Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Competitive sport

Started by IAmChris, May 10, 2015, 03:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAmChris

Just wondering if anyone is able to share their experience of participating in competitive sports, both before and after transition?

I have not yet started to transition medically, and one of my worries is how it will affect my ability to participate in sports with competitive selection - I may end up a lot happier with my body and how I am perceived, but unable to continue doing the things I enjoy most.

At the moment I am very much into rowing and compete in a ladies crew (this doesn't sit entirely comfortably with me, but I am too competitive to pass by on the chance to race). As soon as I start on T, I know that I would be unable to compete with the ladies. However, I have far from the ideal physique for a rower (very short, even by female standards, at 5'2") and I fear that I would never be able to raise my game enough to be selected for a men's crew.

I know that I could continue to row socially, but I really don't think I would get the same enjoyment from that - it is the being part of a team, training hard together and racing that really has me hooked on the sport.
  •  

Mariah

Hi Chris, Welcome to Susan's. I'm not sure on what affect it will have your ability to complete athletically. I'm sure someone else can answer your question though. I look forward to seeing you around the site. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah

Please check out the following links for site rules, helpful tips and other info...

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Northern Jane

That could be tough in a team sport! You may have to settle for 'recreational' or adult competition where the emphasis is on DOING rather than winning titles.

I was a figure skater as a teen but did not have the muscle mass to compete with the boys but was legally "male" so could not have competed in the women's division. I was in my 50s when the I.O.C. finally came down with a clear ruling on 'post-transition athletes' and I went back to figure skating. I am bigger and heavier than most of the girls (which is a HUGE disadvantage in figure skating) but I DID get to compete, twice at the National level, and have a National Bronze medal hanging on my wall! I would never have had a chance to win a national medal in the juvenile division so my motto is "Outlast the competition!" ;)
  •  

katrinaw

Welcome to Susan's Chris, I have not been in competitive sports, ever, but I certainly have entered into localised general entrant competitions, like snow skiing and, as a teen, ice skating (barrel jumping and speed skating) where you had mixed gender's often, so was never a real concern.

But I cant really help you with competitive tho, sorry

But nice to have you join us!

L Katy  :-*
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

IAmChris

Thanks for your replies. Jane - good to hear that you did eventually make it back to figure skating and congratulations on your medals! Maybe I have to think more long term :)

I accept that I am unlikely to be able to beat many other men, and it will be a case of competing against myself and working to improve upon my own times, but I am worried that I won't be able to do even this if I leave my current crew and am unable to get into another.

I can see that I would probably have to satisfy myself with social rowing, at least until the hormone effects have really kicked in. There's not much opportunity for racing if you're not competitive enough - we only have a couple of racing boats and they obviously go to the the best crews, and there are no other clubs I could go to (not that I would want to leave my current one anyway!).
  •