Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Well Oh Boy-o.

Started by Gerby, February 03, 2015, 06:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerby

I thought I'd make a post here because it helps to write things sometimes, I guess.

I have a post over at the Coming out of the Closet thread, as well as a post in the introductions if you're curious of my current predicament.

Either way, I thought I'd say that literally half an hour ago, I told my dad I was unhappy with my current gender and wanted to speak with a therapist, it was rather embarrassing, but fortunately he understood and was already extremely supportive. Still haven't told really anyone else, however. I'm gonna try and speak to a therapist rather discreetly, and slowly bring the rest of my family in. But I'll prolly try and inform a few of my friends first, just so I know they'd be on-board with the idea if I do go through with any sort of MtF type of deal.

Any tips for telling my mother would be like... highly appreciated. :P She's rather... easily-angered at times, and also tends to make a lot of assumptions. Despite the fact I expect she'll understand and want the best for me, my imagination is the enemy in this situation, just can't stop thinking of how she'll react.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Hi!

I'm a parent (dad), 3 kids, 1 still in high school, 2 out...

First, congrats on telling your dad, and kudos to him for not freaking out and being supportive.

Your mom sounds like she might be more...difficult...having said that, my ex (the kids' mom) and I had an agreement: She knew she was prone to freaking out (and I was known to be calm and reassuring), so when she accidentally discovered our 17yo daughter was pregnant, I was asked to approach our daughter and find out the story...I opened the conversation with "Your mom saw something on the computer..." Once I got her side of the story, I told her it'd be ok and that I would let mom know the details if she (my daughter) wanted (she did).

Her mom was very accepting, but was upset that her daughter wasn't comfortable telling her this big secret in her life. The point of this is, maybe ask your dad for help or suggestions on how to break it to your mom?

Remember, sometimes our fears are more scary than real. Hope it all works out.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Gerby on February 03, 2015, 06:59:44 PM
Either way, I thought I'd say that literally half an hour ago, I told my dad I was unhappy with my current gender and wanted to speak with a therapist, it was rather embarrassing, but fortunately he understood and was already extremely supportive.

Gerby, you don't ever need to be embarrassed about being trans. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You can be proud of being who you are. It takes a lot of strength to face our issues, so count yourself among the strong.  :)

Quote from: Gerby on February 03, 2015, 06:59:44 PM
Any tips for telling my mother would be like... highly appreciated. :P She's rather... easily-angered at times, and also tends to make a lot of assumptions. Despite the fact I expect she'll understand and want the best for me, my imagination is the enemy in this situation, just can't stop thinking of how she'll react.

A note might be a good idea. That way you'll be able to say it exactly the way you want. Best to educate her a little. Maybe something like this.

"Mom, you probably have heard about people called transgender. These are people who were born with the need to live in a gender that's different from their sex at birth. I need to tell you that I'm one of these people. I can no longer be happy living as a male. Please understand that I didn't choose this and that it's not something that can be ignored. People who ignore being transgender are prone to anxiety and serious depression. I know you don't want that to happen to me. Also, please understand that this is something I was born with. It's not going to "go away" and there's nothing that will change my brain to make it so I'm not transgender. I know you love me and care about me and want what's best for me, so I'm counting on you to support me while I deal with this."

Do you think that would work?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •