Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Actually considering seeing a therapist... is it supposed to be this scary?

Started by Amy85, February 17, 2015, 07:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy85

Well it's done, my first therapy session is booked for a week from Friday. This just became real o.0
  •  

Stanna

Hi Amy, I'm going through the same feelings and thoughts you are. Congratulations on booking an appt. I am trying to get the courage to make an appointment myself. My problem is where I live, no gender therapist within a 3 hours drive. I've found a few online that seem encouraging, but still haven't pulled the trigger. I know it is something I must do, just might do it today! Anyway, wishing you the best, and I'm sure you will find what you need to move on with your life in whatever direction that might take.

Hugs, Stanna
  •  

LordKAT

Sometimes it is easier if you first call and just say you are looking for information on gender therapists. It may be enough to give you a feel for the place and gain some level of comfort to make an appointment after that.
  •  

Jill F

For me, it was very scary making that first call, and I applaud all of you who have gathered the courage to do so.  I agonized over it for days, hoping that last extreme wave of dysphoria would pass on its own and that I'd be OK limping along like I had been.   Fear of the unknown, as Cindy mentioned, is very real.  My fears were extinguished within minutes, however, and seeing my therapist from then on was like spending time with a good friend.   In fact, it was just that.
  •  

Amy85

Quote from: LordKAT on February 19, 2015, 06:44:06 PM
Sometimes it is easier if you first call and just say you are looking for information on gender therapists. It may be enough to give you a feel for the place and gain some level of comfort to make an appointment after that.

That's a good idea. Though I found this place with the help of google so I already know she deals with a wide array of issues, one being lgbt issues, and trans was specifically mentioned. And just from her picture and the way she described herself I got a good feeling, good enough to give her a try.

I'm at the nervous stage where I am going over a conversation in my head and trying to figure out what to say and how to say it so that all my problems are accurately conveyed. It's just over a week away now, which seems very soon and at the same time a long time away...
  •  

LordKAT

It can be useful to make yourself note cards with your questions and concerns, it doesn't have to be a word for word story. Just jot the details that you think are important to relay and use it to remind you of things you may otherwise forget.  Then be your own nervous self. They are used to the uncertainty if they are used to LGBT issues as many are nervous with a first appointment. You will do fine.

Afterward, come back and let us know how it went.
  •  

Amy85

Quote from: LordKAT on February 19, 2015, 08:14:46 PM
It can be useful to make yourself note cards with your questions and concerns, it doesn't have to be a word for word story. Just jot the details that you think are important to relay and use it to remind you of things you may otherwise forget.  Then be your own nervous self. They are used to the uncertainty if they are used to LGBT issues as many are nervous with a first appointment. You will do fine.

Afterward, come back and let us know how it went.
I was actually considering writing a few things down :) We'll see how confident I'm feeling next week as the appointment looms closer :P And yes I'll probably be back here eager to talk about how my first therapy session went lol.
  •