Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Intense Workout - Did I Push It Too Much?

Started by Maleth, August 06, 2015, 05:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maleth

Hey guys,

So today I went to my second (official) BJJ class. I've had some grappling knowledge in the past but never took up actual BJJ classes until recently. This was my second class so I was allowed to spar. The warmup in these classes are a little bit intense but anyone can choose to opt out of a specific exercise/stage if they need a water break or to take a breath and have just a break.

Anyways, I'm not too out of shape though I haven't seriously trained in about a month or so, so my body might have gotten out of the loop of intense training.

Today, I sparred with two guys at the end of class. The first guy was my partner for the technical part of class earlier (where we learn techniques with unresisting partners), and he went pretty easy on me but I still had a competitive, good time. After the first dude, I sparred with this waay heavier dude than me. Keep in mind I'm about 100 lbs, about 5,2'' and pre-everything (so the guys know not to go full out on me). Anyways, I learned that it was both good and bad to spar with this really much heavier dude. He was a lot heavier than the first dude so I had a MUCH harder time, but it was bad because he had such a weight advantage on me that it was easy for him to kind of crush me with his weight in a side mount. Most of the sparring round with him was actually me just going all defensive mode because he had me pinned in a side mount pretty much nearly the whole time once he got me to the ground. I think this guy was at least 90-100 lbs heavier than me. So huge difference.

OKAY, I'll cut to the chase now. (TMI part coming) After this intense training, I was changing in the women's changing room when I got super nauseous and threw up. I think I just drank too much water during the training because it was mostly that. Though I was a little concerned because I saw a very small amount of a red liquid. This sounds stupid but I'm not sure if it was blood of just a part of tomato I ate a few hours before training. But *IF* it was blood (which if it was, it was a small amount (~1/8 of a teaspoon), should I be seriously concerned? What could the blood be from, perhaps do you guys think the heavier dude went too hard on me? Or did I just overtrain myself or something?

Sorry for writing so much, I just didn't want to leave any details out, not to mention the situation is giving me a little bit of anxiety. I value my health very highly!
~Maleth
  •  

FTMax

I've done judo for years now and I've been tossed, thrown, dropped, fallen on, etc. Any kind of martial art that involves sparring is usually a good workout.

I wouldn't be concerned. Doing the required physical training in the police academy had me throwing up several days that I was there, especially early on when I wasn't as in shape as I should've been. How do you feel now? Did the nausea subside?

If you're still experiencing it or if you're in any lingering pain (more than just from the workout), I'd go to urgent care.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Laura_7

Against nausea might help some self made fruit juice...
some water together with fruit juice or self pressed fruits and a bit of brown sugar...
instead of only water...

if you eat something... if possible something healthy... and don't have pain you should be ok and it was a piece of tomato...

if in doubt ask a doc...
  •  

Maleth

The nausea pretty much subsided by the time I got home, and it was very brief. I got a good night's rest and slept in and it seems like I'm all good now (aside from some muscle soreness).

Laura, thank you for that recipe! I'll definitely try it out when I can.

I don't seem to be having any pain so I'm just assuming it must have been a tomato peel and not blood.  :laugh:

Thanks for the replies!!
~Maleth
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: Maleth on August 07, 2015, 08:05:03 AM
The nausea pretty much subsided by the time I got home, and it was very brief. I got a good night's rest and slept in and it seems like I'm all good now (aside from some muscle soreness).

Laura, thank you for that recipe! I'll definitely try it out when I can.

I don't seem to be having any pain so I'm just assuming it must have been a tomato peel and not blood.  :laugh:

Thanks for the replies!!

The nausea might come from being powered out... having too few blood sugar and possibly too few electrolytes...

hugs
  •