Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What is (or was) your experience of Gender Dysphoria like?

Started by Rya, December 24, 2014, 06:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylo

Well, the nature of just what is and isn't my "authentic self" has changed a lot over the years. In the past I thought it was immutable; now I know it isn't... and I also know it isn't what other people say it is, but what I say it is that is most important to my existence.

I realized that how I felt about myself was paramount to maintaining a healthy mind so as not to fall into an extremely unhealthy pit or rut of despair. My 'authentic self' certainly isn't a woman, I know that now. Far too much evidence - despite the shape of the  body - that this is the case. Shape means nothing. What feels right and what is my natural inclinations that cause me relax when they are expressed is everything. As a "woman" I had knots in my shoulders from how nerve wracking and grating that existence was. As a man, I feel an absence of discomfort and anxiety. This isn't a conscious choice, just a bodily fact. And I'll go with that over anything anyone else says about what I "am".

So what does the dysphoria feel like...? It was kind of like... sharing a cell with someone I didn't get along with at first. You go through the motions of initial dislike, then deep hatred, then finally you try your best to simply ignore the person and live your life, but ofc they can never go away. They will always be there to stare at you in the mirror, remind you when you see a body like your own on TV, and they'll be there whenever anyone reminds you how wonderful you should be feeling about your birth gender because they assume you like it and identify with it. The very best you can do is turn away and try not to look at them. I remember my days as a teenager abjectly reviling myself. I would sit up asking why the hell I had to be born this way because I knew it was preventing me from having a normal life, from enjoying and experiencing many of the things others can enjoy without effort. So it feels like hate, it feels like suppression, it feels like being denied a proper life, and it feels like bitterness because of it. Ultimately it all cumulatively builds up to the usual things like anxiety, social anxiety, depression, despair. It's a complicated set of interlocking emotions not easily put into words, but it absolutely feels like a chain hooked into your back keeping you from moving forward, in most directions... or perhaps like being outside in the cold looking in at other people enjoying things you never can and never will.

I felt at some points like perhaps I was defying my reality, but then I learned that reality is as much in the mind as outside of it. Especially when it comes to happiness. What I do to my body is nobody else's business, nobody else has a stake in it, so what is there to lose?

But if you only feel mildly dysphoric about your gender, you'll be like some people I know who seem to fall more in the middle of the spectrum and are less tormented by not being one gender or the other. The absolutism of my early years was a big problem and now I know it was all for nothing, really... most of the time you're free to be whoever you want to be and as long as you don't put yourself in trouble's way, I doubt any "transgender police" are going to find you. At least not if society remains the way it is here. It would have to be some Nazi Germany-esque social cleansing scenario that would have me worrying; what people may say or think doesn't worry me, only what they may do. And most of the time they don't do much, or cannot do much to hurt you, even if they disapprove. Sticks and stones, right? I only care about the sticks and the stones, and keeping out of dangerous situations. Other than that, nobody bothers me about my trans status.

The idea of being a man never appealed to me especially. It still doesn't especially. It's already who I am inside, there's no allure, nothing surprising about it. I don't feel like a transitional person - I've always been that person, with a mis-formed body.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

vanderpn

Quote from: Eva Marie on December 26, 2014, 02:03:01 PM
My dysphoria manifested differently than what others have described here, and because of that (plus a lack of access to information) it took me until I was about 43 to figure out where the malaise was coming from.

The feelings I was having were very much like depression - I was not able to enjoy anything, I had no hope, everything was bland and blah, my life had no other color than gray, I had no emotions, and I hated social situations and avoided them like the plague. I let no one get close to me, because if they knew me they would not like me. I was just going through the emotions each day to make it through life with no plans or goals, and I was drowning myself in alcohol every night to escape these feelings. I had nothing to say about anything.

I was alive but was not living.

Within a month of going on a transitioning dose of HRT it was like a light switch flipped on in my brain. Suddenly the world was a very interesting place, with vivid colors everywhere. I had emotions; I enjoyed social situations; I had hope and the ability to look past the negativity around me and see the good things in people and in life. I made lots of new friends, and I love being social - you can't shut me up!  :laugh: I am happy for the first time in my life.

Your story is very interesting. I have been depressed on-and-off for nearly half my life -- intriguingly enough, since around the time of puberty. For me, mental/developmental differences certainly played a role, but looking back, I can see that gender probably has too.

Although I generally struggle to relate to people, I've especially had a hard time fitting in with women. They have always felt foreign to me. For a long time, I always thought I was just bad at making friends, but I can see now how it may have been more about how I felt that I didn't belong among them because I'm not one of them.

I'm pre-everything, so I can't comment on how physically transitioning might help ease that dysphoria. And I don't think I'll ever be extroverted. But I can say that when I'm open with myself about who I am, I feel more comfortable talking, such as with the trans-positive therapist I've recently started seeing, or here on Susan's.
  •