Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Starting therapy

Started by Delyth, May 02, 2015, 06:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delyth

I am starting therapy next week. As far as the psych is aware. My reasons are depression and anxiety. However the root cause for this is my gender dysphoria.
Is it a good idea before the appointment to try to get the psych on the phone to let her know about my gender issues,  or wait until the actual session.
  •  

Laura_7

It might be a good idea imo.
Well it might give her some time to get used to the thought and maybe she could prepare your meeting better.

Have you thought of the idea of sending a mail, with a short explanation ? This would avoid a phone call, if you would find that awkward, and you are supposed to talk about it during your next visit anyways, imo.

have a *hug*
  •  

Mariah

As long as you feel comfortable telling the therapist ahead of time then there is no real downside to telling them before hand. Good luck and hugs:.
Mariah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Ver

This is something I've been wondering about too as I've been looking for a therapist. I know there are other things I want to work through in therapy, but I want my gender concerns to be a major factor right now, so yea the question I'm asking myself is: Do I reach out with the intention of this person being my therapist to help me evaluate my trans needs? Like is that what I lead with when I reach out to therapists for a consultation?

So great questions and responses!
  •  

Mariah

Ver, They will deal with all the issues they find while they are also dealing with your gender concerns. If you want the right therapist to deal with your transgender needs you need to get a hold of a gender therapist. This way you get the care you need. So in this case you would lead out with that info when reaching to therapists to insure you get one that will suite your needs. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

iKate

For my two therapists I gave them as much info beforehand so they knew what they were dealing with.

The first one was with IPG in NJ and had a detailed questionnaire. I filled it out and explained everything. It was very deep and emotional as I've never spilled this much to anyone before.

The second one asked me to describe what was going on via email before I actually saw her then we went over everything. We delved into my entire history and where I see myself in the future as well as anything that bothered me.

They both had to make sure that I was not ready to commit suicide or harm anyone as well as any other things going on in my life.

Helped a ton and the sessions are much more productive with real goals and achievements.
  •  

JoanneB

Back when I was in search of a therapist, ANY therapist, to help me, I made sure to pre-screen them as to just how knowledgeable or experienced they were. Where I was living the closest gender therapists were a good 2 1/2 Hours away. Many on the Psychology Today list once took a class where they may have talked about 'T'. If you want your money's worth, ask ahead of time
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Delyth

I am going to type something out and email it to the therapist. That way she will have an idea of what is going on and put in place the best approach. I am scared. But I know I need to do this.
  •  

acd_92

So proud of you for doing this. *hugs*

It is scary but I think typing it all out for your therapist beforehand can give them a better grasp of things before the session starts, thus ensuring that the session is more effective.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes!!
  •  

catandry

personally, i have found therapy very helpful in my situation. the key is finding the therapist that fits you and that you are comfortable with. if you aren't comfortable then it isn't going to work for you. your therapist should be supportive and  do nothing but encourage and help you figure out what is going on inside you. ultimately your decisions have to be your own and a good therapist will help you with that.  :)
"Don't try to sleep through the end of the world and bury me alive. 'Cause I won't give up without a fight." - Panic! At The Disco
  •  

SarahMarie1987

Quote from: Delyth on May 02, 2015, 06:14:03 PM
I am starting therapy next week. As far as the psych is aware. My reasons are depression and anxiety. However the root cause for this is my gender dysphoria.
Is it a good idea before the appointment to try to get the psych on the phone to let her know about my gender issues,  or wait until the actual session.

I am in the same area as you are right now. I think you may be ahead though. ;-)

Right now I am trying to find a therapist. Locally, I've found a few prospective one on Psychology Today, but so far nothing with the one I have called. But I did find one who has experience with GLBT clients. So that could be the Universe giving me a sign there.

Wishing you all the luck my dear! You are a very brave and wonderful person to seek out help.
"I'm learning to be brave in my beautiful mistakes"- Pink
  •