Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Electrolysis swelling

Started by Colleen♡Callie, February 20, 2015, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colleen♡Callie

Just finished my second electrolysis appt. and I'm curious as to what tried and true methods for reducing swelling that already started.  Ice and aspirin help prevent more swelling from happening, but the issue is it takes me an hour to get home so some swelling has already occurred.  Any tips on reducing it?
"Tell my tale to those who ask.  Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.  The rest is silence." - Dinobot

•  

Eveline

Honey, does your electrologist have a refrigerator that you can keep an icepak in? Mine has a little mini fridge in her office.
Eveline

Twitter: @evelineacarr
Facebook: eveline.a.carr
LinkedIn: evelinecarr

•  

Colleen♡Callie

"Tell my tale to those who ask.  Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.  The rest is silence." - Dinobot

•  

Muffinheart

First couple sessions I puffed up, then my electrologists suggested "EMLA" cream.
You apply it one hour before, it numbs the area.
Easy to apply, never had any effects or problems, and so glad I used it.
  •  

Eveline

I usually put a thick layer of 100% Aloe Vera on the treated areas right after electrolysis - it seems to help a bit...
Eveline

Twitter: @evelineacarr
Facebook: eveline.a.carr
LinkedIn: evelinecarr

•  

Kitty June

Perhaps bring a cooler with ice packs next time. It might work if they don't sit too long or the weather is cool. Good chance of that right now. If your here in the east, just open the window.
Brrr gonna crawl under the blankets now.

•  

FrancisAnn

I've had some terrible swelling sometimes. Aloa Vera is so cooling & nice, uses lots & lots of it until any irritation goes away. An ice bag also helps. Good luck. Once during the summer I got too much sun after a treatment & my face was so terrible for days, so no sun if you are lucky enough to be in a warm climate. 
mtF, mid 50's, always a girl since childhood, HRT (Spiro, E & Fin.) since 8-13. Hormone levels are t at 12 & estrogen at 186. Face lift & eye lid surgery in 2014. Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck & some facial surgery May, 2015. Life is good for me. Love long nails & handsome men! Hopeful for my GRS & a nice normal depth vagina maybe by late summer. 5' 8", 180 pounds, 14 dress size, size 9.5 shoes. I'm kind of an elegant woman & like everything pink, nice & neet. Love my nails & classic Revlon Red. Moving back to Florida, so excited but so much work moving
  •  

Ms Grace

Sadly swelling is just a by product of the process. I found it took several hours for it to go down. My electro recommended avoiding creams and whatnot for at least 24 hours due to the risk of infection. I was just using alcohol wipes to keep my skin clean. The worst of the swelling would be down by the next day. What process are you using - thermolysis (single needle/electricity) or galvanic (multi-probe/heat). I'm using galvanic so recovery might be different for thermolysis.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

AnonyMs

I've not started electrolysis yet, so this is just a guess.

I'd ask an doctor what might work best. I've used Voltaren (diclofenac) for inflammation and it works wonders - it sounds similar but I don't know if it would work for electrolysis. Regardless of that I'd expect there's more effective medications than aspirin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diclofenac

I think I'll ask I endo about this next time I see him. He seems to know all sorts of useful things.
  •  

Julia-Madrid

Many places will suggest their own technique for reducing pain and swelling.  Ice, carefully appied so as not to burn your skin, would help, as would an anti-inflammatory that you know works for you.  My clinic recommends applying a little rosehip oil before bed for a few days after electro.

After a session (presently I am doing 3 hours a week) I ensure that all makeup is removed and then wash with a gentle antibacterial soap.  At least this reduces the possibility of infected follicles etc.

•  

jenifer_n

You can always pick up some of the chemical ice packs. They will do the trick but as you progress the amount of swelling does diminish.

jenifer n.
  •  

mfox

Here's what I use to limit the redness and swelling after Laser and Electro:

• Antihistimine tablet (Loratadine). These are over the counter (like "Claritin"). Taken morning of appointment
  • Ibuprofen tablets (1 - 2 hours before appointment)
  • 1% Hydrocortisone cream ("insect bite / sting relief") after appointment.
  • Ice packs (you can get single-use instant activated cold packs in first aid supplies at a drug store).
The recovery for me is a lot faster when I use a combination of these.
  •