Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Law & Order: SVU's case involving an MtF character

Started by urchin, April 02, 2015, 01:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urchin

I'm not sure if I'm in the right category or not, but this seemed to fit the best. It's not exactly news, but it was an event when it aired, and I think they hit it perfectly.

I've been bingeing Law & Order: SVU from season 1 and am now on season 4. As you all most likely know, Trans/Queer cases come up in this show every so often and it's a great opportunity as the early episodes at least use the dialogue to construe pro/con discussions between the charcaters who have varying beliefs, the show kind of turns into a debate on the moral topic at hand, which is partially why I love the show. Anyway, in season 4, episode 21 "Fallacy" (As the show centers around an MtF girl, we see what you did there, you can't deny it, writers)

I would recommend you all to go watch this episode (S4E21: Fallacy). It can be found on hulu+, but I know many of you have your ways.

The discussion in this show is really spot on and I just wish we could have representation like THIS nowadays instead of some of the bull we're getting. That's all you need, you don't need to make us special, or include us because we're different, we don't need to be the "special character", it doesn't matter if we're the main character or a side character, just don't throw sparkles over our heads and declare us "the queer character who is only here for diversity and who isn't actually a character at all but a one dimensional cutout so we can say he's there" that we seem to be getting instead.

I'm not really sure where I was going with that, but I would like to facilitate a discussion among ourselves on here to talk about what this show did differently, and how it is/isn't applied to current shows or maybe how it could be applied in the future. Any ideas?
  •  

Ms Grace

I don't know if that's the same episode I saw with a m2f character but apart from being played fairly obviously by a genetic female it had an incredibly tragic end [SPOILERS & TRIGGERING: sent a male prison and beaten to death] so yeah, that one was a real bummer. Maybe you're talking about a different episode?
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

urchin

Quote from: Ms Grace on April 02, 2015, 01:38:50 AM
I don't know if that's the same episode I saw with a m2f character but apart from being played fairly obviously by a genetic female it had an incredibly tragic end [SPOILERS & TRIGGERING: sent a male prison and beaten to death] so yeah, that one was a real bummer. Maybe you're talking about a different episode?

Yes, that was the episode. I actually believed that the actress was trans with hormones and maybe surgeries, due to her voice and facial structure mostly. But yeah, that was the episode.
  •  

Cindy

I like that show but don't recall the episode. But I do think the mainstream media is treating transgender people more sympathetically.

There was a very heartwarming episode of 'Sons of Anarchy' that I recall as being pertinent.
  •  

Devlyn

Plain old Law & Order did a transgender episode years and years ago, I saw that one.
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: urchin on April 02, 2015, 01:54:14 AM
I actually believed that the actress was trans with hormones and maybe surgeries, due to her voice and facial structure mostly.

If she is trans wikipedia doesn't know about it... ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Moennig

She does have a squarish jaw I suppose.

Anyway, the ending was quite depressing. No doubt based on many true stories. :'(
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

urchin

Quote from: Ms Grace on April 02, 2015, 07:40:45 AM
If she is trans wikipedia doesn't know about it... ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Moennig

She does have a squarish jaw I suppose.

Anyway, the ending was quite depressing. No doubt based on many true stories. :'(

Ah, I never looked it up. She seemed to me, at least, that she really could have been trans. But I realize how unlikely that would have been.

And it does. The ending is tragic, but part of the episode was showing the detectives trying very hard to remedy the situation, Genuinely.
  •  

urchin

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 02, 2015, 06:04:14 AM
Plain old Law & Order did a transgender episode years and years ago, I saw that one.

Yes, each show does trans* episodes every now and then, but I was thinking about discussing this specific episode because of the nature of how it was handled and how everything came off compared to (what I would call "proper representation/treatment of trans/queer characters" vs. improper rep....) this episode and current treatment of trans/queer characters in modern media
  •  

Cheska

Ah, I remember that episode, I saw it around the time I was preparing to come out.

Kate Moennig has played a few trans characters I believe, both MtF and FtM, she auditioned for the role of Brandon Teena in "Boys Don't Cry" too.
  •