Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Saw therapist for the first time

Started by Christine Eryn, August 14, 2007, 12:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christine Eryn

By the suggestion of a very good person on this forum, I visited a TG friendly therapist the other day. It was all around good session, not totally what I expected, which was to be on the defensive. I thought I would be asked questions like "why are you that way" and stuff like that. I explained my main goal was to get HRT or some kind of doctors note, but she did not have anyone available at the time. This was like hitting a brick wall. :( I did not expect this dissapointment. Really, it would be easy to get hormones and self medicate, but I would like to try the safe approach. I told her finding her took a long, long time, likewise going about HRT is not like looking in the phone book under "transgendered services" (I wish). Also I don't want to tell any doctor "hey I want estrogen" and have them be  ???

Really I was looking forward to HRT, now I'm just kinda stuck, like I said, hit a wall, wind out of the sails, flat tire, etc. The future is not as promising as it used to be.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

seldom

You can look for a local LGBT clinic if you live in a large enough city.  Most do HRT for TS patients at this point. 
Anyway most people do not get their HRT letter after the first session anyway.  It usually takes three months at the very least. 
  •  

Reena

Oh Christine, you have to keep smiling and do not let this get you down.  Amy is more or less right about the HRT.  A therapist usually will not get them for you till at least three months, or giving you the letter you would require for a Doc.,  They just want to make sure it is the route you want to go, as once you start your HRT you have to rmember that it is permanent changes you will have to endure.  Well i do feel for you allt eh same and do hope that eventually your dream will happen...Take Care, Reena
  •  

Christine Eryn

Thanks, coincidentally, she called me and said there might be a doctor available in a few weeks. This does give me some hope. Actually it gives me alot of hope. :D I think things just might work out.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Christine Eryn on August 14, 2007, 12:06:43 AM
Also I don't want to tell any doctor "hey I want estrogen" and have them be  ???

I did. I REALLY did not like my therapist's recommended doctor, so I hunted for one myself.

I printed a list of the nearest 40 or so doctors and endos, and started making calls, working my way down the list.

I just told them, "Hi, I'm a male-to-female transsexual under the care of so-and-so, who've I've been seeing for a year, and am looking for a doctor to manage my HRT. I have a recommendation letter. Can you help me?"

Not one of them acted OMG! or anything. Most of them actually congratulated me, said they admire my courage, and said "it must have been SO hard for you!" Medical people have heard and seen everything, including TSs. Every office I called was friendly and professional, though they all basically said, "We're sorry, we'd like to help, but you really should see someone who specializes in this."

Ironically, I ended up with my wife's doctor of all people. "Transsexual? Sure! We've treated quite a few. Come on in for an evaluation, and we'll see if we can help you. If not, we'll direct you to someone who can."

And that was that ;)

~Kate~
  •  

Christine Eryn

Wow, I've never thought of taking that approach, Kate. You might be on to something. Although if I answered the phone on the other end and wasnt open minded, I wouldn't think it was a legit call or request. If things don't work out, I might just go that direction. Thanks again.  ;D
  •