Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Devyl's Brew

Started by Tracey, January 18, 2015, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Quote from: MarissaJ on February 13, 2015, 04:59:29 PM
Would you be so kind to post the recipe for the jalapeno wine?

Thanks
Marissa

Absolutely, here it is:

15 jalapenos, chopped
12 oz can white grape juice concentrate
2 lbs sugar
1 lemon
1 gallon water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 Campden tablet, crushed

This was adapted from a recipe on Jack Keller's site. The store didn't have golden raisins at a price I liked, so I substituted white grape juice concentrate for $1.69 which is a price I like! I'm doing a guessing game on the sugar, the concentrate is about eight ounces worth, so I bumped up to a full gallon of water. It's not going to fit in a one gallon carboy, so I'll do a makeup bottle for topping off.

I pitched my yeast at noon, then went geocaching for a couple hours, it's frothing on top of the must now, so this show is on the road!
  •  

beerprincess

Wow. That looks awesome!
  •  

Devlyn

Thanks!

Marissa, I wasn't thinking and only posted the ingredients because that's what winemakers do.  This follows standard winemaking procedures, I can find a link to them if you need it. It takes about three months, but can vary wildly.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

ImagineKate

I should try it. Jalapeños are nothing for me but I like the taste.
  •  

Dee Marshall

I've got way too many Korean chili peppers kicking around. I should try a variant. I'll need to get my carboy out of storage. Unfortunately, it's 5 gallons. Whatever will I do with all that wine? ;)
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Anna++

I wonder what kind of cheese I should make to pair with this wine?
Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

LordKAT

Something sweeter I would think, to help cancel the bite. Mozzarella with flecks of dried tomato comes to mind.
  •  

Anna++

Quote from: LordKAT on March 02, 2015, 02:25:35 PM
Something sweeter I would think, to help cancel the bite. Mozzarella with flecks of dried tomato comes to mind.

The only dried tomatoes I've found are packed in oil, which keeps curds from binding together.  I guess I'll just have to dry them myself!
Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

Muffinheart

Quote from: Anna++ on March 02, 2015, 02:39:37 PM
The only dried tomatoes I've found are packed in oil, which keeps curds from binding together.  I guess I'll just have to dry them myself!

I dislike those sun dried tomatoes packed in oil.
Once a year, during tomato season, I'll make a huge batch of sun dried tomatoes using my dehydrator, and then individually pack and freeze them for later use.
  •  

serenityfaith

Quote from: birkin on January 18, 2015, 07:50:52 PM
Hooooly crap that looks deadly lol. My ass hurts just looking at it.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! RIGHTT???
"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues." ― Elizabeth Taylor <3

•  

serenityfaith

Quote from: Dee Walker on March 02, 2015, 12:28:31 PM
I've got way too many Korean chili peppers kicking around. I should try a variant. I'll need to get my carboy out of storage. Unfortunately, it's 5 gallons. Whatever will I do with all that wine? ;)

ooooh oooh!! me!! pick me!!! haha im a good little wine disposal! :P just dont let me get on stage.. uh oh.. :D
"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues." ― Elizabeth Taylor <3

•  

LordKAT

Ye, a simple dehydrator does wonders for food preservation. Tomatoes done that way for your cheese would work well, I think.
  •  

serenityfaith

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on February 13, 2015, 05:29:55 PM
Absolutely, here it is:

15 jalapenos, chopped
12 oz can white grape juice concentrate
2 lbs sugar
1 lemon
1 gallon water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 Campden tablet, crushed

This was adapted from a recipe on Jack Keller's site. The store didn't have golden raisins at a price I liked, so I substituted white grape juice concentrate for $1.69 which is a price I like! I'm doing a guessing game on the sugar, the concentrate is about eight ounces worth, so I bumped up to a full gallon of water. It's not going to fit in a one gallon carboy, so I'll do a makeup bottle for topping off.

I pitched my yeast at noon, then went geocaching for a couple hours, it's frothing on top of the must now, so this show is on the road!

This is so cool! I must try this after this years harvest!! Thank you for sharing Devlyn!!!!!!

•