Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Being trans and self defense

Started by rachel89, March 09, 2015, 06:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jill F

We are not going to bicker about pro/con of gun ownership nor who gets the last word in about it here.  Keep in mind that this is a support site, folks.  If you aren't offering support, then keep your opinions to yourself on this divisive issue.
  •  

Mariah

:police:
Okay folks lets please stay on topic. I know that weapons tend to be part of defending ourselves, but this is not a gun thread so lets focus on self defense and not guns. Thanks
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Jayne

I can't recommend self defence classes enough, trans or not.
Self defence gives you confidence in a confrontation and that confidence backed up with the right words can prevent abuse escalating to violence.
Unfortunately I now live in a rough area where I've had to rely on my training several times over the last few months, without this combination of tae kwon do & ninjitzu that some workmates taught me two decades ago things could have been much worse.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Jean24 on July 19, 2015, 05:20:42 PM
The responsible gun owners who subscribe to gun culture have made it incredibly easy for anyone to get a firearm, and openly dare would be criminals to "just try it." That's blatantly asking for trouble. It also ensures that the would be criminal is armed with firearms, making crimes easier to commit and thus carrying becomes more necessary in the first place. If empowerment/looking for trouble isn't their thing, often times it is the fear of the uncertain that leads to it. Of course when someone is afraid they don't want to go through checks and training, they just want the firearm. And again thanks to the lax gun laws that enabled their purchase, the people that they fear are able to take advantage of this too.

The police have to go undergo countless hours of training, tests, and qualifications in order to become officers in the first place. Police officers are also charged with dealing with criminals and that is why they are armed. Joe and Jane gun owner do not necessarily receive any kind of training, nor is it their job to bring in criminals.

As for the stigma around carrying in public, there's a reason for it: You have brought a weapon capable of killing tons of people into a crowded area - like a restaurant or a mall. It's uncomfortable to have someone nearby who feels the need to bring something like that into a place that it doesn't belong.

Question for you. Have you ever tried to buy a gun? Do you know from experience how "easy" it is?

Concealed carriers are also the most law abiding citizens there are. In most states, to get a permit you can't be a convicted felon, or even have minor charges like drug offenses. In most states training is required.

In Texas they did a study among crimes committed by permit holders and the general population and found that by far that permit holders committed far fewer crimes by a wide margin.

Anyway, I'm not going to convince you, and I will continue to carry but don't worry it's concealed so you won't even know it's there. :)

(And as an ex LEO I can carry in all 50 states)
  •  

Mariah

:police:
You were warned and that is it. This is not a topic about guns, buy guns, gun ownership or the difficulties of doing any of that. Since we can't seem to stay on topic. Topic locked
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •