Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A.A. -- No 12 Step Program Here!

Started by Allison Wunderland, July 29, 2015, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allison Wunderland

Gender satire . . .

AA -- I've attended my share of AA . . . Alcoholics Anon. As a certifiable "non-ETOH-normative" let's note here that the 12 step program is entirely too anti-secular for me, doesn't work for me. (And yet I'm not drinking myself to death!)

In case you've never been, there's a series of rituals:

Introductions go . . . "I'm [state your first name], and I'm an alcoholic."

The group goes, "Hello, [repeat the name], Welcome!

Sit in a circle, drink coffee, relate personal experiences . . . Close with the "Serenity Prayer"

"God grant me the serenity to change the things I can change,
To accept the things I cannot change,
And the wisdom to know the difference."

Let's please emphasize here that AA is a life saver for some, and I heartily applaud anyone as member for whom this program works. Ya gotta work with what works for you!

------------------

AA -- "Ambivalent Anonymous"

"Hello, I haven't settled on a name yet, I'm still me, and I'm gender ambivalent . . . "

"Hello my friend/colleague/brother/sister . . . Welcome." 

-----------

No 12 Step, shuffle . . . Not necessarily.

Sponsors might offer brain-storming sessions about presentation, identity, the ontological metaphysics of ID.

Group discussion seems sine qua non --

I have an agenda . . . gawd knows ! ! ! But since it's not probably some universal epiphany, I'm gonna defer, listen to the discussion of others here.

We're satirical tongue-in-cheek, but also entirely serious (satire is serious discussion!) . . .

And so, let us turn the floor over to the  thread . . .

Thanks, and WELCOME ! ! !

"Let us appropriate & subvert the semiotic hegemony of the hetero-normative dyad."

"My performativity has changed since reading Dr. Judith Butler, Ph.D., Berkeley."
  •  

suzifrommd

Allison, I've got to confess, I have no idea what you're trying to say/ask.

I'm an atheist but I found my 12-step program not helped me get past my eating disorder, but also got me in touch with how an atheist/agnostic can be spiritual and use that spiritual power to find wisdom, strength, and peace.

It's helped me greatly with acceptance of the imperfect nature of my transition.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Allison Wunderland

I'm Buddhist . . . Atheist, but spiritual as it gets. "All things are manifestation of Buddha."

Support groups work.

Tongue in cheek, I'm proposing AA . . . andro-gyne anon . . . . AND NOT like the other AA, in some ways, but objectives like AA in other ways.

That's pretty much it . . . support group, just ironic that it might be called "A A" . . .

"Sponsors,"  mentors, guides, group support . . . it all works. We should organize these sorts of groups for our  brothers/sisters whomever they are.
"Let us appropriate & subvert the semiotic hegemony of the hetero-normative dyad."

"My performativity has changed since reading Dr. Judith Butler, Ph.D., Berkeley."
  •