Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Being bigendered feels like a lose-lose

Started by JacquelineGrace, January 11, 2015, 05:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacquelineGrace

Hey guys. I'm posting because I'd like to know if anybody else here can identify with my particular problem. I'm bigender, and feel like finding peace with it may be more complicated than I thought.

I am constantly flipping between being a very masculine man and a very feminine woman. I am a male, so if I'm in "man-mode", it's like everything's fine. No cause for concern. Then I wake up the next day en femme and my world is upside down. I am a mess. I can't stop thinking about transition. Thinking about how much happier I would be if I decided to transition. It's like, half the time I feel proud as a man, and the other half I think to myself "am I REALLY going to live the rest of my life in this body?" Asking a question like that really pushes me towards the idea of transitioning, but I feel like even if I did, wouldn't I still have the same struggle in reverse? Being a proud woman who misses being a man half the time? I feel like I'm more woman than man, but that could just be a bias talking...

A question I would have for bigender people in transition: how did you realize you would definitely be happier being the opposite sex? How could you tell that it was right for you?

Thanks in advance,
Jacqueline
  •  

littleredrobinhood

Hi Jacqueline,

I'm sorry to say, I don't have any helpful advice - but I can relate.

I'm DFAB, and the gender I identify as switches between male and female at random. Sometimes it switches several times a day, and other times it will be pretty steady for several months. For the past 8 or so years, though, I've felt more male than female. And like you, I'm very conflicted about transitioning.. I worry that if I transitioned to male, I'd go from feeling dysphoric when I feel male, to being dysphoric when I feel female.

For now, I've decided to stay "as-is", because at least the dysphoria I have now is free-of-charge - whereas the dysphoria I'd feel post-transition would cost me thousands of dollars.

And yet.. part of me still wants to. It could just be the dysphoria speaking, but still - I want relief. The "relief" I get when I ID as my "birth sex" is only temporary - and even then, I'm constantly bracing myself for the dysphoria to return. I still worry about whether or not transitioning would help me.

So yeah.. Like I said - I don't really have anything helpful to say. But I feel your pain, and hope you can find a way to be happy in both "male" and "female" mode.
  •  

mrs izzy

Jacqueline
Welcome to Susan's family.
There are many here that can offer information to help.
So many topics to explore and posts to write.
Pull up a chair and give a look over the following links for site info...
Stay safe and healthy passage on your path, popcorn?

Izzy
Forum News: new for our members under 18 a new safe place just for you. Youth talk.
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Brenda E

I'm not bigender, but I - like many others - constantly second-guess my decision to transition.  My thought process is something along the lines of, "I'm not bad at being a guy, and there are plenty of times when being a guy really didn't bother me that much. So why go through the trouble of transitioning if my dysphoria is chronic rather than constant?"  I imagine that your dysphoria is similarly cyclical too.

For me, it boiled down to figuring out where I was happier.  Male?  Not really - that was something I tolerated.  Female?  Sure - when the dysphoria was immense and I thought of myself as female, I was truly happy.

There's the whole "would you take a pill that would switch your gender from birth to preferred?" question, which I find rather helpful when second-guessing myself.  There has never been a time when I wouldn't have guzzled the entire bottle of those pills - I'd have melted and injected them into my veins like a heroin addict.  That alone gives me confidence that I'm making the right decision by transitioning.

Will there be times when I regret transition?  Of course: there'll be times when I'm sure I experience reverse dysphoria and wish that I was male; there's going to be hard times ahead, and transition is never an easy solution to a problem.  But it can be a solution if you can figure out where you'd be happiest spending most of your time.  For me, that's as a female.  I may have some sucky days when I rue the day I ever started HRT, but I'm confident those days will be few and far between.

On a practical level, I knew that transition was right when I dipped a toe in HRT - putting the correct hormones in my body was conclusive evidence to me that I physically and mentally felt better as a female.  If you haven't tried that, you may want to.  As ever, I highly recommend therapy, and I highly recommend a trial run of HRT.  Those two things will go a long way towards answering your questions.

All the best.  It's a tough situation to be in.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: JacquelineGrace on January 11, 2015, 05:52:59 AM
A question I would have for bigender people in transition: how did you realize you would definitely be happier being the opposite sex? How could you tell that it was right for you?

