Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Getting started

Started by PhoenixGurl2016, January 09, 2015, 10:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixGurl2016

Getting started what are some things I should have? Any brand or list of items? If you would like to give me tips I can send a picture of my face if needed

•  

Jessica_Rainshadow

Hey Amanda, this is a really broad question and I'm no expert but I'll try to help....The thing is every woman does things differently and to figure out what works best for you you either have to trial and error it or ask the sales people for advice or a make over. My wife has been helpful for me, but she's not really big on make up so I've done a lot of trial and error myself and also got some help at Sephora. Another thing is YouTube has million application technique videos that can be really helpful.

As far as what I do...I use a foundation primer then a powder foundation (bare minerals). Liquid doesnt work for me, it looks to shiny (although maybe I need to try some other brands). It depends on your skin type though. As far as shade, again you're either going to have to do trial and error or get some help in the store. Buy some nice-ish brushes, don't buy really cheap ones. Keep your brushes clean too, it can really effect your application. You can buy cleaner for them. I use liquid eyeliner. I've never been good with the pencil I just smear it everywhere. I also often use the half lid fake lashes. They really make your eyes pop but aren't really obvious like full fake lashes. Always use eye shadow primer, your eyeshadow will stick much better. Any cheap eye shadow is one thing that is really a waste. It will just kinda disappear. Just use a known brand, it doesnt have to be super expensive, just not cheap. Watch some videos for eyeshadow application. The trick is to blend well, you dont want a distinct line...eyeshadow is more like an accent...unless of course you're going for something really powerful. Mascara is one thing I often get frustrated with cause so much of it is goopy and doesnt apply well. I use Origins beyond the fringe mascara, which has a "lash builder" that helps to lift your lashes. And I always curl my lashes. If you have medium to long lashes curling them is a good idea because it brings out your eyes. So then brows, which are my nemesis...mine are really coarse and grow downward. I have plucked and tried to shape but I'm still not happy with them, but anyway I just use a anastasia pencil and I use the anastasia stencils, which are great. They really help you get a nice shaped eyebrow. And then lipstick of course. Shade really depends on your skin tone and also what you're wearing.

So that's a really quick run down of what I do, but again I'm no expert, my make up skills are very average!
  •  

Mariah

You need to know what your skin tone is and if your skin is dry, oily or some combination of the two. You also need to know what colors work best for your skin, hair, and eye color. Then you need to find the right foundation. If you don't have the skills their some great videos on you tube that can help with that. Online their are resources for all of this or you get a consult from a makeup artist to help you through all of this.
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

nicolegn7

Top 5:
1: Great Foundation: This is a must. It will soften your face and even out skin tone! Number one thing to have! *I use lots of expensive brands. If you can afford MUFE HD Foundation, it's great! Some other more affordable ones are MAC Studio Fix Fluid, Revlon Colorstay.*

2: Beauty Blender: Blends your foundation so it looks like skin!

3: Thickening Mascara: Thick lashes make your eyes appear more feminine. Forget lengthening as it can make your eyes look bigger and not that sexy

4): Bronzer: I prefer bronzer as it gives me a bronze beach glow opposed to blush. It will give color and glow to your complexion.

5: Good Skincare routine! Face Wash for your type *Kiehls Ultra Facial Cleanser is great!* Serum (Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair) and Cream/lotion depending on your skin type!
Got my surgery in my early 20's, now in my mid 20's living stealth

•  

nicolegn7

Also tend to stay in the medium range when it comes to makeup it. Not too much but not too little. Don't be using all these bright lipsticks, purple eyeshadow etc. Keep it neutral. Bronze/Brown nudes for eyes, black mascara, nude/neutral lip.
Got my surgery in my early 20's, now in my mid 20's living stealth

•  

spooky

If I were starting again the first few things I would get are:

Foundation + brush.  The brush is necessary for me but you may be comfortable using your fingers or makeup sponges, both of which are cheaper options.  My first foundation was from CoverFX and was extreme full coverage which I needed at the time but as soon as I made progress with laser I switched to MAC Studio Tech, which was less extreme.  Later I started using Kevyn Aucoin's Sensual Skin Enhancer, which is a really fabulous product for full-coverage yet natural-looking makeup, though it's pricey.  It's definitely worth it to approach a salesperson and have a conversation about your skin type and needs and not only will they be able to recommend a product, but they can help you find a color match as well.  Sephora can be a good place for this because they carry a wide array of brands.  For a brush, there's a brand called Real Techniques that makes really nice, affordable brushes that can be found online and maybe in stores too, not sure.

Powder, to keep your foundation in place.  The first one I ever bought was Ben Nye, which is cheap and decent enough quality to be found in many professional makeup artists' kits.  Elf makes a really nice, affordable one too.  You can get some inexpensive powder puffs or spend money on a brush, your choice.  I like to splurge on makeup when I can because it makes me feel pampered. :angel:

Contour, which can be a trans girl's best friend.  The first product I used for this was a very neutral taupe eyeshadow.  It's really important to use the right color for your skintone and to not go overboard, and might be more trouble than most people are willing to fuss with, but knowing my hairline and jaw were contoured down really helped me make it out of the house a lot of the earlier days in my transition.

Good tweezers.  You don't have to go nuts with your brow game but keeping them neat is helpful.  And there's nothing more frustrating than fighting against a flimsy or imprecise tool.  I like Tweezerman.

Mascara will do a lot for you.  I'm not super picky about mascaras, though I agree with the above note that volumizing formulas are more flattering than lengthening ones. 

You don't even NEED all of these things but it's a pretty solid starting point for normal daywear makeup.  The next thing I'd add would maybe be a lip liner in a natural shade and some chapstick.  I'd start simple and add fun things like lipstick and eyeshadow as the mood takes you.  Good skin care can make an enormous difference in your appearance and in the look and feel of your makeup too.  I spend crazy amounts of time and money on skincare but I still use a cleanser that you can buy at CVS (CeraVe).  Again, just start simple and build as you see fit.

You may suspect by the length of this post that I like talking about makeup so if you have any questions or whatever I'm always happy to add my two cents.

ETA:  You're going to think I'm insane but I actually use Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as a makeup primer during much of the year.  It is affordable and works fabulously for me except in summer, when the heat and humidity require something more hardcore.
:icon_chick:
  •  

Laura_7

Eyebrows make a big part...
you could have them shaped, which many say is best, or look up how to trim and shape a female form. You might trim from the underside first to give a lift optically.
Do this slowly, and look at the results often. Don't overdo it. You also might do this step by step over time.

You could look up a vid called "Plastic Surgery With MakeUp Fuller, Bigger Lips", its possible to do this with two lipsticks in unobtrusive colours.
A few minutes and its done... I'd recommend organic, two lipstick and a pencil.

hugs
  •