Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

In support of Therapists (My opinion)

Started by Steph, August 24, 2007, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

Often they get a bum rap, while there are those who deserve it, I would have to say for the vast majority of them they do very good work.  In recent light of an issue regarding "Regretting SRS" there are those who are going to lay blame at the foot of those involved with the case and that includes the therapists.

Therapists have a job to do and they earn their living doing it.  Yes it's expensive, but then so was their education and while a psychologist's training/education is somewhat simpler that a psychiatrists they none the less invest a good portion of their life achieving their degrees in order to provide proffessional therapy.

Their license to practice is probably the most important document they have and realistically they put it on the line every time they see/treat/advise/diagnose a patient.  Those therapists who may have been involved with the person who now regrets SRS, and is taking court action, are going to have their lives turned upside down. Not only will they be required to present evidence regarding the case, how they arrived at their findings etc.  But they will probably have to endure a Medical Review Board to see if the therapist conducted themselves in a professional manner.

We often hear of bad experiences with therapists because "We" didn't get the diagnosis or answers we were expecting or wanted, but lets not forget that the diagnosis advice is/should be based on the information that is provided to them by the patient. 

Surgeons rely on these diagnoses to determine if the patient can go forward with a request for surgery.  So there is a heavy burden placed on therapists to get it right.  I used to be a "Nay sayer" when it came to therapy but I relented and it was successful.  I would advise that those who's experience is less than what they expected to seek a second opinion.  And if there are those who feel they were treated less than professionally should report the therapist concerned to the medical review boards.

Just my thoughts.

Steph
  •  

Dennis

Bit of an unfortunate typo in that first sentence there, Steph  :laugh:

Dennis
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Dennis on August 24, 2007, 01:16:13 PM
Bit of an unfortunate typo in that first sentence there, Steph  :laugh:

Dennis

Nice catch- thanks.

Steph
  •  

Dennis

Heh, was gonna edit it myself, but thought you might get a giggle.

Dennis
  •  

Gozer

I've noticed that a great deal anymore.  In TG circles and with others as well. There seems to be a real adversarial relationship between some and their therapists. I've only been helped, by mine.  She's pretty good.  When it comes to TG issues sometime you really need that person to talk to. A sounding board for one's ideas, thoughts and emotions.  Isn't that what it's for, helping yourself? They are excellent resources for help understand complex issues. To view them as "gatekeepers" is self-defeating. Use 'em for what they're good for...I always love an expensive place to cry.
  •  

SusanK

I think you're right. Before we complain, we should sit in the other chair for awhile, even listening to ourselves, and ask ourselves, from that view, what would you think and say about the person talking to you. I will agree some will exercise opinion than expertise, especially when they have a client/patient outside their experience and knowledge. But for the most part, it's very simple, if the therapist isn't working for you, either they're not the right therapist for you or you're not communicating your life and situation.

All that said, for the most part I've gained from my therapist who is both a life coach and gender therapist, so we don't always focus on gender issues but my life in and around my transistion. We've had both good and bad sessions, and occasionally I take a few months vacation. In the end though, the reality is that they will be the one who writes the letter(s). So we need to understand that while we know we're right in our life decisions, we should remember they're betting their professional career with our decisions.

Just my thoughts too.

--Susan--
  •