Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What gender do you sound like when you write/type?

Started by Illuminess, December 26, 2014, 08:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie Rose

Quote from: Elsa Delyth on January 03, 2015, 04:19:18 AM
Probably the European because I'm Canadian, and we spell words like the British, and not Americans. 

I'm also Canadian, so funny that we both got that but also interesting it came up when we got weak male status. :-\
  •  

Elsa Delyth

I don't know how this thing works, putting in excerpts from Judith Butler, and Emma Goldman and they get male. Nietzsche gets higher male than I thought too, in an excerpt from twilight of the idols. I doubt swears have much to do with it, I put in a short story I wrote that had tons of swears and still got about 50/50, slightly weak male though.

I assumed that it had a lot to do with punctuation, run-on sentences, and grammatical indicators of emotion... but I dunno. It should really explain the methodology.
"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Emma Goldman.
  •  

Leyn

cant say i have ever really been able to tell gender based on one persons writing,
then again i hope people would guess female, if they were to read anything i have written

also you can actually view the source code for the gender guesser, which basically searches for a small list of key words and assigns them a number either positive or negative(positive = male, negative = female)
  •  

Del

Since I am not transgender I tried the gender guesser just to see what it would say. I don't really put much stock into these computer analyzing things but figured I'd see how accurate it is.

When I quote scripture it analyses male. It did say using other people's quotes would show the gender of the one whom you quote.

When I type how I normally write it analyses female.

I guess it got that wrong.
But, it was fun.

Being a man of few words, the hardest part was trying to think of something 300 words long to write about.

May all have a blessed day.
  •  

gennee

When I write short stories I write from  feminine perspective. It's kind of weird having been brought up as male. Perhaps it's my female mind.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Jake25

If you feel like it read through my posts on my profile and tell me what you think. I don't think personality and the way someone communicates always has to do with the gender they/their brain is. I think it can, but doesn't have to.
  •  

Jake25

Quote from: suzifrommd on December 27, 2014, 09:06:00 AM
Have you tried http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php?

This is interesting, but I wonder if it isn't just random. I copied and pasted some of my longer posts into the box and it usually read that I was a "weak male" or "weak female" and I got both male and female from time to time. The device also thinks I'm European. I should type 300 words more often.
  •  

Marly

Quote from: suzifrommd on December 27, 2014, 09:06:00 AM
Have you tried http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php?

just out of curiosity I gave it a try. They admit the reliability is weak. but I got:
Genre: Informal
  Female = 911
  Male   = 472
  Difference = -439; 34.12%
  Verdict: FEMALE
  •  

Dianne H

I'm not sure what this genre stuff means by informal and formal. I guess I would blog male but formally write female.
Anyway, it was fun.

Genre: Informal
  Female = 279
  Male   = 803
  Difference = 524; 74.21%
  Verdict: MALE

Genre: Formal
  Female = 638
  Male   = 415
  Difference = -223; 39.41%
  Verdict: FEMALE
Christian
US Army vet
  •  

MeTony

Before I got out of the closet people online never believed I was AFAB. I have no clue of what makes one male or female online.

I had female characters on wow. They still were convinced I was fooling them when I said I'm female. Well actually I was, but I was in denial.

I will try that test.

Tony
  •  

MeTony

Ok. I'm male.

I wrote about the differance between men an women. Haha

Tony
  •  

Roll

QuoteGenre: Formal
  Female = 2479
  Male   = 3476
  Difference = 997; 58.37%
  Verdict: Weak MALE

Weak emphasis could indicate European.

I stuck a random school paper in. I can't stop laughing at the last line.

Doing a few more, looks like my formal writing comes in around 60% male.

Ok, so I read some of the paper that this is based on... It's sort of complete nonsense. The big determinant seems to be usage of certain pronouns and qualifiers. But... the qualifiers are usually added in to inflate word count for stuff like school papers. And in formal writing, you are supposed to explicitly avoid second person and vague pronouns. Essentially, if I wanted to get an A on an assignment, as per this paper's criteria, I wouldn't be able to write in a female style. That seems... wrong.

Edit again: I also toss some random blog posts by women, and all are coming up male. Ree Drummond comes up like 90% male. So that's funny.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Dianne H

They are pretty lame games. I played with it some more using pieces of stories I have written and got a different answer each time. It seems whatever they use to judge, it isn't right.
Christian
US Army vet
  •  

Jessica

I don't put much stock in any of those tests, even though I always score female.
As far as speaking and writing style, I think of myself as a minimalist.  Women in general have more involved, more detailed conversations.  Could I or should I try to change that so it would help in passing.  I think not.  It's who I am, and besides not many like a long read.  Unless it's a great book.
Hugs, Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Kylo

Ah, I remember the Gender Guesser. It's been up for some time and I tried it several years ago.

A sample of 300 words of relatively formal but personal writing from me gets "weak MALE", and I think that's because of the formal language; it typically includes lots of specifiers and softeners like "I", "I think", "I feel" I believe this is due to", "perhaps it is", etc. which I know this thing identifies as more "female" language.

300 words from my last essay submitted to the Open University gets "MALE" and is formal language but without the excessive personal specifiers...

And 300 words of informal babbling from me with friends on Slack gets "MALE".

This is quite interesting because I am sure in the past at one point I scored female on this thing quite consistently.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •