Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Does anyone here like Middle Eastern and North African cooking?

Started by rachel89, November 15, 2014, 11:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel89

Does anyone here like Middle Eastern and North African cooking?

•  

big kim

I'm a fan,not as much a fan as I am of Indian and Chinese food but what I've eaten has been very nice.The last time I made veggie lamb in a smoked lemon and paprika sauce with chopped tomatoes, red peppers,green beans,butter beans,chick peas,courgette and aubergine and had it with cous cous.
  •  

Madison Bennett

I have a Middle Eastern/North African cookbook at home.  Sadly, I very seldom cook anything in it.  It's fun to read though!
  •  

PinkCloud

Yes. I work a lot with chickpeas, I love them. They are my favorite ingredient. You can use them for anything, even as egg replacement in vegan recipes. My favorite spice is cumin.
  •  

Jill F

I love middle east feasts.  I have posted several of my recipes here.
  •  

ImagineKate

I love middle eastern cooking. Give me some falafel any day.

I had a friend and coworker who is Persian (she hates the term "Iranian"). Really cute cis girl, but she could cook real well. She brought some stews to work and I had a taste. It was amazing.

I used to go to an Afghan place in the city, around 50th street. The food was pretty dry (as expected) but it was pretty good. They had posters on the wall showing a man riding a camel at speed and the bottom of it saying, "FREE AFGHANISTAN." The owners were really friendly. I was a regular there at one time.

I want to try some middle eastern recipes. I should go to one of those groceries. The closest I've been to actual middle eastern cooking is cooking goat curry or biryani (goat, lamb, chicken or veg). Not Caribbean style curry, but Paki style. Eat that with some of the green chili peppers, some yogurt and lettuce and onions and it's GOOD stuff.

I love Biryani. I use the Shan Masala and it comes out pretty good. Jill, we really need to meet up and you need to have some!
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 06, 2015, 12:52:35 PM
I love middle eastern cooking. Give me some falafel any day.

I had a friend and coworker who is Persian (she hates the term "Iranian"). Really cute cis girl, but she could cook real well. She brought some stews to work and I had a taste. It was amazing.

I used to go to an Afghan place in the city, around 50th street. The food was pretty dry (as expected) but it was pretty good. They had posters on the wall showing a man riding a camel at speed and the bottom of it saying, "FREE AFGHANISTAN." The owners were really friendly. I was a regular there at one time.

I want to try some middle eastern recipes. I should go to one of those groceries. The closest I've been to actual middle eastern cooking is cooking goat curry or biryani (goat, lamb, chicken or veg). Not Caribbean style curry, but Paki style. Eat that with some of the green chili peppers, some yogurt and lettuce and onions and it's GOOD stuff.

I love Biryani. I use the Shan Masala and it comes out pretty good. Jill, we really need to meet up and you need to have some!

Sounds awesome!  This Sunday I plan to make Chicken Korma.  The origin of the recipe is dubious, but variations of it can be found from Turkey to India.  I have heard Persians claim it as theirs and have read that the versions you tend to get at Indian restaurants probably originated in Pakistan.  I like to toast the cashews lightly and cook them in the curry for a long time over low heat until they soften up quite a bit.
  •  

ImagineKate

•  

Jill F

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 06, 2015, 03:32:35 PM
I bet it originated in Great Britain, lol
The one in Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook certainly did.  That's OK, the one we make is a variation on that, so I guess it originated in Los Angeles.
  •  

big kim

Few Brits can handle a red hot curry so korma was invented for them.I no longer have to prove how tough (or stupid I am) by eating the hottest of curries but most British people do(especially young men)
  •  

ImagineKate

Hot curry not a problem here. I sauce my food with scorpion peppers daily.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 06, 2015, 03:48:09 PM
Hot curry not a problem here. I sauce my food with scorpion peppers daily.
You ARE brave!  I do like a nice hot Vindaloo now and again.
  •  

big kim

The trouble with vindaloo is it's hotter coming out than going in
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: big kim on January 06, 2015, 05:44:07 PM

I'm used to eating a lot of Mexican food, so I think my system has adjusted to hot/spicy.   I put habanero in my guacamole.  >:-)
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: Jill F on January 06, 2015, 03:58:06 PM
You ARE brave!  I do like a nice hot Vindaloo now and again.
Not necessarily. I've been eating scotch bonnet, habanero and bird pepper for as long as I remember. I kind of grew up with it. :)
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: big kim on January 06, 2015, 05:44:07 PM

I like the kick going down but I agree it can be bad coming out. I've also made it myself, it's good.
  •