Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transsexual Top Model on Tyra

Started by Julie Marie, August 26, 2007, 08:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

This Friday The Trya Banks Show will be doing a Top Model show featuring all TSs.  Here's the info:

Friday, August 25th
"Transsexual Top Model"

You won't believe these beauties are all really men! Tyra searches for America's next "Transsexual Top Model!" The outrageous Janice Dickinson, former club kid James St. James and drag icon and recording artist Kevin Aviance judge guests in a "Top Model" style competition to decide who will walk away with a Tyra-directed high-fashion photo shoot, a spread in Instinct magazine and a modeling contract!

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/this_week.html
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Yvonne

I wonder if the disclosure of your transsexual status is beneficial when you're in the fashion business.  I'm & I don't think I'd have the same opportunities if peeps knew I was born intersexed, was raised as a boy and then changed my sex to female.  :-\
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Yvonne on August 26, 2007, 09:35:22 AM
I wonder if the disclosure of your transsexual status is beneficial when you're in the fashion business.  I'm & I don't think I'd have the same opportunities if peeps knew I was born intersexed, was raised as a boy and then changed my sex to female.  :-\

Yeah, I kind of wondered about the value of that modeling contract.  So you sign a contract with a modeling agency that features you as a transsexual.  Then you wait for a client who is looking for a transsexual model.  This society isn't very open to that.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Julie Marie on August 26, 2007, 08:55:13 AM
"Transsexual Top Model..."

You won't believe these beauties are all really men!

I'm not thrilled about the assertion...

~Kate~
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Kate on August 26, 2007, 10:16:53 AM
"Transsexual Top Model..."

You won't believe these beauties are all really men!

I'm not thrilled about the assertion...

~Kate~

Yeah, more of a step back than a step forward.
'You won't believe these beauties used to be men!'
would've been better though not accurate either.
'You won't believe these beauties were born male!'
would probably be the best way to phrase it for the audience to get it.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

HelenW

It's just another example of how we are exploited.  On the other hand, people will get to see how well a transwoman can pass.

hugs & smiles
Emelye
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Yvonne

Quote from: Emelye on August 26, 2007, 10:56:34 AM
On the other hand, people will get to see how well a transwoman can pass.

Good point.  No offense to anyone but she might as well get the same attention and reaction in a circus.  That was my point. But thats her choice and thats what counts.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: regina on August 26, 2007, 01:34:14 PM
This Friday The Trya Banks Show will be doing a Top Model show featuring all TSs.  Here's the info:

Friday, August 25th
"Transsexual Top Model"

You won't believe these beauties are all really men! Tyra searches for America's next "Transsexual Top Model!" The outrageous Janice Dickinson, former club kid James St. James and drag icon and recording artist Kevin Aviance judge guests in a "Top Model" style competition to decide who will walk away with a Tyra-directed high-fashion photo shoot, a spread in Instinct magazine and a modeling contract!

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/this_week.html

This is an old show from almost 2 years ago and I personally found it highly offensive since they're treated as a sideshow, not as women. This isn't a real competition of any kind... it's a joke about men looking like ladies and Tyra Banks (who has had some trans-positive shows but is still very ignorant about our issues) should be ashamed of herself. Janice Dickenson later used (the right term) the young latina woman who 'won' the little competition on Tyra on her own short-lived show called 'The Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency' and proceeded to humiliate this person, refer to her by the wrong pronouns and eventually fire her from her modeling agency on the show. Janice Dickenson, and anything she touches, should be boycotted by transpeople everywhere.

That's horrible! >:(
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Cindi Jones

American exploitation at its best.  We've taken the freak shows from the circus and broadcast them to the world. 

How sensitive we are.  How compassionate we are.  How spiritually advanced we have become.

I am disgusted with this slop they throw at us.  It makes me ill to think that millions of people think that this is acceptable material for broadcast.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Skye

I would say that can be all aspects of "Reality" Programming.  I would think that any community where people are unwilling to take the time to get to know or understand would view them as a  "freak show".   And while this concept is frustrating, if not insulting, is it better to have some exposure instead of no exposure?

Kinda like that idiom, "there is no bad publicity"
  •