News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I need to talk to my crush!

Started by emilybomb, December 26, 2014, 03:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilybomb

Hey everyone!

I'm 30 years old and began transitioning in small ways maybe a couple years ago, now much more solidly defined in my preferred gender of female, and pining and saving away for GCS. I consider myself to be a straight MTF. My starting point was straight male but with zero sex or relationship experience, for trans-related reasons. My sexuality sort of did the flip flop thing (oversimplification) from liking women, to liking men instead. Actually, it took some time to fully figure out my latent sexuality, but I think I have reached a point where I am as sure as I'm going to be, less any real experimentation. Since the beginning I have accepted this as a possible outcome of hax0ring my endocrine system and my self-image, and decided, "I think I am okay with this." And so it is. I am pretty damned sure of it.

God, that is seriously a good and complex discussion by its own merit, but that's not what I came here to write about. Anyways...

I work at a public university. My job requires me to interact with students, staff, and faculty, all. It's a uniquely diverse ecosystem. Plenty of tall-dark-and-handsome-with-an-accent, a stimulating playground of fantasy to a girl's awakening interests. A fantasy for a  girl like me. The competition looks tough from miniature Asian girls and porcelain faces. Le sigh.

No, really. Allow me to generalize. The most dazzling hidden gems are tucked out of sight in filthy grad student offices that smell like curry. They come in a nerdy, socially awkward package most of the time. But I can sense they're genuine, passionate, intelligent, and driven. Did I mention tall, with accents?

Earlier on in my transition, there was one grad student who I helped out a few times, as per my job. I'll call him Alex because his name is Alex. We spent maybe a good couple hours together between his office and mine over the course of a few days while I nursed his computer back to health. He seems really sweet and nice. And me, I was still in the middle of the "Awkward Stage." Still figuring out myself, my style, my sexuality, my name, voice, makeup, hair, hormones, (lack of) boobs, how to act around boys, etc, etc. Despite all this, he still seemed interested in me, in the pathetic mess of incompleteness that I had created and was. In fact, he asked me out once. Being unsure of myself at the time, I looked around at my co-workers who were within ear shot, then nervously giggled over his cleverly interjected date invitation. That was the moment I began to realize my flipping sexuality. But I wasn't ready for something like being asked out by a guy, and I knew it.

In retrospect, despite his cleverness and confidence, I have to think he doesn't do this very often. First of all, why the hell did he ask me out in the middle of my department's office at my place of employment? That seems like an obvious no-no. I'm not angry at him for it, but rather with myself because I didn't have the grace to respond meaningfully. Now he probably hates me because he mustered up the courage to say something like that and all I did was laugh. Poor guy. What an awful person I am. He hates me. Le sigh.

Most of a year later I am still incomplete in many ways. I've got my presentation figured out pretty well after lots of adjusting the levels. Still no boobs to speak of, but my otherwise girlish figure has gotten a lot more girlish. I pass really well on sight. To strangers, I am gendered as miss, young lady, seƱorita (my favorite) etc. basically always, except that my voice doesn't pass well and so later on after they're comfortable around me they always flip to the dissonant "he" and "sir," (ugh) "dude" and "bud" (UGH!) even though I have not given them any reason to think that I do not wish to be referred to in the feminine. The social stuff is a lot harder for me. I am thoroughly misunderstood by everyone in my life because on philosophical grounds I refuse to do the "coming out" thing and instead choose not to talk about why I suddenly switched genders without warning. I don't have any girlfriends at all because they don't think I'm really a girl, I guess. Girls are usually nice to me, but for example, I've never gone shopping with another girl. I don't know what that's like. I don't have many positive channels to pick up on how girls talk or behave or any other useful transitional stuff that might rub of on me. Therefore I fail at the social stuff.

However, I feel complete enough on some new and softer ways. Ways that make me ready for boys. Importantly, that I liked them. Also that I am confident enough in who I am and who I like to finally explore this in a relationship.

Back to Alex.  Our offices are not so far away. My work drags me through his building and by his door every day. It always brightens my day to bump into him. We hardly ever bump into each other though. :( I don't know if he's been avoiding me, or it's just busy, or what. I did see him maybe last week once before he went in his office and closed the door. I said hello, and asked how his computer was doing---lame, I know. That was all. It happened too fast for any of my flirty instincts to kick in, so I went away disappointed with the situation and determined to try to do something about it. Part of me wants to think he would still be interested in me even after the awkward-ass experience we had earlier this year. Is that unreasonable? Because I'm not really sure. Another part of me says that somehow he must not have clocked me before he asked me out. What would a nice guy like him see in some halfbaked queer like me, anyway? He must hate me. He hates me because I'm trans. He hates me because I'm mean. He hates me because I am.

Alex is my first crush. He's special. I want to cook him dinner and have his babies. I do want to talk to him and see if the situation can be salvaged, but I really do not have a clear idea about what to do. Given my lack of experience, anything I do would probably seem juvenile. Maybe this whole talk is even juvenile. Any "talking to your crush advice" I can find online is juvenile. The action I choose to take needs to take  our setting into account. That is to say, this is not high school, though I would give anything to relive my gone youth as the correct gender. I can't just walk up and say "I like you" or pass him a "do you like me? [ ] yes [ ] no" note. No, this is my workplace, and his graduate school. Is there a way I can handle this with appropriate maturity and professional posturing? What if this part of me can never see the light of day because it was never given a proper chance to grow up? Will I wind up as a knitting old lonely granny? Will I ever find someone?

I really wish I could have just gushed out my goopy crush story but  there's to much stuff going on inside me and it makes this whole thing less fun and indulgent than it should feel. Sorry about that but thanks for reading.
  •  

sneakersjay

First question: are staff allowed to date students, grad or not?  If not, well, there's your answer. Or is it OK if the student is not YOUR student (ie you're not his professor)?

I would just stop by and say hello.  Nothing more than that. Or see if he wants to get coffee. Even if nothing develops with him relationship-wise, it's always helpful to have these kinds of experiences with a potential date, which will help you with future dating.

Good luck!

Jay (whose crush just admitted he's crushing back!  Woo Hoo!)

•  

emilybomb

Thanks! Actually it's not really clear. Pragmatically though this is a tiny college town. Nothing exists here without the university. It's a huge place and relationships happen here all the time. it's inevitable. My job grants me enormous powers of entry and information so things like FERPA, etc are always a consideration. However I'm not involved with grades or records or that sort of thing.

I will probably have to ask him for coffee. Effectively, the ball is in my court since I laughed at him last time. He probably feels embarrassed our something, idk. I don't want him to think I'm playing games though so I feel like it's also important for me to communicate that I just wasn't ready before but I am now.
  •  

Ms Grace

As a person who has had more than a few crushes my advice is to take a step or two back. When I was crushing I was thinking a lot of the stuff you are talking about, imagining all sorts of things about that person and their behaviour towards me, imagining a life together,  being a bit obsessed and stalkery, etc, etc. And it was all fantasy with zero reality. I finally, painfully gushed my heart out in a letter to this young woman at university I'd been crushing on for a couple of months. She was a bit surprised I felt so strongly about her and possibly a bit creeped out. She was a class act though, told me she liked me but not that way. I was able to get over  the crush. Just as well really, those things, if they go on for more than a week can start to poison your soul. We stayed friends for a number of years afterwards.

Looking back at it, even if I had been a different person, confident and direct instead of shy and sneaky, I might have stood a chance with her. But maybe not, turns out the type of guy she was into was the exotic type (ie from other countries). Anyway she's got her life (married to an Iranian, she's a doctor, at least two kids, etc) and I'm happy for her.

What I'd suggest about your crush is stop the dreaming, the planning, the fantasy, the hoping for "casual" encounters...most people start to pick up on that after a while and it squicks them out. Do something proactive, go to his office and just say "hey, how about a coffee sometime today or tomorrow?" That's all you need to do! If he takes you up, then great. If he can't but offers up an alternative time/activity, then great. If he declines and leaves it at that then I think you have an answer as to whether he's even remotely interested in you, no he isn't. Devastating but at least you know.

But just because he says yes doesn't mean he wants to get married, etc however it will be an opportunity to see if there is some real chemistry there between the two of you. Take it easy, see if he takes any initiative for another get together, etc. Take it one coffee, date at a time.

All the best.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

emilybomb

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah,  i can definitely see where you're coming from. Well, I will say one thing. Crushing may be inherently a little creepy, but I am no creeper. Being on the receiving end of some pretty serious creeping including hacking my computer, breaking into my house etc, I know that it is NOT fun times. I am not one to let my actions go overboard when acting on these things. Actually it is unlike me to act them out at all.

I recognize that I need to make some small (reasonable) action to bring the matter into some healthier state. As I mentioned before I just worry a lot about my inexperience, coming across as juvenile, etc. I guess that  asking for a coffee date seems 'adult' enough since that has been the consensus. hey, maybe a convos event or an evening lecture would be a good start too.

He probably won't be around at all until the start of the spring semester (God, that sounded stalkerish) so maybe I will ask in a few weeks.
  •  

Missadventure

I can empathize, as someone who also works for a university and is also trying to figure out what to do about a crush. In my case I actually met her pre transition at a volunteer gig, and walked away from her without having pursued her when I decided to transition. It was kind of weird fate when I got my current job 8 months later, post transitioning, and she was the first person I was introduced to. Dealing with all the neurosis that accompanied starting a new job as a woman when I don't really pass as one (My work uniform, despite being a female uniform, is horribly masculinizing... yuck) caused me to give up any notion of pursuit. She was friendly to me when we interacted, but I mostly avoided her. Then one day we found ourselves walking down the hall together, and she started a friendly conversation with me, so I said "screw it" and asked her out for coffee. I expected a no. So much so that I walked away after she said yes without actually planning the date, and I had to sheepishly track her down 10 minutes later to plan it.

It went well... I've been taking things super slow because I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop (my first attempt at dating after transitioning went rather poorly)... But, she and I have had three dates now, and I'm hopeful there will be more to come.

Anyway, I guess my point is you'll never know what may come until you try. And coffee is a great starting point.

Missadventure

Quote from: emilybomb on December 26, 2014, 10:25:23 PM
I just worry a lot about my inexperience, coming across as juvenile, etc.

My advice for this is to just be honest and upfront about your experience level when it's relevant to do so. Be yourself. It's not fair to anyone (you or him) to enter into a relationship under false pretenses, so don't pretend to have experience that you don't. It will come back to bite you in the end. Clear, open, honest and respectful communication and clearly defined boundaries are key to making any relationship work.

Missadventure

So it occurred to me today that I actually have some genuine helpful advice on what to do about your crush. Just sort of popped into my head while I was talking with the girl I have a crush on. And then on my lunch I went back and reread your post, and I suddenly realized - I know you, and you hate me. At least, if you are the person I suspect you are. If you're not, skip down a few paragraphs for some advice.

But if you are that person the prudent thing for me to do would be to ignore you. However, as you said, this is a tiny college town. And both of us have a kind of isolating existence. So although you'll never trust me, and I sure as hell don't blame you, I want to offer some crush advice as an olive branch in the hopes that we can coexist peacefully in this tiny college town.

As an aside, if you were talking about me when you said "...hacking my computer, breaking into my house etc..." I did none of that. I never actually left my house - I just used google to follow your really obvious breadcrumb trail across the internet. Which, mind you, is no less creepy. I'm sorry. You vanished at pretty much the same point that everyone else in my life vanished, and my brain short circuited, and well, I went to a very unhealthy place. Not offering that as an excuse. There's no arguing that I went to a creepy creepy place. But, I can assure you that it wont happen again. With you, or anyone else.

Although, I will say, now that you're in the world of dating for real - there's a fine line between sweet and endearing, and creepy and stalkerish. For reference, watch the 1989 John Cusack romcom "Say Anything". What his character does is sweet and romantic ONLY because the girl is interested in him. If she wasn't it would've been considered creepy and stalkerish. That's how romance works. Many actions can go either way, and it's predicated entirely upon the other persons interest level. That's something you should be aware of in your quest for "tall, dark, and handsome". Especially if you're going after people who are nerdy and socially awkward - they typically don't have enough experience to know where that line is. Most girls figure this out in their teens. Most guys in their 20s. You and I kinda both missed the boat, and I'm trying like hell to play catchup. It seems you are too.

So that said... Advice that's better than passing a note:

1. DO NOT ask him out when other people are around, unless they're out of earshot and ignoring you. It would seem to be common sense, but, in the heat of the moment when you're all psyched up to actually ask, you might overlook those other people in favor of asking before you lose your nerve. Sounds like he prolly did when he asked you. But, asking in front of other people creates a ton of unnecessary social pressure, either to say yes when it's not really meant - causing awkwardness and hurt feelings later, or a really public rejection, which is also pretty >-bleeped-<ty.

2. DO make up some pretense to go see him, unless you have a genuine reason to go see him. The more flimsy the pretense the better, to be honest. He'll know your pretense is bull>-bleeped-<, but it's one way of saying "Hey, I'm interested in you" without actually saying it. At this stage you don't wanna say anything resembling "OHMEHGERDWILLYOUHAVECOFFEEANDDINNERANDMAKEMESOMEBABIES!?!?" That will make him run the <not allowed> away. See my past interactions with you. Basically, don't do what I did. :-D But you do want to have a pretense, because "cold calling" for a date is also a little weird and gives of a kind of desperate vibe. I dunno. Something like "Just checking in to see if your computer is still performing up to snuff" or whatever.

3. Since he already asked you once, you know there's some interest on his part. Or at least there was, which can be cultivated. That puts you ahead of the game. To actually ask him just be honest and say something like "Hey, a while back you asked me to do something... Would you still be interested in doing that? I'm thinking it would be nice to go out and get some coffee..." That's really all you need to say. You don't need to explain your awkwardness, or lack of experience, though if it comes up later you should because it helps demonstrate that you are a real authentic person. I can't speak for guys, but I know girls will find all kinds of awkwardness endearing if the person is authentic about it.

4. If you do get the coffee date. Meet him there. Do not let him pick you up. Not for the first date. You will be a giant bundle of awkward nervousness, and if you meet him there, and you start to have a nervous breakdown during the date, you can make a much more graceful exit and save face enough to get another date when you've relaxed more. It's much harder to do if he drove you there - "I'm freaking the <not allowed> out because I'm so nervous, take me home please" does not win you a second date.

5. In terms of small talk. I've recently learned there are differences in how men and women approach it. As in, I learned this today. Men ask questions. It's a very interrogative style of conversation. Question, answer, question, answer, etc. Women, on the other hand, use narrative... Basically, just comment on something. Anything. The more random the better. ie. "Your coffee looks hot." That's not a question. It's a narrative statement. It's a subtle cue for him to respond, rather than the more overt "Is your coffee hot?" If he misses the cue you can turn it into a question by tacking on "is it?" or something, or you can throw out another narrative statement. Once you really get good at it you can start throwing out clearly bull>-bleeped-< statements designed to get him to flirt with you. That's more advanced of a level than I am at, currently, but, it definitely is something that works on me.

6. Flirting = teasing with a smile. Also, if you're occasionally a little self deprecating and you add carefree laughter to it, and he complements you, or teases you, it's a good sign of interest on his part. But do not over do it.

7. Touch is also important. This will probably be the hardest thing for you. If he likes you, he will touch you. Most guys consider hands, elbows, and shoulders as fair territory they can touch on a woman they don't know. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But it just is. As they get more interested and comfortable with you they'll try your knee/leg, waist, neck, or face. You have to set your own boundary, defined by your comfort level, and communicate that in a firm and friendly way. In terms of other forms of touch, side hugs are considered friendly, frontal hugs are considered more intimate, unless you pat him on the back. In terms of you touching him... It's expected for you to encourage escalation using touch. I have NO idea how this works, as you know all too well. So, I've resigned myself not do it ever.

8. Body language. There's a lot of info on the internet regarding the body language of attraction. It's relatively similar for men and women. I'll leave it up to you to do your research on that. However, most of the stuff on the internet is geared towards the mindset of extroverted people. Introverted people are MUCH more subtle with their body language, and offer a lot of conflicting signals. You do this. I do it too, for that matter. Makes figuring people out much harder. However, I've come to learn that people will start making their body language more overt if you miss their signals but otherwise show interest in them. The girl I've been batting my eyelashes at only just this week started showing really overt signs of attraction towards me, and our first date was in august. So, it can take a long time. But, if you really want a relationship with this guy, and not a fling, put in the time. NOTE: if you do look up body language of attraction on the internet most of the websites you'll find are geared towards wannabe pickup artists. The stuff they say about the body language is usually spot on. But, ignore everything else they say. You might want to look up the body language for women too, just so you'll know what YOU should be doing to signal your interest in him. Although it may come natural to you, I dunno. I've found that it largely did for me.

9. Parting ways. Part ways with a hug, and tell him something like "I had a lot of fun, we should get together again..." With any luck he'll ask you out for a second date on the spot. If he doesn't, all hope is not lost, but back away. Be friendly yet aloof for a week or two, give him some space to come to you. If he doesn't it's perfectly acceptable to go to him and ask for a second date.

10. Disclosing your status as trans. A lot of people have an opinion on this. My personal feelings are if I want a relationship with a person, then I want to be able to be fully and completely open with them about every aspect of my life - including my transition. Also, the girl I'm interested in met me pre transition, so it's not like I can hide it from her. But, even then, it still took me three dates to find the courage to bring it up. I finally said "So, am I the first trans person you've met? I'm just wondering because you seem really cool about it, and most people think I'm weird." And, she had a really awesome and very respectful reply. And now it's an open topic for us. But, it's ultimately your call on whether or not you want to disclose.

Anyway. That's all I can think of for right now. Good luck, godspeed, and welcome to the next level of puberty 2.0 :-)