Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An interesting conundrum: Are we harming the LGBT movement?

Started by androgynouspainter26, January 02, 2015, 01:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elsa Delyth

Quote from: Mariah2014 on January 04, 2015, 11:08:00 PM
We are not trans because of evolutionary reasons. Whether it is biological, hormonal, environmental or some combination of those is hard to say. It is safe to say it can differ for many of us as why we are the way we are, but we didn't evolve into be trans. Some may have realized earlier or later than others, but we didn't evolve to become trans. For what ever reason are mind and bodies are the way we are  and respond hormones the particular way we do.
Mariah

I only think that this subject is interesting, but irrelevant to politics, or our validation, and right to self-determination and freedom.
"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Emma Goldman.
  •  

Elsa Delyth

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on January 04, 2015, 11:07:21 PM
Nonsense, Asami!  I welcome the discourse-you seem like one of the rare people in the world with a well-formed opinion on this, and it's good to discuss this with someone on an intelectual level.

I don't think it's an absolute priory expectation of our morphologies-just a vague guideline for what parts to expect where.  We are innately predisposed to recognize faces, and even to find harmony in the proportions of the human boy (for example, hellenic architecture)  Consider the phantom limb phenomenon...remove someone's leg, and they are going to be convinced that it is still there, because their brain, both through biology and adaptive learning expects a leg to be there.  An even stranger thing happens when the opposite happens; I'm under the impression that for some ridiculous reason, discussing BIID, but you understand where I'm going.  I think this must be the result of a brain that has been femimisned in vitro and therefore expects a female anatomy.  Anything relating to feminine behavior from the person is just a symptom.   

It doesn't fully make sense to me even now, but I simply cannot come up with any other explanation for why I hate my genetalia, and why I hated them before I had any idea what part was considered "normal" for boys and for girls.  What is your theory on the matter?

What's your thought on this?

And Stephaniec, I must disagree---I don't believe dysphoria can suddenly become activated.  It's simply something that some people are able to repress for longer than others.

I'm not suggesting a blank slate, more of a vague slate. The plasticity of the brain is interesting, especially in relation to the body as a whole. If half of your brain just died right now, you wouldn't even notice. You'd lose the sight and hearing, and mobility of one side of your body, plus a layer of cross-lateral redundant processing, but wouldn't even notice. If however you lost an eye, or had organ failures, you'd notice, because the corresponding areas of the brain would be expecting to process information that it isn't receiving.

The plasticity of the brain explains phantom limbs, when you lose a limb, the area of your brain that controls the other limb will begin to recruit the perfectly functional area of brain for the other limb, which causes a morphing of the two, kind of like synesthesia. The disorder is also often accompanied by pain, because if I were to squeeze my hand until my nails started to cut me, then a feedback loop would prevent me from applying much more pressure -- but people with phantom limbs often have this sensation, but can't stop it. So they designed a little mirror box that flips the appearance of your chirality, so that unclasping that hand fools you into believing that the you have unclasped the missing hand, stopping the pain.

Lacan a psychotherapist identified the development of our body images with what he calls the "mirror" phase, in which we are constantly reinforced that the image we see in reflections is ourselves -- and self-awareness tests are seeing if animals can identify themselves in a mirror. If their body images were innate, they ought to be able to do that, and it not be an indication of a posteriori self-knowledge.   
  •  

androgynouspainter26

Fair enough; you leave me with more questions than answers though!  What's your explanation for body dysphoria?
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Elsa Delyth

Also, androgynouspainter26, I'm not ignoring your other points, I just can't substantially account for them. Brain damage, would be my guess, but I dunno...
  •  

Elsa Delyth

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on January 04, 2015, 11:36:42 PM
Fair enough; you leave me with more questions than answers though!  What's your explanation for body dysphoria?

Because who we want to be, and the images we identify as ourselves in reflections is different. We emulate, learn and construct a character, that we grow into, and eventually assume in order to function in the group, and survive in the world. They are a composite of a million different examples, and unique and original in their construction to us all.

Because most, or all our inspiration involves things we fear we cannot acquire, or will never be able to accomplish, we despair.
  •  

androgynouspainter26

But if it's all the result of a charichter we've created, does that justify surgical alteration of the body?  Does it even justify transitioning?  I do sometimes think your theory must be right, but it simply fails to account for some of my experiences.  Hmmm...still very interesting though.
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Elsa Delyth

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on January 04, 2015, 11:46:54 PM
But if it's all the result of a charichter we've created, does that justify surgical alteration of the body?  Does it even justify transitioning?  I do sometimes think your theory must be right, but it simply fails to account for some of my experiences.  Hmmm...still very interesting though.

Why not? Altering our body is what organisms do, they constantly change, and absorb the lifestyles, dispositions, and behaviors of their guardians and peers, and discard the vestiges of the past.

I'm not suggesting that the archetypes that we create, and eventually assume is psychological, or random -- it is deeply primal, the very core of learning. Also, as I tried to suggest, we do have biological affinities which make those we take from candidates for the development of our characters. We have to be enough like them, that we actually can do the things they do, or despair would be unavoidable.
  •  

Elsa Delyth

•  

androgynouspainter26

But then, how do we draw the line between self mutilation and medically necessary surgeries?  So many questions!  At any rate, it's getting too late for me to keep chatting and a reckon everyone is sick of getting notifications...but hey, feel free to PM me anytime.  I'm really enjoying hte discussion.
  •  

Elsa Delyth

They aren't mutually exclusive, and are often the same things, just different connotatively charged words. :D

Yeah, thanks for the discussion. You have a great night. :)
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: ThePhoenix on January 04, 2015, 08:18:46 PM
I recognize that some feel that being trans* is a defect.  I'm not sure it is possible to definitively answer whether it is or not, but obviously I do not feel defective. :)

Being trans is not a defect. Our development process in the womb was defective in that it causes transness. We then have to live with the consequences of that. Is a coincidence that a lot of trans people had mothers who took endocrine disruptors like DES?

Quote from: ThePhoenix on January 04, 2015, 08:18:46 PMReally?  Our development does that? 

Indirectly - yes.

Quote from: ThePhoenix on January 04, 2015, 08:18:46 PMDon't you think the severe, pervasive, extreme levels of discrimination, violence, and stigma that we face might have something to do with the suicide rates

I am sure that they make the situation worse, but if we were not trans then we would not face these levels of discrimination any more than the rest of the general cis-population. Having said that, it can depend on the population that one is embedded in. I look at the bigotry of organised religion in the US and I simply do not see that over here on the other side of the Atlantic. If religious leaders over here starting telling people to kill gays for Xmas, they would go to jail. That helps make a better general atmosphere.
  •