Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Your pets + your significant other's pets...advice?

Started by FTMax, February 08, 2015, 08:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTMax

My boyfriend and I are planning to move in together this summer. I currently have a dog and he has 3 cats. Two of those cats technically belong to an ex who has since moved across the country. I don't remember how it originally came up (if it was his idea or mine), but we came to the agreement that 4 animals and 3 adults in one space was a lot and that we should try to get those 2 cats back to his ex.

There are some complications with the ex's current partner and allergies, and they're trying to find a solution. My boyfriend is super stressed out about it, and I feel like a terrible cat homewrecker. Has anyone ever had issues blending family pets when you've moved in with a significant other? Did you just try to make it work or did you take any steps to make that transition easier?

I guess my ultimate concern would be that his ex can't take them back and we won't be able to find a family member or friend to take them, and we'll have to keep them. I love them all - they're all good cats. I'm worried about my dog going from being a solo animal to one of four. And I'm worried about dropping the "so it's actually going to be 3 cats instead of 1" bomb on my roommate who wants to move with us. I'd love any advice or words of wisdom that anyone would be willing to share.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

sam1234

Unless they are marking, cats really don't take up that much space. If you aren't sure if you would be sending the cats back to a good situation, I wouldn't do it. Its hard enough if they are going to a really good place, but if you aren't sure, board the guilt train.

Not knowing your boyfriend, I can't say for sure, but if they are his cats, getting rid of them may cause some tension.

When I moved in with my friends after a nasty divorce, I brought with me an African Gray parrot, two ferrets, a poodle and a cat. They already had a dog and three cats plus a cockatoo. Somehow we made it work. You could try it and see how things work out if you aren't sure how well the ex is going to care for them.

sam1234
  •  

StrykerXIII

Quote from: sam1234 on February 09, 2015, 02:49:06 PM
When I moved in with my friends after a nasty divorce, I brought with me an African Gray parrot, two ferrets, a poodle and a cat. They already had a dog and three cats plus a cockatoo.
sam1234

Ahh! Another parront! I'm proud mama to a pair of cockatoos and a cockatiel, and my fiancee has three macaws and an amazon.
To strive to reach the apex of evolution is folly, for to achieve the pinnacle is to birth a god.

When the Stryker fires, all turn to dust in its wake.
  •  

FTMax

Thanks for the responses!

My boyfriend's ex finally got back to us yesterday and let us know that her partner is able to get shots every few months for the cat allergies, and we've made arrangements to meet up with them at the end of May to give them back to her. I'm sure they'll be fine there - the question was more, if they hadn't found a workaround for the allergies, how on earth do I live with three cats and a dog?  ;D

Now it'll just be one cat and one dog. Much, much easier to deal with.

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

StrykerXIII

Quote from: ftmax on February 09, 2015, 03:36:38 PM
Thanks for the responses!

My boyfriend's ex finally got back to us yesterday and let us know that her partner is able to get shots every few months for the cat allergies, and we've made arrangements to meet up with them at the end of May to give them back to her. I'm sure they'll be fine there - the question was more, if they hadn't found a workaround for the allergies, how on earth do I live with three cats and a dog?  ;D

Now it'll just be one cat and one dog. Much, much easier to deal with.

At least he's willing to go through the shots. I'm allergic to cats and dogs both, but just put up with it for my fiancee. That said, though, I may look into shots...one can only sneeze so many times before it gets painful.
To strive to reach the apex of evolution is folly, for to achieve the pinnacle is to birth a god.

•  

FTMax

I may look into them as well! I don't get to the point of sneezing, but my eyes get very itchy. It's always been a thing with me and cats, but it's usually very manageable. Not sure if it happens so quickly now because it's 3 cats in a house, or if I'm just getting more sensitive in my old age  ::)

•  

sam1234

I'm glad you were able to work things out with your cats. Its never easy to leave a pet. They are part of the family and they never judge you.

stryker, I can only imagine the volume at calling times (morning and evening for most birds). We have an umbrella cockatoo and he can make your eardrums bleed!

Sam1234
  •  

StrykerXIII

I've developed a tolerance for it. Most of the time I don't even notice it anymore.

•