL! I've stopped ordering from sites like this. This one pair of leggings, I swear, were like 22" long. It was a one size fits most. I think it would hardly fit most 10 year old girls in my neck of the woods.

Another thing... When I started HRT, I could fit a 6, about a year in I could fit an 8. At 2 years, the smallest size I can fit into is a 10. You might want to give yourself room to grow as there's no worse feeling than having to get rid of pants because your booty is too big. (Well, in a way it's kinda awesome.... but $$$)

One last thing. Some of your girlfriends might trade clothes with you. Some folks I know do clothes swaps pretty regularly.
o---o---o---o---o---o---peaceloveunderstanding---o---o---o---o---o---o

•  

ssneha23

Quote from: jojoglowe on November 29, 2014, 01:03:56 PM
+1 Thrift stores.

This might sound odd/mean but beware of some online sites based out of asia, the sizes run SUPER SMALL! I've stopped ordering from sites like this. This one pair of leggings, I swear, were like 22" long. It was a one size fits most. I think it would hardly fit most 10 year old girls in my neck of the woods.

Another thing... When I started HRT, I could fit a 6, about a year in I could fit an 8. At 2 years, the smallest size I can fit into is a 10. You might want to give yourself room to grow as there's no worse feeling than having to get rid of pants because your booty is too big. (Well, in a way it's kinda awesome.... but $$$)

One last thing. Some of your girlfriends might trade clothes with you. Some folks I know do clothes swaps pretty regularly.
I really liked the last idea. I am going to ask around. Thanks Jojo [emoji5]
  •