Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Not sure where to start with weightloss?

Started by Erik_S, July 07, 2015, 08:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik_S

I'm quite a bit overweight (currently over 200lbs) and I'm not in a position to choose the groceries bought in my household (my brother-in-law is the only one with a steady income and he buys the food) . Since the meals we eat are almost always unhealthy, I have no idea how to start losing weight.
  •  

Dena

I have pretty well cut desserts out of my diet and am careful with portion sizes. I also have a 3 mile path that I walk every night when it cools down from the 100+ degree temperatures. Only plan on about a 2 pound a week loss but it adds up over time. I started out at around 203 pounds that I carried far longer than I should have and I am down to 183. My goal range is 170-175 which is a good weight for my hight. My max healthy weight is 190 pounds so I am currently in the safe range. Also don't get disappointed if you have a week or two where you don't lose weight. The body will replace the lost fat with water for a while and then one day you will find yourself going to the bathroom far to often getting rid of the extra water. Eat slowly and drink plenty of water with your meal as that will help kill your appetite so you don't feel hungry with a smaller portion.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

harperajensen

I've had the same issue. Living with roommates it's hard to pick and choose everything. But I'd agree with Dena in taking in water with just about every meal. I cut back from soda to juice then from juice to water. The best thing is no one ever drinks it cause they want the soda. Just portion out your meals and only allow yourself one small snack a day. Running is definitely the best calorie burner in my book. At least running a mile 3 times a week has helped me a TON. I went from 200 lbs to 170 lbs after a few months of this. It's slow but really not much effort/lifestyle change.  Whatever you choose to do just try your best to stick to it!
  •  

Erik_S

•  

SciNerdGirl

I've tried just about every diet on the planet, and the one I have found most effective is a fish and vegetable heavy Low carb diet.  My body is really sensitive to carbs, I look at them and weight goes on.

Lots of veggies,
Lots of lean meats,
Lots of good fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts)
Lots of Eggs.
Lots of Cheese.

Because this diet does not limit fat, the food is extremely satisfying and once your body gets used to it and your insulin rates go down, it does a good job of suppressing your appetite so you don't need to worry about counting calories.  To some extent you can eat whatever you want, just whatever you do don't cheat (no cheat days, no sneaking snacks etc). 

Pretty much this is what is off limits

No Bread, crackers, pasta. buns, pizza  Just about anything that has wheat
No corn, potatoes (fries, chips, baked, or mashed) , rice
No sweets (cookies cakes etc)
No breaded meats (chicken strips etc)

This is the stuff you need to watch our for (eat in moderation)

Sugary fruits (bananas, apples mangos, melon etc)  Most berries are OK though
Sugary or starchy vegetables (sweet peas,  beans, carrots, sweet onions, beets)
Milk (because of lactose)

This diet has worked for me, but it can be expensive (carbs are cheap, protein isn't), and you have to follow it religiously, because it can be pretty calorie dense, and it works on limiting how much of your food energy actually gets absorbed by your body (eating carbs makes my body absorb all calories much more efficiently, hence weight gain).

Best of luck,

J.
If I want to look like a girl, I need to eat like one.

Happiness is getting your eyeliner perfect on the first try  :angel:
  •  

Alex_or_Ben

Hello there Erik.  Nice to meet you!

I hope you don't mind my commenting, although I know everybody loves to read comments on their posts!

I just started this going to the gym regimen and trying to eat healthier for 2 weeks so far, and I lost 3 lbs.  I basically try to use MyFitnessPal, which you can find on Google, by typing MyFitnessPal without the spaces in between and you will find the website for it.  This website is free, which is wonderful since it helps me since I love things that are free!  There's a forum there, a blog that you can make public or private if you prefer, a food and exercise diary there which motivates me to exercise as often as possible since if you exercise today, for instance, you will be able to eat more calories today since you exercised today.  It's a nice bonus and result from exercise.  It could be something like walking around the block in your neighborhood at a slow pace and this counts as exercise!  Just walk for 30 min as often as you can as a foundation, and build up from there.  If you can lift weights, you could lift weights with a gallon of water on both hands and do it that way to start off with.

Before you do any of that, check with your doctor to make sure that you are healthy enough to do a fitness regimen or lift weights.  It would majorly suck to have something bad to happen to you without your realizing it.

For food - I try to add some vegetables or some water (I'm terrible with adding water to my everyday life, I tend to look at water and go "ooh that's nice" and not actually drink it!  D'oh!).  I try to add veggies or something good like healthier cereal to my breakfast.. I'm careful to not overdo it with adding healthy things since I noticed for myself if I eat "too" healthy, I backpedal from this and overdo it with sugar and junk food.  A book I read recently talking about food that is healthy and junk and the differences between what is junk food and healthy food is called, "Hungry for Change" by James Colquhoun and Laurentine Ten Bosch.  I just read it and learned a lot, I just recommend that book to help you get yourself thinking about what is healthy and why you should eat healthier.  It's a step in the healthy direction.   Just an idea about that book, you don't have to read it.

I try to go to the gym to lift weights and going to the gym helps with the body dysphoria, but it's not easy at all - since I have trouble trying to be careful at the gym and not overdo it.  I say this because after the workout, I tend to feel better about my body, and it's hard with feeling better and the endorphins after the workout to not overdo the exercise.

Basically about food - I try to have a calorie deficit - which means calories left over after my food and exercise for the day.  These calories left over will help you to lose weight.

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts  - I'm up to discussing all of this more if you want.

Alexander
  •