It was a long process involving dozens of blog posts. In the end, there was no substitute for dressing as a woman (for the first time in my life), and going into social situations where I'd be seen as a female. The more I did that, the more natural it felt and the more I realized I never wanted to go back.

It helped to ask myself the following thought questions:

(1) Suppose you could never be male again, act male, hang around with males as one of them, etc. How would you feel? (My answer: It would feel strange because I've lived all my life as a male, but I probably would get used to it.)

(2) Suppose you could never be female again, act female, hang around with females as one of them, etc. How would you feel? (My answer: Like a piece of me has been cut off.)

I knew then that I was female at the core, and the male parts of my identity were grafted on from decades of living as a male.

Does this help?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Eva Marie

Quote from: JacquelineGrace on January 11, 2015, 05:52:59 AM

Jacqueline-

I went through a progression of thinking I was an androgyne/genderqueer, and then being absolutely sure that I was bigender, to realizing that I am a transsexual. My dysphoria never stopped growing during that period of time, and it eventually got to the point that I was drinking myself to death and I had a decision that had to be made - this had happened even though I was taking a low dose of HRT to try to control my dysphoria - it wasn't working any longer.

With that said - I know exactly the thoughts and feelings that you are talking about, because I had them too. One day I would swear up and down that I was 100% a guy, and the next day I'd flip and want to put on heels and makeup. Back and forth it went for several years. Lather, rinse, repeat. I just kept hanging on, riding the ride, until I realized why I was drinking and what it was doing to me.

My dysphoria ultimately made the decision for me. Even today as a transitioned, legal female I don't feel like a woman (however THAT feels) - I just feel like me. Living as a female fits me a lot better than living as a guy ever did, and estrogen has fully awakened my mind.

The best advice I can give you now is if your dysphoria ever gets to the point of self destructive behavior find a therapist - I should have done it long before I did.

Transitioning is not for everyone - I fully understand and respect those that are not binaries and a transition is not the answer - but it was ultimately the right answer for me.

•  

JacquelineGrace

Thanks everyone for all the replies. It means the world to hear somebody else speaking of things I figured were just delusions.

Littleredrobinhood: Just knowing I'm not alone in those kinds of feelings is plenty of help. I appreciate your response immensely. I also want to stay "as-is", because, hey, it's a lot easier on my relations, life, and wallet. But the flipping will continue to happen. Sometimes I dread the next day, thinking I'll wake up female and pissed about it. But sometimes I find myself grabbing for it, like I am happier as a female, and dread waking up male. So basically, it's convoluted and beyond frustrating. Guess only time will be able to offer some clarity. Thanks again, and I hope you find your balance as well!

Brenda E: I've definitely asked that pill question to myself before, and I gave it a quick answer of "that sounds fantastic." I've just been worried of course that it's only temporarily appealing and will always come and go on an equal basis. But I definitely didn't think about being able to do a trial run! That's definitely a thing I would consider if I find my flips weigh too heavy on the female side to live with. But it's definitely empowering to know that I could always trial HRT to know for certain before taking the leap. Thanks for your response.

Suzifrommd: Yes! That absolutely helps. Especially your two thought questions. Holy hell. Definitely spot on with how I feel in social situations involving all male vs all female. I enjoy spending time with my female friends but it can be heartbreaking, especially if gender-based barriers are apparent. So yes your response helped a ton, however it's also mildly terrifying. There is one part of me that wants to figure me out to be a woman, then there's the other anxious part of me that hopes I'll just find my balance and stay male. I guess time might show the answer, but that'll definitely be a rocky path.

Eva Marie: The idea that dysphoria can evolve throughout my life is something that could really, really make sense for me. The thought that, in the end, I may not be bigender but rather a soon-to-be transgender woman definitely resonates with me deeply and I was definitely shook by it. Before I talked to other transgenders, I figured dysphoria was something transgenders felt all the time and other emotions just covered it up. But it's eye opening to understand that there may be times where I will swear I'm male, but those moments may not prove that I'm male for certain. I guess I have a ton to think about (as if I didn't already before). Thank you!

And Izzy, thanks for the welcome!

I'm beyond thankful for all the responses. I thought I would have follow up questions, but all of your experiences resonated with me so much more thoroughly than I could have imagined. I guess we'll see what happens through introspection and time.

See you,
-Jacqueline
  •