Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Gliding and Flying

Started by Jessica_S, March 11, 2015, 05:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_S

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone on the forum was into soaring (gliding) or powered flying. I learned to fly back in Uni but haven't been able to afford it since (couldn't afford it at the time either but it was worth it  :) ) .
Was planning to get into gliding this summer, I've always liked the idea and its a relatively cheap way of getting into the air.

Love

Jessica
  •  

Dee Marshall

I used to fly. I stopped just after 9/11. Uncontrolled high blood pressure coupled with over controlled airports ended my flying days. Now I can't afford it.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Dani

Jessica,

I flew sailplanes back in the 1980's. It is pure flying, like the way soaring birds fly.

I got my license and flew about 100 flights and I moved away and got too busy with work to continue flying.

The cheapest way to fly gliders is to join a club.

There is a national association called SSA - Soring Society of America.

They have a web site that will list all active clubs in the US
  •  

jessical

I do powered flight.  I am actually a current CFI, but I am not teaching at the moment.  I have yet to try gliding, but I would love to.  For those in medical limbo, you don't need a medical for gliding.
  •  

Michaela Whimsy

For those in medical limbo LSA and ultralight licenses are easier to get passed on medical.  A few of the customers at that last place I worked (aircraft mechanic) went LSA when they couldn't pass the physical.  They were all old, like telling me stories about flying bombers over Europe old. 

Flying is expensive but I miss it like none other.  I have been looking into powered paragliding as an option.  Something about being completely in the open air is intriguing to me.  Being able to throw it in the car and take off almost anywhere and land anywhere is a huge added bonus.
  •  

Dee Marshall

I'm aware of the sportcraft rules. I used to belong to the EAA and assisted in building a couple of planes. I used to be good friends with a few people in the industry, attended Sun-n-Fun and other airshows. Camped at Oshkosh once. Even owned a Stinson 108. I miss it, but it's well beyond my means now. Anyway, I have a more important reconstruction job these days. ;)
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Jessica_S

I'm UK based although I did do my flying in and around San Diego back in the day.

Current plan is possibly to drift into touring motor gliders. Cheap to run, probably fun, and nice looking designs (tail-draggers for the most part too), LSA rules in the States too.

This one (Phoenix motor glider) you can swap out the tips to make it more glider or more LSA
  •  

ImagineKate

I used to fly with a friend and wanted to get my license but diabetes is going to make it difficult to get a medical since I take medication. That said I guess I could still fly sport lights.
  •  

Dee Marshall

I wonder if you can take those down the Hudson Valley Corridor? That's a beautiful ride. I did it once when I was still flying.

•  

ImagineKate

Probably. There are a lot of them who fly out of my local airport (FWN). There are some real antiques here too. A friend of mine (who used to be a delta check pilot) has a few, one is an old French fighter plane, complete with spoked wheels and you have to crank the propeller to start.

Anyway I may still try to get my certificate. Won't hurt to try I guess. Since I'm well controlled it shouldn't be as bad as say someone taking insulin.
  •  

Maegan

Oh sweeeeeet!!

More girls that fly! I thought I was the only one. :D

I stopped flying about two years ago. I was also a CFI until I sold my flying school and relocated to the coast. I really really miss it a lot. I considered renewing my helicopter license a couple of months ago, but after seeing the hourly rate, I nearly fainted.  :o

Oh well, I at least have just over 10 000 hours under my belt, or should that be garter?

Maybe one day again..............

Huggs

Maegan

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
  •  

CollieLass

Quote from: Maegan on March 20, 2015, 10:25:33 AM
Oh sweeeeeet!!

