Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

voice training questions

Started by Annaiyah, January 05, 2015, 04:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annaiyah

So I am giving the voice training another shot. I notice when I speak in falsetto i feel vibrations in my upper neck. Normally when i speak in falsetto i aim to make sure i am not vibrating in my neck or chest. Is it okay to vibrate in the neck?

Also is it necessary to keep squeezing your throat as you bring down your voice? This one girl on YouTube explains how she transitioned her voice by using the falsetto method and bringing her voice down, and now her voice is so sweet and soft. I love it! I could listen to her voice all day!

I hope to also have a soft, sweet-sounding voice.
They say identity theft is a crime. Well, needless to say, a crime has been committed. My identity has been stolen. No, no one knows my social security number or has my credit card. I'm walking around in the wrong body. I'm wearing a costume which I cannot remove... and the only way I can remove that costume, is through surgery
  •  

Ms Grace

Whatever you do you have to be very careful that you don't strain or damage your vocal chords. That can happen if you push for a pitch which is outside your normal range. You might end up with significant problems with your voice if that happens. Essentially you should be able to talk in your voice with enough volume and for any length of time without it feeling like it is stressing your throat.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

islandgirl

I am trying the Eva app. Just started yesterday - will see how it goes. Seems pretty easy use.
  •  

anjaq

Remember - the falsetto ist just to show you some ways to use your voice. The intention is not to speak in falsetto. And I think I said this again - dont forcefully squeeze anything. All you will do then is to damage and strain your muscles and vocal chords and get hypertension dysphonia. It is better to pay for lets say 6 hours at a voice therapist so she can check what you are doing and if you are on a good way, even if you are doing most exercises by yourself.

•  

Annaiyah

Quote from: anjaq on January 07, 2015, 08:21:09 AM
Remember - the falsetto ist just to show you some ways to use your voice. The intention is not to speak in falsetto. And I think I said this again - dont forcefully squeeze anything. All you will do then is to damage and strain your muscles and vocal chords and get hypertension dysphonia. It is better to pay for lets say 6 hours at a voice therapist so she can check what you are doing and if you are on a good way, even if you are doing most exercises by yourself.

I'm not trying to forcefully squeeze anything. What i am asking is if it's okay to vibrate in my throat while in falsetto and if or not i need to keep my throat squeezed while bringing down my voice.

When i do the falsetto thing, i notice that when i bring my voice back down my voice tends to crack to get back down to the normal position. I also end up with shortage of breath, and a headache if i do it for too long. Is this normal?

Also i watched all of CandiFLA's videos about voice training and took notes.
They say identity theft is a crime. Well, needless to say, a crime has been committed. My identity has been stolen. No, no one knows my social security number or has my credit card. I'm walking around in the wrong body. I'm wearing a costume which I cannot remove... and the only way I can remove that costume, is through surgery
  •  

anjaq

Of course it is ok for the voice to vibrate in the throat, as this is where the vocal chords are.

And no - headache and shortage of breath are not normal.

The voice tends to break into chest voice from falsetto if you go down. I think part of the trick there is to keep that break to a minimum. You can experiment with some squeezing there - you need to find out which muscles you have to keep going and which to relax. it is a learning process and it is best to have feedback - do voice recordings and listen. Maybe you should also do the FYFV exercises a bit to get a feeling of the right ways to use "squeezing".

•  

anjaq

This is not an ad, dont buy anything because of this unless you really want - the point of this link is, that there are some voice tipps right there as text on the page, free to read :) - Also some of Melanies tipps are available online for free as youtube videos I believe.

http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm

Especially the chapter on resonance is of interesti in this case. it describes where the resonances should be felt. Good Luck.

•  

Annaiyah

Thank you, Anjaq. You were a better help than the first two responses.  :)
  •  

anjaq

There is apparently also a second part to that text - link at the bottom of that page

•