More girls that fly! I thought I was the only one. :D

Another aviatrix here!  :icon_wave:

Built and fly my own Rutan LongEz 'canard' sportplane.
  •  

Northern Jane

I got my Private license in 1980 and rebuilt a 1946 Champion aircraft from a wreck. I haven't actively flown in 30 years but would only need a little dual  time and a new medical to get back into it. In 1980, 6 years post. the only question was where I had surgery done - it was in the U.S. and that seemed fine for the aviation  medical, at least as far as the Commercial medical.
  •  

jenifer_n

I graduated high school with my A/P license but never got to use it - While in the Air Force I was stationed in Maryland and they had a flying club so I was taking lessions at the unheard rate of five dollars an hour wet with instructor - I was about 5 hours short of certifying when my enlistment ended and I ended up in the civilian world and of course jobless - Going hourly rate for flying schools nearby was fifty dollars for the instructor plus seventy five for the plane plus fuel - Needless to say it ended my desire to fly

be well
jenifer
  •  

Cindi Jones

I used to hang glide. It was a death wish at the time, but it sure was a thrill.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Dee Marshall

A lot of us had death wish type hobbies, Cindi. In my case planes, motorcycles, snorkeling and extreme camping.

•  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Dee Walker on March 21, 2015, 06:00:23 PM
A lot of us had death wish type hobbies, Cindi. In my case planes, motorcycles, snorkeling and extreme camping.

I don't know what you consider to be extreme camping, but short of hanging on cliff walls, I've been there too. I used to take 10 to 12 day trips into the Sierra back country and cross the divide into no mans land. It was wonderful. Post holing through the snow across the high Sierra  passes was quite an experience. It's easy to break an ankle so far from nothing. This year should be great for backpackers though, for the first time in my lifetime there is no snowpack up there. California will have no water next year according to NASA. Won't that be spiffy? I hope I can sell this place this summer. Anyone want a nice little house on 40 acres near Yosemite?

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: Cindi Jones on March 21, 2015, 07:45:29 PM
I don't know what you consider to be extreme camping, but short of hanging on cliff walls, I've been there too. I used to take 10 to 12 day trips into the Sierra back country and cross the divide into no mans land. It was wonderful. Post holing through the snow across the high Sierra  passes was quite an experience. It's easy to break an ankle so far from nothing. This year should be great for backpackers though, for the first time in my lifetime there is no snowpack up there. California will have no water next year according to NASA. Won't that be spiffy? I hope I can sell this place this summer. Anyone want a nice little house on 40 acres near Yosemite?

Cindi
Well we have nothing like your terrain, of course. I like to head out into the woods alone with ten pounds of gear including water, a filter and some food. Our mountains are rather worn down and our poisonous reptiles are pitiful, some tiny rattlers and some water moccasins. The same or similar large mammals to avoid, bears,coyotes, mountain lions. Rumors of wolves. There are few places where you're far from cell phone range. Used to go out alone, which is rather foolish. What you've done sounds lovely!

•  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Dee Walker on March 21, 2015, 08:51:56 PM
Well we have nothing like your terrain, of course. I like to head out into the woods alone with ten pounds of gear including water, a filter and some food. Our mountains are rather worn down and our poisonous reptiles are pitiful, some tiny rattlers and some water moccasins. The same or similar large mammals to avoid, bears,coyotes, mountain lions. Rumors of wolves. There are few places where you're far from cell phone range. Used to go out alone, which is rather foolish. What you've done sounds lovely!

Yes, it is lovely. I wish I could stay. But since hubby left, I'm really lonely. I do have lots of friends but it's at least a half hour trip to see any of them. Those are the pitfalls of country life, I suppose.

If you go out my backyard and down the dirt road a few blocks you can look right up Yosemite canyon 30 miles away. I take a telescope out there from time to time and look at El Capitan and Half Dome. I used to get up to the park several times a year and take scope. I'd spend some time at glacier point and let visitors watch the crazies (like me, I did it) who have climbed half dome run around on top. Then in the afternoon, I go down to the valley and set the scope up out in the valley where we can watch the climbers on El Capitan. For those days, I think I'm the most popular person in the world. You would not believe how many people send emails to me from all around the world thanking me for letting them look through my telescope.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •